IGNORED

Kanye West - Yeezus

Guest abracadabra

He and kim had a baby? Wow... I totally didn't know this! Not that I care.

But Yeah. Kanye has been hit and miss with me since the album where he sampled Daft Punk. Loved the stuff before. Mercy is cool until that change when he starts rapping.

0615-kim-kardashian-labor-3.jpg

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/15/kim-kardashian-gives-birth-baby-girl/

He and kim had a baby? Wow... I totally didn't know this! Not that I care.

But Yeah. Kanye has been hit and miss with me since the album where he sampled Daft Punk. Loved the stuff before. Mercy is cool until that change when he starts rapping.

0615-kim-kardashian-labor-3.jpg

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/15/kim-kardashian-gives-birth-baby-girl/

wtf is that photo? someone retouch her head on something? is it supposed to be funny and I'm missing it?

Look at the bottom right. It says a couple of things: "TMZ" and "Composite". And there's your answer.

Retouch? Yes. Supposed to be funny? Well, kinda. It's TMZ, right?

Edited by goDel

First listen tonight: I like it. Not as much as 808s & Heartbreak but it's pretty alright. The lyrics are fucking silly in parts though, haha.

wtf is that photo? someone retouch her head on something? is it supposed to be funny and I'm missing it?

it's supposed to be funny because kim k is rumored to be a whore (having made her career from being romantically linked with various male figures) and thus- her vagina is loose so her birth was effortless. also, she's happy because she has a baby as babies increase one's happiness by a factor of 70%.

Edited by Nebraska

Lots of critics are hailing this album, pitchfork gave it a 9.5 (couldn't care less but just saw it and you know).

I'm a fan of his first 3 and I've been sad ever since, his new stuff is pretty shit. I don't care if he's trying to be risky and do outrageous tracks, but it's boring and the lyrics sound like something some pissed off 400 lb kid in highschool wrote because he thinks he's G as fuck.

Glad I don't care much for hiphop/rap anymore, would've been disappointed if I'd preordered it.

Edited by DorkingtonPugsly

Glad I don't care much for hiphop/rap anymore, would've been disappointed if I'd preordered it.

you can preorder top40 hip-hop albums?

I enjoyed it, it's worth a listen but there's no way I would buy it - it sounds more like a mixtape. Pitchfork's BMN nod is arguable but 9.5 is too high - at this point I'm pretty sure they have extensive meetings over awarding decimal points. The review seems to meander a lot but it was an ok read. I lol'd when I saw the argument that Daft Punk and Rick Rubin were singled for production because they were "rule-breakers." Seriously? Daft Punk made crossover house music. Rick Rubin paired rappers with rock riffs. Those were clever decisions working off existing styles, not bold and novel efforts to create unique and challenging music. "Walk This Way" didn't break rules: it just made a fun and silly single, made hip-hop seemingly ok to a lot of white people in 1986, and made an assload of money. Oh geezus.

Also, I know the Grammy's are an irrelevant circle-jerk, but if they do end up nominating Yeezus for "best packaging" (an award that actually has a tiny bit of merit) I will be irked. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1709235/kanye-west-yeezus-grammy-recording-package.jhtml

Edited by joshuatx

you can preorder top40 hip-hop albums?

I enjoyed it, it's worth a listen but there's no way I would buy it - it sounds more like a mixtape. Pitchfork's BMN nod is arguable but 9.5 is too high - at this point I'm pretty sure they have extensive meetings over awarding decimal points. The review seems to meander a lot but it was an ok read. I lol'd when I saw the argument that Daft Punk and Rick Rubin were singled for production because they were "rule-breakers." Seriously? Daft Punk made crossover house music. Rick Rubin paired rappers with rock riffs. Those were clever decisions working off existing styles, not bold and novel efforts to create unique and challenging music. "Walk This Way" didn't break rules: it just made a fun and silly single, made hip-hop seemingly ok to a lot of white people in 1986, and made an assload of money. Oh geezus.

Also, I know the Grammy's are an irrelevant circle-jerk, but if they do end up nominating Yeezus for "best packaging" (an award that actually has a tiny bit of merit) I will be irked. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1709235/kanye-west-yeezus-grammy-recording-package.jhtml

I forgot to mention I really like Bound 2. But it's definitely because it's his old style. Both the beat and the rap/flow. I think that's what he does best and should just stick to that. I mean I really like those kind of songs. I'm just satisfied that there was even one song like this.

And yeah those two aren't rule breakers, whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.

That would be funny. Exai should get that award (ha)...

Hip-hop credits on major albums are quite funny: Yeezus is basically grime tracks that took 20+ people to make. "I'd like to thank this sampler and everyone who touched it during the making of this beat." Granted, if it was Zomby it'd say "Zomby. Also this bloke that took some pics."

Aphex-Twin-Analogue-Bubbleba-477135.jpg

<----- the original yeezus.. dark, noisy, beautiful, mysterious, raw, acid and even more minimally packaged. no matter how many daft punks, bon ivers and hudson mohawks can be hired to combine in one album, it's still never gonna hold up to something like that strange ab3 release that rdj cooked up for himself in his parents house in 1992. pretty cool release though either way, and some pretty stunning moments. mad props on some of those tracks, the concepts and the aggro style though. i still think kanye's best works are those taiko drummed tracks on 808's and heartbreaks and the entire graduation album. the good life and champion are the kinds of feel-good soulful tracks that i want to be hearing from the good camp. fun venturing into the gritty/dissonant territory for a bit, no doubt. i'd definitely do the same kind of thing if i were kanye.

Apparently, the golden girls saw the Kardashian sex tape and thought it was a lesson in love making ( not interpreted, but their opinion...).

Just saying.

^ this this this

"Im in it" is pretty much the only track on the album that was memorable to me.. I liked the darkness mixed with the sexiness and the exotic nature..That and some other song that has that siren/scream going off in between kaynes lines, and i think there was another that had dark piano jazz chords under distorted strings/synths that sounded moody, brooding and kinda pretty, but that could have been the same song as the sirens cant remember...

In general, it deed seem like contained anger i agree. Its no doubt an album of brilliant sound design and concept execution, but thats about it..Theres something slightly pretentious, calculated that keeps me from really feeling it. Maybe its the insane list of contributors all adding to the pie.. Maybe its the lack of any melodic hooks, the lack of danceability or head-bobbing-ness.. See it would be one thing if his lyrics were poetic, meaningful or interesting, then an experimental hip hop/noise album would be cool, but here its the same kanye storylines lol

Edited by Lane Visitor

I found the drums in "All Of The Lights" extremely Analogue Bubblebath. It's a good track but I can't stand Rihanna any longer and stuff like "MJ gone/our nigga dead!" or "I slapped my girl/she called the feds" and all that other facile shit just ruin it for me

agreed. melodies, harmonies, arrangements, and beats are all either good or great but the lyrics and persona basically renders it completely unlistenable, taking what could potentially be brilliant and turning it into... shit. it does sell, however.

what I find personally disturbing/annoying is that whole "MJ gone our nigga dead" stuff is considered "genius" by pretty much everybody. it's like, come on. no. harmonies, melodies, there are some good bits to it but overall its really not that different from Bieber and Gaga. certainly not different enough for supposedly tasteful critics to slobber all over it. (especially when most of it is just sampled loops)

some good bits but you know, 7-8 range

I guess this is what happens when you let retards run culture

Edited by vamos scorcho