IGNORED

Kanye West - Yeezus

Guest abracadabra

yes, definitely good. perhaps a bit immature of me, but if you read the second half of my previous post... i was just thinking that some idm trollery could be achieved with this?

so shhhhhh... not too loud.......

It's a remarkably unremarkable album. It's futile trying to further that argument beyond, well audiences of other people who feel that way. There's a unified front in most online music journalism outlets that will continue to express that this is genius and other hyperbolic praise: the masses will think or be forced to assume it's genius...Yeenius in fact.

Also, I mentioned I was involved in that article only after asymmetrical head linked it. I know him online, we talked about the album with others, he was interested in electronic music that sounded similar. End of story. I never meant to tout it on watmm. Sorry if came off as dickish or spammy.

Guest vletrmx

i keep thinking of this while listening to it

lol

but I actually really like On Sight's beat, although the 'dick in her mooooooooouuuuuuthhhh' part is painful to listen to

:/

I caught the end of an NPR review of the album (keep in mind I have no real intention of listening to anything Kanye touches) and one point they brought up was how "Blood on the Leaves" comes across rather whiny and petulant when Kanye's complaints about bitches are juxtaposed with Nina Simone's version of a song depicting the lynching of slaves. I love Nina Simone, but the use of this particular song and his "extrapolation" seem deliberately irreverent.

I think his rapping is really stupid and immature on purpose, because that's his public persona. But that doesn't make it "conceptually genius" or anything. It really hurts the music. I thought Guilt Trip was actually a really solid track, but that autotune wailing at the end is just ridickless. I like the style he chose to make this album as, but Kanye as a performance artist is just like...dude are you for real? But I guess it's sort of like listening out of morbid curiosity and picking out the good parts.

I think his rapping, well... he, is the only flaw in the album. all those beats sound kinda cool actually.

^ what $ can buy you.. cool styles, cool collabs, cool outfits, cool sound design, cutting edge everything... but like all recording engineers know, the chain is only as strong as the source. you can have all the fancy gear, perfectly shaped and treated room, selections of the finest mics and the best mixing engineer in the world, but it's what's behind the mic that really makes the music.. without any real unique quality to the musicality or message, the product remains... All the groovy flowing, colorful metaphors, theatrics, swagger and vocal production in the world can't make a dull message/persona brilliant.

yeezy may as well be rapping the declaration of independence- wouldnt make a difference to me, cuz all i hear is "i i i i i i i i i i ......" in an angry, adolescent, bragging, chauvinistic, complaining fashion.

trent reznor is i i i i i, but he does it with beauty, real reflection and sincerity.

bjork is i i i i i i, but she blasts us into a melodic, hyper-imaginative, journey-bound state of ethereal being

the fact that p-fork holds kanye to such a high degree, beyond the trents and bjorks makes me almost lose hope for music journalism...

not saying that kanye doesnt deserve any praise, cuz he does- for his .... groovy flowing, colorful metaphors, theatrics, swagger and vocal production, cool beats, cool image and style.. but not the music that's behind it all. it's another typical case of people forgetting about the music. ha

Just got done listening to this... its not bad at all. funny though how the track that sounds the least "electronic" jumped out at me... (Bound 2)

Guest Gravity

tgrlk.jpg

"The next day I went to the studio with Daft Punk, and I wrote 'I Am a God,' " Ye explained. " 'Cause it's like, Yo! Nobody can tell me where I can and can't go. Man, I'm the No. 1 living and breathing rock star. I am Axl Rose; I am Jim Morrison; I am Jimi Hendrix."

The writer pointed out that there was no trace of a smile on Kanye's face as he explained this, with his rising voice levels clearly indicating how serious he was. "You can't say that you love music and then say that Kanye West can't come to your show!" he added. "To even think they could tell me where I could and couldn't go is just ludicrous. It's blasphemous — to rock 'n' roll, and to music."

