IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

I wrote Bleep yesterday, asking them about the vinyl weight. Here's their reply:

"The vinyl is 140 gramm I am told.

Also, this item is now back in stock.

Thank you for your interest and suggestion. I will pass this along to Warp.

Bleep Support"

'standard' vinyl pressing then, as I thought.

oh well. nevermind!

I suggested to Bleep that they make a few 180 gram pressings. How difficult could that be? Yeah I'm nitpicking but why not go for higher quality? I thought BoC were supposed to be 'perfectionists' or something :emotawesomepm9:

edit: just saw your question joyrex

Higher quality? I don't think 180 g makes a difference in terms of quality, it only usually affects the price. And not in a good way.

180g vinyl = thicker vinyl = deeper cuts

Exai was my first 180 gram vinyl, and while I can't conclude anything from that sample size, it sounds fucking incredible compared to everything else in my fairly shit collection. Granted, Skull Snap EP and Steinvord sound a bit shit anyway, so...

not only does 180 gram vinyl offer the possibility of deeper cuts, but also the record is less likely to warp, and thus there is less chance of wow being introduced during playback.

so yes, 180 gram vinyl is higher quality, unless you don't understand physics.

that's what "they" want you to believe. in the 60s or 70s records were pressed 140 or 155g, even 120g and they sounded much better than most of the 180g today. fact.

if by 'they' you mean 'your ears', then yes.

Guest jasondonervan

not only does 180 gram vinyl offer the possibility of deeper cuts, but also the record is less likely to Warp™, and thus there is less chance of wow being introduced during playback.

so yes, 180 gram vinyl is higher quality, unless you don't understand physics.

In this case, I should hope not!

don't get me wrong. if it's pressed right and mastered right i prefer 180g (virgin) vinyl, too. but only if it says "180g audiophile bla, bla, bla" doesn't automatically make it sound good.

I have many 'standard' weight vinyl (120 gram? 140 gram?) records and quite a few of them are visibly warped.

of all the 180 gram editions I have (quite a few), zero are visibly warped.

that is a sign of quality that can only be denied if you have no grasp on physics.

I wrote Bleep yesterday, asking them about the vinyl weight. Here's their reply:

Bleep Support"

oh well. nevermind!

I suggested to Bleep that they make a few 180 gram pressings. How difficult could that be? Yeah I'm nitpicking but why not go for higher quality? I thought BoC were supposed to be 'perfectionists' or something :emotawesomepm9:

Higher quality? I don't think 180 g makes a difference in terms of quality, it only usually affects the price. And not in a good way.

That's such BS. No record is cut deep enough for the difference to matter, and 120 g runs from the same masters are regularly done by places like RTI that are in to the 180 g for audiophile virgins thing. Believe what you want, but I'm saving my money.

Also, the only warped records I have were sold to me warped, what happened to looking after your stuff?

Edited by manmower

Bleep Support"

oh well. nevermind!

That's such BS. No record is cut deep enough for the difference to matter, and 120 g runs from the same masters are regularly done by places like RTI that are in to the 180 g for audiophile virgins thing. Believe what you want, but I'm saving my money.

don't get me wrong. if it's pressed right and mastered right i prefer 180g (virgin) vinyl, too. but only if it says "180g audiophile bla, bla, bla" doesn't automatically make it sound good.

I have many 'standard' weight vinyl (120 gram? 140 gram?) records and quite a few of them are visibly warped.

of all the 180 gram editions I have (quite a few), zero are visibly warped.

that is a sign of quality that can only be denied if you have no grasp on physics.

are we talking about sound or warped vinyl?

warped vinyl = worse quality sound.

Bleep Support"

oh well. nevermind!

Also, the only warped records I have were sold to me warped, what happened to looking after your stuff?

only warped records I have were sold to me directly from the label / from retail, and were warped from the moment I took off the shrink wrap.

Bleep Support"

oh well. nevermind!

only warped records I have were sold to me directly from the label / from retail, and were warped from the moment I took off the shrink wrap.

Sounds like a good time to send them back if you're that anal about it. You could even write an accompanying physics essay on how they should have added 60 g of vinyl and made deeper cuts.

Bleep Support"

oh well. nevermind!

Sounds like a good time to send them back if you're that anal about it. You could even write an accompanying physics essay on how they should have added 60 g of vinyl and made deeper cuts.

I got in touch with Bleep about Bibio - The Apple And The Tooth, they sent me another copy...which was exactly the same. Also of note, I wasn't the only person on here who had this problem with this release specifically.

Sounds like you have a case of denial, so much so that you have to get all WATMM and come back with a sarcastic retort. How quintessentially WATMM

quite.jpeg

i lent a friend my mike dred 94k live vinyl and he returned it to me warped. I figured it was impossible to fix without ruining the sound, but I sat the vinyl between heavy dictionaries for months with no results. anyone ever hear of a fix for warped vinyl?

I would gladly pay for a deluxe edition boc 180g, 45rpm quadruple vinyl package that includes something cool like finger puppets or a time machine. those hefty records just feel right.

i lent a friend my mike dred 94k live vinyl and he returned it to me warped. I figured it was impossible to fix without ruining the sound, but I sat the vinyl between heavy dictionaries for months with no results. anyone ever hear of a fix for warped vinyl?

I would gladly pay for a deluxe edition boc 180g, 45rpm quadruple vinyl package that includes something cool like finger puppets or a time machine. those hefty records just feel right.

put it in the oven, gas mark 5, for 40 mins.

sprinkle cheese on top.

I've heard doing the same (heavy clamped objects) and leaving it in a heated environment (car for an hour in the summer, etc.) to get the vinyl to slowly go back to it's original shape. YMMV, though.

Guest igloos unlmtd

My original otherwise mint The Honeycombs - Have I The Right 45RPM warped on me. I haven't tried it but supposedly putting it between two heavy pieces of heavy glass out in the sun during the summer should do the trick.

Also I have owned some of those RCA flexi's from the 70's (david bowie, I think) & they sounded just as good as 180gram.

The last Beachwood Sparks album came out on 2x 180Gram 45RPM 12" & it totally rips.

Overall I believe the trick with vinyl is keeping dirt & dust from getting in the grooves.

Edited by igloos unlmtd

Guest P0rtralia

One of the tracks Sick Times is on youtube whether it's legit or not who knows, I'm not sure i want to listen to it in isolation

And igloos Tarnished Gold is an absolute gem of an album

Edited by P0rtralia