IGNORED

All is fair in love and war

lumpenprol

"All's fair in love and war" = "There's no such thing as "fair" in love and war"

Oh so it's another of those silly american contradictory sayings like 'could care less' and 'all but _____'?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the already mentioned explanation for

"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

It is also applicable to the way the human body functions. Such as when a bone is broken, the part of it that gets restored is in fact stronger, same thing with wounded skin, it grows back tougher. Muscles much the same. Also the saying use it or lose is applicable to muscles.

"All is fair in love and war" sure.. the value of fairness is zero for all.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." = If you have two birds wedged in your bush it's equally as valuable as having one in your hand.

Until some fucker comes up to me (in actual physical fucking form) and says here are the fucking rules I created the universe, I'm not willing to accpet any religious bullshit currently bandied around on earth, so really I just look at the world and I'm like, right how do I manipulate this fucker for my own selfish gains.

Read the fucking rules

Whoever coined the phrase "whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger" was obviously not a quadriplegic.

Whoever coined the phrase "whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger" was obviously not a quadriplegic.

Umm, it was Nietzsche. So no he wasn't. To my knowledge it was in context of übermensch and how they should act, not applying to normal people but if somebody who knows their Nietzsche better then please correct.

I find it funny when the local church or some similar instance quotes Nietzsche though.

exactly, I've always found it an absurd phrase. And doubly so given that Nietzsche had numerous ailments for which he took a cupboard-full of pills, and probably went mad and died from syphilis, so...

Incidentally Chris Hitchens also said this phrase was absurd while nearing his deathbed

edit: I think it is almost always true to say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you wiser. But stronger (either physically or mentally)? That's probably only true 50% of the time, if that.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

This is true, apparently it can also cause you to try and murder your wife and kid in a remote hotel.

"Laughter is the best medicine."

I asked my Doctor about this and he says it isn't true, but then he might be in league with the evil pharmaceuticals. The swine!

"Slow and steady wins the race."

Except when all the hungry ambitious people beat you to the punch while you're half-assing your way to your goals. Take that, turtle.

ok this is me doing a troon thread. Just curious what people think of this saying.

It's a great justification for doing immoral things under the contexts of killing and fucking.

Another would be "whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger". How do people interpret it?

I actually believe in this one. It's so easy to discredit by referring to paraplegics and whatnot, but I take it in the form that adversity forms character and leaves you as a stronger person in the aftermath, even though it may take a lot of time. In my opinion, it does not depend on your capacity to be an ubermensch but your capacity for amor fati.

Then again, Nietzsche ended up in the loony bin, so what do I know...

I hate all the ones related to commerce, "the customer is always right", "you get what you pay for". Repeat after me, wage slave.

It's time to re-evaluate all these sayings. When i first heard lumpenprol had done this thread my first instinct was to kick him in the balls and scream ''Man up, bitch'' into his bearded face. He was being too troon. But now I come to realise how brave he was to get this debate going. These sayins are meaningless unless it applies to the person directly afflicted by them.

"All's fair in love and war" = "There's no such thing as "fair" in love and war"

Oh so it's another of those silly american contradictory sayings like 'could care less' and 'all but _____'?

was an old english dude i believe

fwiw anyone who says 'i could care less' to mean 'i don't care' just isn't thinking very hard, regardless of nationality. but yeah us americans have some pretty shit phrases. it is what it is.

"Have your cake and eat it" - Self explanatory.

I don't get this either, what's the point in having cake if you can't eat it?

I thought the point was you can't eat a cake and still have it, made sense to me.

"A little bird told me" some gossipy gossipy gossip. Oh my. = Snitches get stitches.

Is that Michael Rooker in your avatar?

It's a painting of Michael Rooker playing Merle in The Walking Dead. I just thought it was the best scene in the entire series by extremely far.

Archived