IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

how to be a good listener

1) place yourself in the musicians shoes. it is often too easy to wonder how what the musician is trying to telling you impacts you. active listening is not about inward thinking. instead, you must look at the music from the musicians perspective and actively try to see his or her point of view. it is not a good idea to consider yourself to be smarter than the musician or the music and assume that if you had been the one to make it, you would have seen your way through the problems. remember, you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.

2) create a conducive physical and mental listening space. remove all distractions. give the music all of your attention. turn off all cell phones and computers. it may be easiest to arrange to listen somewhere where distractions are guaranteed not to occur. quiet yourself and open yourself to the music. do not chew with your headphones on. if you must listen with cellphones and computers, perhaps asking them to read these instructions along with you to prevent any questions or conflict. it is ok to be opinionated and speak your mind to these devices. remember, you are not here to serve them, they are here to serve you.

3) stop talking, try to be silent. it might sound obvious and trite, but one of the biggest obstacles to listening, for many people, is resisting the impulse to fart. likewise, still others think that this is a good way to show their affection for the music. this can be true, but can also, easily be abused. it is best to keep your asshole sealed tight until the music has finished. allow the farts to burst inward, and allow the music to unfold. this small sacrifice can be a way of saying thank you.

I think it's quite enjoyable. But I also don't think that just because it's by BoC that musically it's way over my head and that it will take years before I peel back the complex layers and conceptual meaning and have an epiphany. This is not that kind of music for me.

1) place yourself in the musicians shoes. it is often too easy to wonder how what the musician is trying to telling you impacts you. active listening is not about inward thinking. instead, you must look at the music from the musicians perspective and actively try to see his or her point of view. it is not a good idea to consider yourself to be smarter than the musician or the music and assume that if you had been the one to make it, you would have seen your way through the problems. remember, you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.

2) create a conducive physical and mental listening space. remove all distractions. give the music all of your attention. turn off all cell phones and computers. it may be easiest to arrange to listen somewhere where distractions are guaranteed not to occur. quiet yourself and open yourself to the music. do not chew with your headphones on. if you must listen with cellphones and computers, perhaps asking them to read these instructions along with you to prevent any questions or conflict. it is ok to be opinionated and speak your mind to these devices. remember, you are not here to serve them, they are here to serve you.

3) stop talking, try to be silent. it might sound obvious and trite, but one of the biggest obstacles to listening, for many people, is resisting the impulse to fart. likewise, still others think that this is a good way to show their affection for the music. this can be true, but can also, easily be abused. it is best to keep your asshole sealed tight until the music has finished. allow the farts to burst inward, and allow the music to unfold. this small sacrifice can be a way of saying thank you.

flol

edit: *fart*

Edited by vincentvc

still no blerp package in the mail. whether the shirt nor the record.

it usually takes them a week from the uk to deliver to germany.

the fact that i could've get hold of the record 10(!) days ago,

makes this pre-ordering from the label direct

just ridiculous or in osc's words: ludicrous!

I suggest walking through the city late at night listening to this on your headphones, go through areas you normally would not. I did this to walk off a heavy buzz so I could drive home last night. It was quite an experience. That kind of moment was what I think this album was made for. They didn't intend to give us an album full of hits, but give us a score for us to put film to.

Guest Starblazer

It's the soundtrack of things to come :) really enjoying the album, from start to end :)

When the shit really hits the fan, we'll all be sat here, maybe lol, going....fuck yea, BoC had it down to a T.

flol

"I was listening to RFTD and I got an idea: do you think we can make some kind of gift to the brothers? A special gift coming from all of us? I am sure TH will be a really great album but I don't like the fact that the only way I have to thank BoC is to "just" buy the album. Do you think Warp would transmit a box of hershey squirts to the bros if I send them one?" I think it would be awesome to actually do somthing- maybe some sort of digital "fart" if you will- completly open to fartistic input . Maybe scanning all the squirts on it too. I don't know, but something would be cool. Not sure if mdg or anyone could maybe get the finished product in the right noses... Just something as a token of our sincerest, most humble thanks."

flol

"I was listening to RFTD and I got an idea: do you think we can make some kind of gift to the brothers? A special gift coming from all of us? I am sure TH will be a really great album but I don't like the fact that the only way I have to thank BoC is to "just" buy the album. Do you think Warp would transmit a box of hershey squirts to the bros if I send them one?" I think it would be awesome to actually do somthing- maybe some sort of digital "fart" if you will- completly open to fartistic input . Maybe scanning all the squirts on it too. I don't know, but something would be cool. Not sure if mdg or anyone could maybe get the finished product in the right noses... Just something as a token of our sincerest, most humble thanks."

