IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

What you said about depression rings true, it might give you insight, but can also rob motivation and productivity.

Awesome post, lmup!

The quoted sentence is also beautifully concise. Well put!

Guest bitroast

omg.

this is such a beautiful album.

nothing is real. :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :')

Guest bitroast

omg.

this is such a beautiful album.

nothing is real. :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :') :')

i think i understand how people are calling this soundtrack music. it's so evocative and emotional. it's a trip. through nastiness and beauty.

in awe of this album ^~^

Guest bitroast

the joy of listening to this album was a cross between the production-awe of autechre's exai and evocative melodies-awe of ceephax's cro magnox.

((while being a sort of dark and gloomy followup to geogaddi and sounding 100% like old-school current-gen boc)).

*crying* thank you, 2013.

Yeah, second listen through and it's really doing it for me. So excellent.

edit, damn, that bass in Cold Earth, woahhh

Edited by modey

I'm getting really excited about hearing this now (have avoided hearing anything except 'Reach for the Dead'.) Just want to be prepared, though; I read in The Skinny that "although impeccably produced, much of Tomorrow's Harvest feels tentative in nature (understandable given how long BOC have been AWOL) with numerous tracks petering out before developing into anything particularly engaging."

Is that true? I find those kinds of structural/development issues in tracks the hardest to deal with in some ways. A track can be flawed (to my ears) but if it at least developes towards something interesting and sounds 'finished', it'll be relatively easy to enjoy.

Guest Aces

I'm getting really excited about hearing this now (have avoided hearing anything except 'Reach for the Dead'.) Just want to be prepared, though; I read in The Skinny that "although impeccably produced, much of Tomorrow's Harvest feels tentative in nature (understandable given how long BOC have been AWOL) with numerous tracks petering out before developing into anything particularly engaging."

Is that true? I find those kinds of structural/development issues in tracks the hardest to deal with in some ways. A track can be flawed (to my ears) but if it at least developes towards something interesting and sounds 'finished', it'll be relatively easy to enjoy.

You'll just have to listen to it and decide for yourself. There isn't a consensus on it, I mean with music taste being subjective and all.

Tracks like Palace Posy develop very nicely. Great ending on that one. Some very minimal synth interludes in there that don't go anywhere but sound good and fit the mood. Sundown is a beautiful track... New Seeds is also awesome and develops nicely. I guess in the middle, around Ferox / Sick Times it gets a little repetitive, but the rest are very nice

You'll just have to listen to it and decide for yourself. There isn't a consensus on it, I mean with music taste being subjective and all.

That's true. But I guess a track petering out before really developing into something new, or going into a new musical idea but cutting it short just before it 'gets going' - I guess it's subjective as to whether that's a bad or good thing, but a bit more objective in terms of what is going on with the music? What I mean is, if a track has 4 minutes of the same musical sounds repeating and then at the end, for 30 seconds, something new occurs, most people would be able to agree on that, even if some would say it's a stroke of genius what with how it leaves you wanting more and others would find it unsatisfying. :-)

Tracks like Palace Posy develop very nicely. Great ending on that one. Some very minimal synth interludes in there that don't go anywhere but sound good and fit the mood. Sundown is a beautiful track... New Seeds is also awesome and develops nicely. I guess in the middle, around Ferox / Sick Times it gets a little repetitive, but the rest are very nice

Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to the little atmospheric interludes as much as I am the 'main' tracks, but it's great to hear that the main ones themselves 'go somewhere'.

Edited by Lianne

I think some of my favourite ever pieces are the ones that leaving you wanting more. I'm sure it's deliberate.

Keeps you coming back again and again.

"I think we are trying to do that more and more now," says Sandison. "I like to think that where we are going is trying to compose totally horizontally. The vertical way of composing is the lazy way, where you just build stuff up and build stuff up, and then just bring them in and out. I think the way we work is so much more orchestrated, so that you can hear something that just happens, and you want it to carry on because it’s so tantalizing, and you want to hear it again and again. We both understand the principle that if you put something beautiful into a piece of music just once, it makes people put the record back on because they want to hear it again."

Old XLR8R interview.

Edited by fumi

These tracks are ALL too short, and the editing is horrible. It almost makes their creativity work against them, with the average track length at about 3 1/2 minutes!! Why aren't these tracks given time to develop and sink in? They're great tracks otherwise. Oh well, I guess I'm just fucked.

These tracks are ALL too short, and the editing is horrible. It almost makes their creativity work against them, with the average track length at about 3 1/2 minutes!! Why aren't these tracks given time to develop and sink in? They're great tracks otherwise. Oh well, I guess I'm just fucked.

I thought it flowed beautifully, although there was one jarring transition, can't remember where though.

That's true. But I guess a track petering out before really developing into something new, or going into a new musical idea but cutting it short just before it 'gets going' - I guess it's subjective as to whether that's a bad or good thing, but a bit more objective in terms of what is going on with the music? What I mean is, if a track has 4 minutes of the same musical sounds repeating and then at the end, for 30 seconds, something new occurs, most people would be able to agree on that, even if some would say it's a stroke of genius what with how it leaves you wanting more and others would find it unsatisfying. :-)

Well, would you describe Reach For The Dead that way and how did you like that track? :smile: I listened to the Radio One stream of that one and for the first couple of minutes I wasn't that impressed, but it opens up nicely doesn't it?

I felt similarly about some tracks of the first half of the album but most of them had a nice payoff towards the end as with RFTD. The second half was different, or maybe I'd gotten used to it at that point. Can't wait to hear it again to be honest.

I thought it flowed beautifully, although there was one jarring transition, can't remember where though.

I was so in love with it, despite this. Maybe I just played it one too many times last night... I'm gonna keep an open mind, and hope for the best. It's just frustrating, when you're REALLY into a track, and the volume just fades out....... and... wtf happened?? I was LISTENING TO THAT!!!!!

I was so in love with it, despite this. Maybe I just played it one too many times last night... I'm gonna keep an open mind, and hope for the best. It's just frustrating, when you're REALLY into a track, and the volume just fades out....... and... wtf happened?? I was LISTENING TO THAT!!!!!

Honestly, I was worried about the track lengths at first, but after last night, I didn't even notice. I know what you mean though, some tracks did kind of finish when I didn't expect them to, but that isn't a bad thing in terms of how the tracks are listened (i.e. on the album), I guess it might be a bigger problem if you wanted individual tracks but who would want that?

Honestly, I was worried about the track lengths at first, but after last night, I didn't even notice. I know what you mean though, some tracks did kind of finish when I didn't expect them to, but that isn't a bad thing in terms of how the tracks are listened (i.e. on the album), I guess it might be a bigger problem if you wanted individual tracks but who would want that?

I don't know man. Like I said, I may have just burned out last night on the 5th listen. In trying to keep an open mind, I'll focus on the fact that it's a whole album, but I really would have loved more tracks around the 6 or 7 minute mark.

I don't know man. Like I said, I may have just burned out last night on the 5th listen. In trying to keep an open mind, I'll focus on the fact that it's a whole album, but I really would have loved more tracks around the 6 or 7 minute mark.

This record is definitely better than TCH (and I loved that), that's all I can really say right now. I hope you get over that hill, would be a shame if you didn't, there's a lot to like here.

This record is definitely better than TCH (and I loved that), that's all I can really say right now. I hope you get over that hill, would be a shame if you didn't, there's a lot to like here.

I know, and thank you.