IGNORED

Pye Corner Audio - Black Mill Tapes Vol. 4

Tauhid

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

taken the plunge on this. listened to the latest volume first. can't say i understand the point of it, still. i get the sentiment, as i remember things like jake slazenger first time around in the nineties. old enough to have listened to lots of electronic music from new, since the 70's, so the idea of a modern take on something of old is less of an easy sell when i can remember the use of this simple beat / synth stuff from way back. there's little comparable sentiment to be found here, in that there's no progression and no acknowledgement of a jumping off point for something new ... no twist - just seems basic and unimaginative. redundant, even. i wonder how much interest around records actually relates to a need to constantly find new releases to sense a connection with, rather than facing the longer time-consuming hunt for the stuff which is long gone but still discoverable.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest M360

About to order the triple cd. Appreciative this is available on cd and able to preview on bandcamp.

As far as saying this is simplistic, youre right i think thats the point. I think this album hits the nail on the head in terms of being throwback/retro and accessible. Its simply a chill set of tunes imo

This is very good but is it just me or is disc 2 (volume 3) a lot louder than the other tree volumes?

watmm CD club high five! I hadn't noticed this, but I will keep an ear out for it. I rarely listen to the discs back-to-back I guess.

About to order the triple cd. Appreciative this is available on cd and able to preview on bandcamp.

As far as saying this is simplistic, youre right i think thats the point. I think this album hits the nail on the head in terms of being throwback/retro and accessible. Its simply a chill set of tunes imo

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think there is quite a lot of subtlety and taste in the production and arrangements to most of these tunes. Especially the fleshed-out, songlike ones. Granted they are not very `complex' in a musical sense, but they definitely didn't strike me as simple either. Plenty to listen to in there. (I quoted M360, but this is also a reply to Iogboy'z post)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest M360

After several full listens i'll say this is a real treat of a boxset. There is a lot of subtlety, like ascdi said, particularly in the melodies and overall just positive vibes, with nice organic sounds. It's a keeper.

Archived