:emotawesomepm9::facepalm:

Alright!

Yesterday was our first listening session to the album, with the usual array of tryptamines involved...

I've got to say I'm definitely impressed. I think this represents a step forward in their writing capabilities.

There were definitely some strong points in the album for me, specifically Cold Earth and Nothing is Real. I really felt that some of the ambient or drone pieces, like Uritual and Transmisiones Ferox were filler. I don't feel they added anything to the flow or concept of the album. At least on MHTRTC the short pieces like Bocuma or Roygbiv were exceptional songs on their own. Granted, I might need another listen or two for those short pieces to click.

That being said, I found the album extremely (obviously intentionally) depressing and melancholy. Difficult to digest. I listen to music usually as an escape from the bullshit that's going on in reality, so it's hard to be reminded of the potentially bleak future we're facing in the medium of entertainment....

cheers

Guest cult fiction

I tried to listen to this album for the first time yesterday with some friends and a bucket bong and didn't make it past side A1 before descending into a four hour hallucinatory catatonia of existential terror. I regained some childhood memories. I think the weed might have laced, or something, because it was an experience unlike anything that should be remotely possible with marijuana. My friends agreed that it was the highest they had ever been. Only similar experience I could find online was this:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=10187

So I guess I still have the rest of the album to enjoy, although 'Reach for the Dead' felt like it was days long and I'm worried that I'm too traumatized by the experience to enjoy the rest of the album.

Alright!

Yesterday was our first listening session to the album, with the usual array of tryptamines involved...

I've got to say I'm definitely impressed. I think this represents a step forward in their writing capabilities.

There were definitely some strong points in the album for me, specifically Cold Earth and Nothing is Real. I really felt that some of the ambient or drone pieces, like Uritual and Transmisiones Ferox were filler. I don't feel they added anything to the flow or concept of the album. At least on MHTRTC the short pieces like Bocuma or Roygbiv were exceptional songs on their own. Granted, I might need another listen or two for those short pieces to click.

That being said, I found the album extremely (obviously intentionally) depressing and melancholy. Difficult to digest. I listen to music usually as an escape from the bullshit that's going on in reality, so it's hard to be reminded of the potentially bleak future we're facing in the medium of entertainment....

cheers

I like your reviews. I will say a lot of the "filler" tracks, at least for me, have really added a ton to this over the course of repeated listens. ferox in particular is one of my favorites.

there is so much play with voices again, which I love and is something I really missed on campfire.

Guest jasondonervan

Looks like somebody got a shirt in with their pre-order...

tumblr_moi2ktolKw1spvmh6o1_400.jpg

(It's great to be back in Animal Crossing! :biggrin:)

Alright!

cheers

I like your reviews. I will say a lot of the "filler" tracks, at least for me, have really added a ton to this over the course of repeated listens. ferox in particular is one of my favorites.

there is so much play with voices again, which I love and is something I really missed on campfire.

Thanks! I think it's funny you say that RE the filler tracks. I thought the exact same thing. My first reaction was exactly what I said, that they seemed like filler. But at the same time in the back of my head I knew those parts would need repeat listens.

Agreed on the voices. I was very happy to hear them back. I really liked the voices on Telepath and Nothing is Real.

Last night I had some smokeables and I could suddenly hear exactly what the lyrics were on Nothing is Real. Of course, now when I listen to it I can't understand it again.. =/

Does anyone know what it's saying?

My amazon.uk order still hasn't arrived. Been over a week not, and I can't remember the last time it took this long for a CD to show up. Usually takes three-four days. Same with a DVD I ordered from the US a month ago. Still hasn't shown up, even though it usually doesn't take much longer than a week or two.

I'M ANGRY!

mp3/flac/wav.

They're so annoying

it goes so fast, in a blink of an eye I have my music!

Fear not! You can still order CD/vinyl by mail order and resume sitting on your veranda twiddling your fingers and cursing the mailman/company for being late with your order. So much more fun!