IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

Wow. Underwhelmed to say the least, and glad I didn't choose between this and putting food in my mouth.

The poster's ok, a tenner plus postage would have been about right..

Oh, and hand numbered means someone has written on the back in pencil (36/100)...

Freebies; a couple of Warp stickers, not even BoC. Same two as the VHS Head vinyl..

Wow. Underwhelmed to say the least, and glad I didn't choose between this and putting food in my mouth.

Oh, and hand numbered means someone has written on the back in pencil (36/100)...

Freebies; a couple of Warp stickers, not even BoC. Same two as the VHS Head vinyl..

lol thx blerp

lol thx blerp

lol even worse than expected

• 3 months later...

been really digging into this album again as of late. i feel like it is aging quite well.

was thinking the exact same thought a few days ago, I almost can't imagine their back catalogue without it.

Edited by beerwolf

Yes, an instant classic - I would say it ranks third behind Geogaddi (you know damn well which LP is #1)

Catalog 3 obviously .... Drone 18 just gives me goosebumps every time, still no idea how they managed to merge that Michael Jackson riff what that Dire Straits vocal snippet

Yes, an instant classic - I would say it ranks third behind Geogaddi (you know damn well which LP is #1)

Catalog 3 obviously .... Drone 18 just gives me goosebumps every time, still no idea how they managed to merge that Michael Jackson riff what that Dire Straits vocal snippet

Pfft. Some BOC fan you are - I'm still going through Mike and Marcus' baby monitor recordings circa 1972 they made. #trufan

No no no! Maxima!

Obviously!

geogaddi is number 1 in my book. that's a desert island disc for me.

geogaddi is number 1 in my book. that's a desert island disc for me.

Same here, no question.

Time to confess. I've never really got on with MHTRTC. For some reason it's always left me cold and uncomfortable.

I just think I've never heard it in the right place, at the right time (and on the right drugs). Which of course I shouldn't have to. But that's the feeling I get with it, certainly a spooky album. Dunno, strange fucking vibes, which I guess is why some people really love it. When a lot of people say it evokes warm and fuzzy childhood memories, I mostly get the feeling of being isolated and lost in a very hostile place. The distant childrens voices and the sparse drums and off-kilter drones bother me.

Weird fucking album, but I do keep going back to it...

(ps I've been a bit of a booze bender the last few days, and hopefully this is a post on the positive side, sometimes I can get a bit carried away when on the hops)

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

i always found MHTRTC too hiphoppy and a bit too chill. geogaddi is where they really found "a voice of their own". a (near?) perfect, thought-out album. everything matters there.

TH and TCH are nowhere near the first two in my book. decent albums, tho.

Time to confess. I've never really got on with MHTRTC. For some reason it's always left me cold and uncomfortable.

I just think I've never heard it in the right place, at the right time (and on the right drugs). Which of course I shouldn't have to. But that's the feeling I get with it, certainly a spooky album. Dunno, strange fucking vibes, which I guess is why some people really love it. When a lot of people say it evokes warm and fuzzy childhood memories, I mostly get the feeling of being isolated and lost in a very hostile place. The distant childrens voices and the sparse drums and off-kilter drones bother me.

Weird fucking album, but I do keep going back to it...

That's why it's my favorite. It's got an uneasy, spooky feeling to it. Same with parts of geogaddi too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I bought a new cartridge to my turntable (all the music suddenly has some bass and even treble!) and have been spinning vinyl I haven't heard in a while and gosh, this album is just something else.They've nailed that 80s VHS-esque sound design better than anyone before (or after).

And I'm not usually into retro music - in the sense of new artists making vintage sounding music. I don't see a point in that approach. Because when I want to hear 80s sounding music or any other decade, I go to the music that was actually released in the given decade. But Tomorrow's Harvest is for some reason different. Like it isn't actually imitating anything specific - I know many would disagree.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for bump but I listened to this album 3 times today (first being my first ever listen of the album) and yeah I think this is my favorite Boards of Canada album. Even the interludey tracks I really enjoy. That run from Nothing Is Real to New Seeds might be peak BoC for me honestly. Wonderful album. Might even get better with repeated listens honestly.

(oh yeah also shoutout to Jacquard Causeway I read this thread after my first listen of the album and it really did not deserve the hate it got, incredible track)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, X4creek said:

(oh yeah also shoutout to Jacquard Causeway I read this thread after my first listen of the album and it really did not deserve the hate it got, incredible track)

Let's just say it was ahead of its time and we'll call it a day.

• Like 1