IGNORED

Rarest/most valuable record/cassette/cd that you own?

NorthernFusion

I managed to scoop one of those Stereotype EP that squarepusher was selling when he came on the forums here pretending to be "Hardy".

According to discogs there's only 100.

Nope, it was Hardy. He's a real guy. He's the dude that used to run Spymania Records. A friend of Tom's. I bought 2 extra Stereotype E.P.s off of him in like 1999 as well. Also there are 1000 of them. That info came directly from Tom when I talked to him at Coachella 2001. He told me that they pressed up a thousand of them and no shop wanted them because he was a nobody at the time so Hardy was suck w/ piles of them. Suppose Hardy found a stack in 98 or 99 or whatever it was, and then he found another stack at his mom's place that most recent time he was selling them.

Tom doesn't talk to people on the internet.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoviet-France-Ritual--Hessian-B-446993.j

i have this one. it's definitely not the rarest of zoviet france releases but it does include the insert and the hessian sack which i rarely see.

i also have a copy of coil's "time machines" on LP which is signed and inscribed to me which is certainly the rarest thing in my personal collection.

nice one! I'm still trying to complete my ZF vinyl collection So far i'm only missing Gesture Signal Threat and Flock of rotations.

I sampled from that record on the 1st part of my Acroplane Guide to Electronic Music record. In fact I extended the date by 1 year just so i could sample from it and Back and Forth pt 1 by Skinny Puppy.

I managed to scoop one of those Stereotype EP that squarepusher was selling when he came on the forums here pretending to be "Hardy".

Nope, it was Hardy. He's a real guy. He's the dude that used to run Spymania Records. A friend of Tom's. I bought 2 extra Stereotype E.P.s off of him in like 1999 as well. Also there are 1000 of them. That info came directly from Tom when I talked to him at Coachella 2001. He told me that they pressed up a thousand of them and no shop wanted them because he was a nobody at the time so Hardy was suck w/ piles of them. Suppose Hardy found a stack in 98 or 99 or whatever it was, and then he found another stack at his mom's place that most recent time he was selling them.

cool! Thanks for the info. It just seemed so circumstantially odd, the way it happened. Hardy ftw!

Wonder why it says only 100 pressed on discogs... someone should change it =)

Guest disparaissant

original stereo pressing of "kind of blue"

promo copies of a bunch of tom waits albums. not sure how rare they are, really, but they're first pressings and they have promo info stamped on them in gold. okay i just looked it up and there's a promo copy of rain dogs which i own listed for $140. hmm.

i also have a copy of coil's "time machines" on LP which is signed and inscribed to me which is certainly the rarest thing in my personal collection.

oh shit, I forgot about signed stuff. I have Peter Gabriel's video collection DVD which he signed and wrote a note to me when I almost won that remix competition :emotawesomepm9:

nice one! I'm still trying to complete my ZF vinyl collection So far i'm only missing Gesture Signal Threat and Flock of rotations.

I sampled from that record on the 1st part of my Acroplane Guide to Electronic Music record. In fact I extended the date by 1 year just so i could sample from it and Back and Forth pt 1 by Skinny Puppy.

wow, that's awesome that you have all the ZF stuff on vinyl. what's your favorite? some of the vinyl releases are really cool objects.

cool! Thanks for the info. It just seemed so circumstantially odd, the way it happened. Hardy ftw!

It used to say 1000, because I wrote it. Some fuckface probably wanted to drive up the price. Will fix.

Perhaps they have systematically gone and bought 900, just to destroy them to drive up the price of the remaining 100. You could even admit doing it as evidence to help assure the population of buyers that it's rarer. It might make the user hated, but it wouldn't change the new normal which would push the value of the remaining copies higher.

The person that changed it from my posting on Discogs seems to be some Russian know-nothing that claims he confirmed the numbers from some random ebay seller. Credibility: zero.

It used to say 1000, because I wrote it. Some fuckface probably wanted to drive up the price. Will fix.

Cool, thanks for fixing it. It says 1000 on discogs now. Soooo someone changed it to 100? I haven't used discogs in a long ass time but don't a bunch of different moderators have to approve a change? Crazy something like that could slip through the cracks.

Well that change wasn't approved and the release wasn't confirmed that way, but the system of editing seems so convoluted now, whatever anyone wants to change, they just do it and it changes instantly for the viewable release, just like I was able to do. I think it's like Wikipedia where the changes just show up but it says something like the release hasn't been confirmed at the top of the page or somewhere maybe. I'm not even sure anymore.

I have the V/Vm's Whine and Missingtoe 7". Limited to 500 according to discogs. I guess that's the rarest.

oh my god.

I just spent an hour researching and posting info, links & pics of my rarest records and I accidentally lost the entire post.

FML.

