IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

When I asked about whether you get a free lossless download with physical pre-orders, they said "we have recently changed our stance on this as we have found the cost of delivering lossless files to all customers to be too high", seems weird cause I can't really imagine that many people are gonna buy the vinyl and then buy a FLAC version too, and if they are hosting the FLAC files for other non pre-order customers anyway, where are this costs coming in?

great so i will have a stream rip on monday?

what is the point of holding these files back? i sound like a broken record stream

I would hope the digital files will be made available right after the broadcast.

RE: Rolling Stone - the fact Dubstep was mentioned several times proves the author doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. This album is as far away from Dubstep (even influenced) as you can get.

When I asked about whether you get a free lossless download with physical pre-orders, they said "we have recently changed our stance on this as we have found the cost of delivering lossless files to all customers to be too high", seems weird cause I can't really imagine that many people are gonna buy the vinyl and then buy a FLAC version too, and if they are hosting the FLAC files for other non pre-order customers anyway, where are this costs coming in?

that's cool. just means that it will drive people to download FLAC files from other sources.

doesn't matter, they still have a sale.

that's cool. just means that it will drive people to download FLAC files from other sources.

I think the Exai debacle (crashing their servers due to demand, and probably they got hit with massive overage costs from AWS) precluded this. There might have not been enough demand for FLAC to warrant it, either.

Mark my words - Bleep and boardsofcanada.com will crater like never before when Tomorrow's Harvest streams and/or the digital downloads are released.

Perhaps that's why they haven't up until now...?

I think the Exai debacle (crashing their servers due to demand, and probably they got hit with massive overage costs from AWS) precluded this. There might have not been enough demand for FLAC to warrant it, either.

Mark my words - Bleep and boardsofcanada.com will crater like never before when Tomorrow's Harvest streams and/or the digital downloads are released.

But Bleep went down when Oversteps was released.

and when Move of Ten was released.

and of course, when Exai was released.

if they were making the decision based on whether the site could stand up, they made the decision pretty late if you ask me.

In any case, FLACs from the CD will show up on the internet on the night of 4th June UK time (which would be morning Japanese), so it's all cool. FLACs will be available to those who want them.

I should leave the Rolling Stone article alone, but this comment: "...electronic music just ain't what it used to be." That's a sentiment I've read a lot of 'mainstream' (and not so mainstream actually) journalists write. But I've heard some of the best electronic music I've ever heard within the last few years. And of course there's garbage, as there always was, but there are also genuinely new and exciting musical levels being hit at the moment, and I mostly hear them being hit in electronic music. I know 'electronic music' is hard to define now anyway, because it's in everything, but the way some electronic-ey production/synth tricks are being incorporated in pop music or whatever is also sometimes interesting.

Anyway, I guess overall it's the same ratio of good/bad as it always was. But it's definitely not worse, and where there isn't retro-fetishism going down, production and sounds are still getting more and more refined and interesting in a few places. Unfortunately if enough journalists proclaim that electronic electronic music (whatever that is) isn't interesting or relevant anymore, some people will probably believe them and hear all new electronic releases through that lens of cynicism and lack of appreciation.

Edited by Lianne

^I've always found that to be such a defeating and lazy argument/opinion, regardless of what genre is in question.

God, that article sucks. "Track-by-Track" preview, but it only discusses less than half of the tracks. Also, what's with the claim that the album has been influenced by dubstep. No other preview has mentioned that, and nothing I heard suggests this. And these references to "Digital Mystikz" or whatever as BOC's alleged influences? Implausible. FInally, saying that "Reach for the Dead" was the only "leaked" track betrays a failure of understanding what the word "leaked" means.

god i hate music journos.

"Sick Times"
Returning to more modern influences, "Sick Times" combines the warbled bass of a Burial track with BoC's signature feeling of mellow detachment.

has this person heard any music pre-dubstep?

Never thought I'd see the day when Boards would become mainstream enough for Rolling Stone Magazine.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/boards-of-canada-return-with-tomorrows-harvest-track-by-track-20130531

A new low, in my opinion.

Almost as bad as a "thank you" card from Twoism.

