IGNORED

Spotify vs the rest for complete collections

woofer

Hey guys,

I'd like those of you with experience on one or more music subscription services to chime in. I'm definitely not going to buy all of my music again through some iTunes clone, but instead of hosting it myself and paying for power and bandwidth, it seems intelligent to just use one of these new-fangled subscription services. That is, so long as they have everything I have and a lot more.

Which music subscription services have all the music you've wanted to hear? If none, then which come the closest?

Thanks!

Guest cult fiction

You're never going to find a music service that has everything you have.

For instance, you won't be finding any Rephlex tracks on a streaming service.

Spotify is pretty damn good for electronic music - some artists are still nowhere to be found but overall I am pleased and I've discovered a lot of music as well. It's free, why not give it a shot?

Guest cult fiction

Speaking of Impakt one of the most annoying things about Spotify is how they don't disambiguate names so if you look for 'Impakt' you get the excellent breakin' records release as well as some total bullshit amateur rap.

Clark is especially bad, as there are like 4 artists going by that name. Same with Los Hermanos.

FIX IT SPOTIFY

Guest crowder

For a while I was using Spotify mainly to listen to music before downloading and to listen on my phone or while traveling. It really is great, I ended up dropping it because the price is a bit steep for me right now.

Home server with music streamer set up like Subsonic is the way to go if you want to have all your music with you on the go.

Guest cult fiction

I'm not personally fond of Spotify. Artists end up getting an insulting percentage of earnings.

I achieved 1 bar popularity for awhile and have made around $15 - I assume the bars are non-linear or otherwise many electronic artists far better than me are making literally tens of dollars off spotify.

Speaking of Impakt one of the most annoying things about Spotify is how they don't disambiguate names so if you look for 'Impakt' you get the excellent breakin' records release as well as some total bullshit amateur rap.

Clark is especially bad, as there are like 4 artists going by that name. Same with Los Hermanos.

FIX IT SPOTIFY

Haha this is very true. And it's very sporadic which of my releases show up. I have nothing to do with it :)

Guest crowder

I'm not personally fond of Spotify. Artists end up getting an insulting percentage of earnings.

It's better than nothing, which is what I know I'd be giving most of them otherwise. Our music collections are too large to be buying every song at 99 cents.

I do wish there was some sort of self-release streaming service that could take the world by storm, but the record companies would never really let that happen.

Guest Kracker

I like Spotify a lot and a friend is urging me to do Rdio instead which is supposed to be Spotify's main rival and Rdio does seems to have a few more artists in their collection but I like Spotify's interface. Rdio brags that its user interface is better and it's supposedly a main selling point but I don't see it at all, it's really slow and cluttered on their site. What would really sell me is a service that combines Spotify with Audiogalaxy, the ability to combine Spotify's collection with your own, wherever you go. And for artists royalities, it beats people going through the trouble of pirating music when they can just check out the music on Spotify instead and get them interested in buying albums, merch, and going to their events.

I like Spotify a lot and a friend is urging me to do Rdio instead which is supposed to be Spotify's main rival and Rdio does seems to have a few more artists in their collection but I like Spotify's interface. Rdio brags that its user interface is better and it's supposedly a main selling point but I don't see it at all, it's really slow and cluttered on their site. What would really sell me is a service that combines Spotify with Audiogalaxy, the ability to combine Spotify's collection with your own, wherever you go. And for artists royalities, it beats people going through the trouble of pirating music when they can just check out the music on Spotify instead and get them interested in buying albums, merch, and going to their events.

that's the thing though...the vast majority of people who subscribe to Spotify, or indeed any other music streaming service, no longer buy albums because "I've already paid for Spotify, why bother?"

Archived