Lets just say I think my rarest LP is Lightning Bolt's "Oblivion Hunter" with the hand-spraypainted cover.

I think they only made 300 of those.

other rare ones:

Records

- Velvet Underground LP (original w/ peel-able banana)

- Pink Floyd "Piper..." USA Tower LP, 1967 Press w/ rainbow label and different song order... includes See Emily Play

- Fela Kuti "Expensive Shit" LP (original? its old and from africa)

- AFX/LFO Split 12"

- both Tuss vinyls

- Chaos AD (squarepusher) Remix 12"

- Slayer's Reign In Blood & South of Heaven LPs

- My Bloody Valentine "You Made Me Realise" Vinyl EP

- High On Fire "Surrounded By Thieves" LP... original press, orange vinyl

- Metallica "Master Of Puppets" Japanese LP in mega mint condition

- Cilibrinas do Eden LP

- Danzig 1 LP (original) & Danzig 3 LP (europe reissue)

- Caetano Veloso "Caetano Veloso" & "Araça Azul" LPs... both are old and Brazilian, Polydor presses.

- most of of Montreal Kindercore vinyls

- a serious butt-load of old UK jungle/dnb 12"s

Tapes

- Coil "Loves Secret Domain" Cassette

... and probably a bunch of others.

CDs... fuck. Its late. I probably have a bunch.

I don't have any ridiculously rare or valuable (>$200) records. I do have a few odd Australian bits and pieces which don't show up on the net - an 80s experimental library cassette is probably my favourite.

Hm, I need to get pictures. These were all found for $5 and under (which means I really should stop buying $10 records, I suppose):

http://www.discogs.com/Pekka-Pohjola-B-The-Magpie/release/641812

http://www.discogs.com/Guido-Maurizio-De-Angelis-Two-Missionaries-Original-Music-From-The-Soundtrack-Of-The-Film/release/2568041

http://www.discogs.com/Saddhu-Brand-Whole-Earth-Rhythm/release/2973746

Probably SAW2 black vinyl; it's a bit scratched up though.

Most of the records I have that go for high prices on discogs tend to be things that I've just stumbled across for a fraction of the price. Like the copy of the Broadcast and Focus Group album that I found new in a Perth record store two years ago for $18. Looked on discogs and it goes for over $100 now?!

Same with Simm City by Simulant (no idea who that is, but someone on discogs said it's Two Lone Swordsmen related?). A friend practically gave it to me along with a bunch of other records and when I was entering them into my discogs collection I noticed that it also sells for a pretty high price. It's a pretty awesome electro EP so I'm not sure if I should sell it but I do need the money..

The black vinyl version is a second pressing, so I assume there were more (might be blethering here) copies of it than the brown vinyl version. However, these days it's actually the former that's more valuable considering how shit the brown version sounds.

the most I've ever spent on a single piece of vinyl , giorgio Moroder's odd one off experimental record

29850_image0_20120626_auto.jpg

The earliest recording of Throbbing Gristle which even has some real drum work in it ,

irc00.jpg

ZF's 3rd full length 2xLP, sandwiched in between 2 pieces of board with a painted stamp image connected with string

ZF_Mohnomishe_front.jpg

The record label 'basic channel' owes their entire style to track C1

from discogs...

"C1 seems to have invented dub techno"

That's interesting. I'm quite curious about what Giorgio's music sounds like since his speech on RAM. :emotawesomepm9:

I only own that X-TG record, which is pretty great in itself.

The rarest and most valuable record I have is probably this one...

R-2967-1173311239.jpeg

I've been holding out buying any of these in the hope that BoC reissue the tracks at some point within some compilation. If that never happens, then I'll regret not picking these up when they were cheaper. :cerious:

You can´t buy a lot of stuff In Slovakia, maybe in the capitol city but in my hometown (second largest city in republic) any Aphex Twin, Autechre, etc. record is a rarity itself... So the most valuable are my copies of Drukqs, ICBYD and 26 mixes for Cash from Aphex Twin, Quaristice from Autechre, Supermodified and Foley Room from Amon Tobin and some others... we got two shops with music (if not counting supermarkets and all that shit) in the city, so I go around once, twice every week, searching through everything they have (in about an hour you´re finished) for any new stuff I would want. I can totally forget about vinyl though cause besides major labels with prices around 50Euros for a copy and occasional used copies of Bob Marleys records or some heavy metal stuff... :shrug:

That really sucks, can you not buy anything online or are the postage fees stupid?

On my way to a full Aphex discography, the disco assault kit being the one record I've seen come up the least. Tapes maybe not as valuable but seem harder to come across too...

alLxQFT.jpg

RQMTGKc.jpg

:wub:

oh my god.

I just spent an hour researching and posting info, links & pics of my rarest records and I accidentally lost the entire post.