Edited by Gravity

I think his rapping, well... he, is the only flaw in the album. all those beats sound kinda cool actually.

^ what $ can buy you.. cool styles, cool collabs, cool outfits, cool sound design, cutting edge everything... but like all recording engineers know, the chain is only as strong as the source. you can have all the fancy gear, perfectly shaped and treated room, selections of the finest mics and the best mixing engineer in the world, but it's what's behind the mic that really makes the music.. without any real unique quality to the musicality or message, the product remains... All the groovy flowing, colorful metaphors, theatrics, swagger and vocal production in the world can't make a dull message/persona brilliant.

yeezy may as well be rapping the declaration of independence- wouldnt make a difference to me, cuz all i hear is "i i i i i i i i i i ......" in an angry, adolescent, bragging, chauvinistic, complaining fashion.

trent reznor is i i i i i, but he does it with beauty, real reflection and sincerity.

bjork is i i i i i i, but she blasts us into a melodic, hyper-imaginative, journey-bound state of ethereal being

the fact that p-fork holds kanye to such a high degree, beyond the trents and bjorks makes me almost lose hope for music journalism...

not saying that kanye doesnt deserve any praise, cuz he does- for his .... groovy flowing, colorful metaphors, theatrics, swagger and vocal production, cool beats, cool image and style.. but not the music that's behind it all. it's another typical case of people forgetting about the music. ha

great post

Help write that article, I'm mentioned at the bottom! Reggie is an acquaintance of mine (never met IRL but talk to him a lot online, know him through a good friend). I sent him 10 tracks I thought of listening to and he kept 3 or 4. He compiled the rest.

don't bring The Bug into this!

boom boom boom boom tsk SKENG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trananhhung

I've know listened to this album more than I thought I would and think it's the greatest music from a king-of-the-pop musician in a long time. It's ugly, nasty and dynamic! More please.

well, this was disappointing to read

They need to ask Johnny motherfuckin Rotten. Lou Reed and Lynch proved their questionable taste numerous times (Lou for Metallica split album as far as i'm in the know and Lynch for praising shitty pop girl singers)

Sick beats and Kanye's flow is not bad enough to distract. The lyrics sometimes are; I don't care if he's a parody of himself or whatever but the lyrics are annoying. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of the production. Trent Renser is probably jealous. If someone told me Kanye's new album blended industrial synths and sampling philosophy with horns, old jazz, and sad anthemic piano I would have been curious but not hopeful. The shit really works.

edit: just realized Daft Punk and Hudson Mohawke are all over this, makes perfect sense! Still, it's an achievement from everyone involved! And I have to give Kanye props for being the overlord. He's a good overlord (my mental shorthand for Bjork, Gaga, Tront, anyone who sort of manages a school of creatives to attain a vision)

Edited by A/D

Sick beats and Kanye's flow is not bad enough to distract. The lyrics sometimes are; I don't care if he's a parody of himself or whatever but the lyrics are annoying. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of the production. Trent Renser is probably jealous. If someone told me Kanye's new album blended industrial synths and sampling philosophy with horns, old jazz, and sad anthemic piano I would have been curious but not hopeful. The shit really works.

edit: just realized Daft Punk and Hudson Mohawke are all over this, makes perfect sense! Still, it's an achievement from everyone involved! And I have to give Kanye props for being the overlord. He's a good overlord (my mental shorthand for Bjork, Gaga, Tront, anyone who sort of manages a school of creatives to attain a vision)

You know, after hearing the new NIN single, I think you might be right about that. I think you're very right to compare his album "curating" to Bjork, even if they are very different personas and musicians. M.I.A. is similar in that too, albeit with even less musical input: Kanye did have a producing career before his first album.

I thought the production sounded horrible, but maybe it was just the encoding of the rip I got? I was surprised to find myself enjoying aspects of the first two tracks, but was overcome by nausea soon after on my first listen. It actually made me feel sick. Ah well, certain drugs don't agree with me either...