Almost.

I would hope the digital files will be made available right after the broadcast.

RE: Rolling Stone - the fact Dubstep was mentioned several times proves the author doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. This album is as far away from Dubstep (even influenced) as you can get.

Rolling Stone reminds me that Pitchfork isn't that bad after all. They have always had the most godawful and insincere stance toward music since their original writers started leaving in the 70s. They bank off the fact that people assume they are the NYT of music journalism - they've never celebrated a rising artist or genre and instead compile top 100 lists after they have a decade or so of better reviews and articles to ape. That author doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and he doesn't care. And RS doesn't care that he doesn't give a shit. The only difference between them and People Magazine or the E! network is they publish left-wing opinion articles. (I googled the author btw, he looks like your typical college grad in journalism who doesn't have a favorite album or favorite band or a passion for any past music and just writes because he wants to say he's a writer - this is the only non pop-rock or top40 rap article he's written besides the BoC one - http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/05/mount_kimbie_bowery_review.php)

Zappa had a point when he declared "Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." This is the editorial shit we usually ignore but there's plenty of it out there.

Edited by joshuatx

I remember as a young chap hearing about the 'legendary Rolling Stone magazine' like it was something so awesome like the Turin Shroud. Rolling Stone this, Rolling Stone that etc etc. Then (when I was a bit older but still a young chap) you could buy it in WHSmith, I remember seeing it for the first time on the shelves and I'm not joking I could hardly believe my eyes. I skimmed the pages and decided in a few seconds flat it was complete and utter horseshit lol. It had no grit whatsoever.

if they were making the decision based on whether the site could stand up, they made the decision pretty late if you ask me.

In any case, FLACs from the CD will show up on the internet on the night of 4th June UK time (which would be morning Japanese), so it's all cool. FLACs will be available to those who want them.

Well, (fourth) time's a charm, right?

So perhaps they finally have wised up that their big artists have a rabid fanbase and their servers cannot handle the demand.

So perhaps they finally have wised up that their big artists have a rabid fanbase and their servers cannot handle the demand.

I guess we'll see when the Autechre EP comes out. Either way, I'm alright because for some stupid fucking reason I decided to buy the CD as well as the Vinyl. oh well.

I guess we'll see when the Autechre EP comes out. Either way, I'm alright because for some stupid fucking reason I decided to buy the CD as well as the Vinyl. oh well.

I wanted the art cards, plus better-than-mp3 files.

I wanted the art cards, plus better-than-mp3 files.

I've got a bad feeling that these 'art cards' will be exactly the same as the artwork on the inner sleeves of the records. And If I want better than MP3 files, I have my sources.

maybe i'm way off base here but the same technology that makes unique hashes for downloads can also be applied to private torrents, along with about 10 other ways media can be presented without your point of sale site taking the piss because of server demand because people are downloading over http

from an IT perspective bleep is like geocities

ipv9si.jpg

Edited by sysyphus

art cards, i mean :/ three 12x12 art flats with the vinyls be more like it. cheap skates

Neil Krugs prints alone start at $500 at said size. make it worthwhile bleep, print off a few flats for the lads and lasses

fucking art cards, this aint bubble gum sticker cards we're collecting, send them to the isms

Daft Punk, Kanye, and Boards of Canada: The Gimmicky World of Music Marketing

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/05/music_marketing_gimmick.php

It's the Internet age. Music is the art form now that's consumed to the point of gobbling. Between free programs like Rdio and Spotify, and advance streaming services including Pitchfork Advance and the recently launched Press Play (via The New York Times) it's truly never been easier to listen. Why schlep to the record store when you can listen to virtually anything for free and from the comfort of your bed?

Yet two 40-something French robots are the most wanted men to unmask. The most infamous rapper alive projected his face onto sixty-five city walls around the globe last week, shattering the sphere between public and private space. Obscure coordinates rewarded the ears of those fortunate enough to retreat to the California desert, revealing a shadowy electronica group's newest work eight years in the making.

This is what we talk about when we talk about music in 2013.