FML.

lol. That's a nice nest though, I'm a bit fussy paying top dollar for EPs which is why I don't anything remotely rare/valuable in that area. Apart from BoC maybe. Is the VU mono or stereo?

I don't have any ridiculously rare or valuable (>$200) records. I do have a few odd Australian bits and pieces which don't show up on the net - an 80s experimental library cassette is probably my favourite.

Hm, I need to get pictures. These were all found for $5 and under (which means I really should stop buying $10 records, I suppose):

http://www.discogs.com/Guido-Maurizio-De-Angelis-Two-Missionaries-Original-Music-From-The-Soundtrack-Of-The-Film/release/2568041

I see records like these all the time in my local exchange but I never know enough to warrant a purchase. Maybe I should just go with it next time.

oh my god.

FML.

lol. That's a nice nest though, I'm a bit fussy paying top dollar for EPs which is why I don't anything remotely rare/valuable in that area. Apart from BoC maybe. Is the VU mono or stereo?

I see records like these all the time in my local exchange but I never know enough to warrant a purchase. Maybe I should just go with it next time.

Hm. My personal advice to you; go in, pick a bunch and write down their names and edition numbers. Then go back and look them up on discogs, and check your strike rate. I also have a bunch of crappy ones, after all.

Really, I can talk for a while about good crate digging strategies; but that's something for PM if anybody cares.

oh my god.

FML.

Hm. My personal advice to you; go in, pick a bunch and write down their names and edition numbers. Then go back and look them up on discogs, and check your strike rate. I also have a bunch of crappy ones, after all.

Really, I can talk for a while about good crate digging strategies; but that's something for PM if anybody cares.

Feel free to PM me, although I don't go into a record store on a daily basis.

I was happy to get the vinyl compilation of Column One some time ago:

R-3173088-1319054268.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Column-One-No-One/release/3173088

limited to 110 copies- the added Britney Spears Muscle CD is just nuts. I never heard some many great people mashing Britney up in such a hilarious way.

I got this record out from a heritage:

R-819014-1346962267-7496.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Thirsty-Moon-Thirsty-Moon/release/819014

a close friend of mine died and I was able to pick up some pieces of his extensive record collection. I took the LPs only we have listened to together and this was the last one he presented to me on one long evening. It's hard to listen to.

and this:

R-2828379-1360083478-5266.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Allan-Zane-Jon-7-Art-Is-Dead-Even-Anti-Art-Volume-V/release/2828379

a friend of mine in the US made this record privately, one 5 were made on a 200gr (!) transparent vinyl slab. It's onesided and features a strange experimental piece featuring the source sound of a weedeater.

I was happy to get the vinyl compilation of Column One some time ago:

R-3173088-1319054268.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Column-One-No-One/release/3173088

limited to 110 copies- the added Britney Spears Muscle CD is just nuts. I never heard some many great people mashing Britney up in such a hilarious way.

I got this record out from a heritage:

R-819014-1346962267-7496.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Thirsty-Moon-Thirsty-Moon/release/819014

a close friend of mine died and I was able to pick up some pieces of his extensive record collection. I took the LPs only we have listened to together and this was the last one he presented to me on one long evening. It's hard to listen to.

and this:

R-2828379-1360083478-5266.jpeg

http://www.discogs.com/Allan-Zane-Jon-7-Art-Is-Dead-Even-Anti-Art-Volume-V/release/2828379

a friend of mine in the US made this record privately, one 5 were made on a 200gr (!) transparent vinyl slab. It's onesided and features a strange experimental piece featuring the source sound of a weedeater.

That Column One release looks pretty tasty! :duckhunt:

Sorry about your friend. :sad:

oh my god.

FML.

Is the VU mono or stereo?

It's the stereo version with the air-brushed back cover art. No Torso.

I got it at a swap meet really cheap, like $10.

I actually never really checked what it is, before.

Edit...

It is a Verve V6-5008 gatefold. I think it's this one... http://www.discogs.com/Velvet-Underground-Nico-The-Velvet-Underground-Nico/release/3820535

I guess it's not the original, but it's the 1968 reissue. Still pretty cool.

That Column One release looks pretty tasty! :duckhunt:

Sorry about your friend. :sad:

The set is really good- you get everything from catalogues to dozens of postcards, three CDs and vinyl until you are stuffed. All housed in this lavish boxset. If you know CO a bit, this is really from all sources, pretty rare stuff that you can get only in this set.

Guest igloos unlmtd

Man, this stuff changes so much they need a stock market ticker so I know when to buy & sell. It all depends on what is in print or not...

For a while my old Elliot Smith vinyls were worth a ton but I didn't at the time.

How much does the first S/T Casino Vs. Japan cd sell for?

Archived