But how is it that these anomalies exist? By pure statistics, they shouldn't. Streaming programs convenient for the listener aren't exactly conducive for the artist. As detailed in aNew York Times article from January, services like Spotify and Pandora give artists a fraction of a cent every time a song is played. Unless you can afford to live off a $1,500 check for every 1.5 million listens, you can't expect to make a living from the meager cents earned.

Still, the divide between artist and audience is rapidly shrinking. With a program such as Ableton, you can now record your parakeet Nancy warbling over your tap-dancing niece's fancy feet, and sample your apartment's gurgling radiator too. So how are artists and labels -- who have the "death of the industry" storm cloud already pouring over them -- fighting to capture listeners' ears and shortened attention spans? How do you find ways to make people care about new music? Excited to the point of exerting effort to achieve it?

One of the cornerstones of marketing is obvious: hype sells. So does mystery. Something about the helmeted Daft Punk gives you a sense of unease and excitement -- because who the hell knows what they'll do next? Kanye is an outrageous person by definition, but "New Slaves" has reignited a series of conversations about race, appropriation and modern slavery. The elusive Boards of Canada could afford to send fans on a rat race -- hiding fragmented clues inside of Record Store Day vinyl releases to piece together a source code revealing details about their new album Tomorrow's Harvest.

In an effort to keep listeners craving information, music marketing is also using the Internet -- but to actually guide listeners outside of the online sphere. Scavenger hunts are classic camp activities, staples of company bonding retreats and now apparently the premiere way to ensare listeners. Earlier on Wednesday, English math-stompers Foals tweeted: "Portland, we've hidden 2 tickets for tonight's show here: 45.52229, -122.67034." Similarly, last Monday, Boards of Canada tweeted the coordinates for a location near the desert town of Yermo, California, indicating that "something" would occur there at five o'clock PST. For the lucky sixty people who showed up, Tomorrow's Harvest blasted from start to finish from a set of speakers attached to a trailer.

Then, there are the strategies that test audiences' abilities directly. "Win a Date With Marnie Stern" accepted willing gentlemen's applications for an afternoon with the smart songwriter in promotion of her latest The Chronicles of Marnia, while the cryptic Daft Punk ads on SNL, wheat-pasted ads and soundbite "collaborator videos" tested sanities.

But that's the thing: These artists can afford it. They've have built their notoriety gradually, and now boast a widened fan base that borders on cult. For up-and-coming rappers, homegrown means of grassroots marketing and social media can only do so much when you're competing with sixty-story projection schemes.

Are today's music marketing strategies are either a.) just gimmicks, or b.) gimmicks that actually get listeners roused up and off the couch? Perhaps both, but billboard secrecy and building projections are just the beginning for a widened palate for music marketing strategies to come. However, the real answer might not come till 2014, when conspiracy theorists claim Tupac is supposed to re-emerge, and he'll look his hologram straight in the eye.

Now that's something I'd watch projected on a building.

Edited by fumi

Kanye is an outrageous person "by definition", apparently. As a serious student of analytic philosophy, I fucking hate how that phrase is misused and cheapened. No one is any sort of person "by definition". Kanye's outrageousness is an accidental mode, a contingent property. He's not a fucking word.

Then, there are the strategies that test audiences' abilities directly. "Win a Date With Marnie Stern" accepted willing gentlemen's applications for an afternoon with the smart songwriter in promotion of her latest The Chronicles of Marnia

I lost a lot of respect for Marnie Stern because of that, not because of the premise itself, but because just a couple years ago she gave Best Coast a ton of shit for writing songs about boys and cats and weed. Then she promotes her new album with a pun title and a date contest?

tumblr_m968qbD57C1qbg15ro1_500.gif

I think lumping BoC with Kanye and Daft Punk is a weak comparison. You're talking about completely different core fanbases. At Lake Dolores fans showed up, mingled, stayed politely quiet during the album showcase, and complied with the request to turn off videos after the first few songs. If Kanye or Daft Punk tried such a stunt, even a well planned crypic one, it would of resulted in police crowd control, media presence and a plethora of fucking assholes with cameraphones annoying the fuck out of the few fans there solely for the music.