IGNORED

Frame 3 Sampler for Reaktor

Guest peterdines

Guest peterdines

Heh, I was just coming here to post about the sale. It's a great time to get Reaktor or *cough *cough* go legit. ;-)

I'm guessing this means 6 is just round the corner. Very tempting though I've already spent about £4 billion on ableton 9 suite + many instrument packs.

(also as my copy of 6 has Max 4 Live so I imagine they'd probably be little point in getting Reaktor as well)

Guest Hanratty

They've also got some of the ensembles like Spark and the Finger for half price. Any must haves?

yeah, i was wondering about those too.

Guest peterdines

Out of that batch The Mouth is pretty attractive at that price. It can be a bit fiddly to use, like anything that extracts triggers and pitches from audio, so don't expect great results without some effort. It can send out MIDI to other plugs or even hardware, and IIRC none of the macros are locked so you can mod it.

Guest RadarJammer

hey peter have you ever done anything deep with the sample lookup module? the granular modules sound good but it kinda seems like cheating with presets

Guest peterdines

Heh. We could get into an interesting philosophical discussion about whether Reaktor itself is cheating. I go as deep as I need to in order to get the results I'm after. At the moment I love the grain cloud sampler module because I can shuffle chunks of audio with it like a Vegas blackjack dealer doing card tricks. And I don't think I've come close to exhausting the possibilities.

The sample lookup is cute but it has drawbacks - for one, it can only hold one sample at a time. I'd be more likely to use a sampler module in conjunction with a Core buffer structure, and read the data from the one into the other for playback and processing, in order to have the best of both worlds. Have been doing some tinkering in that area.

Guest Hanratty

Since this thread's sort of off-topic anyhow, but still about Reaktor, I have a question about using sample maps, and if anyone can answer I'd be very happy. Let's say, for example, I use the drum machine Limelite. I like the included samples but I would also like to load my own. If I replace the sample maps then what happens to all those Limelite samples? Are they still there somewhere? So far, what I've done is made a duplicate copy that I call "Limelite-edit", and it is there that I switch up all my samples. But I feel like that is probably an unnecessary step.

Guest peterdines

With Limelite and other factory ensembles the samples come embedded in the .ens so it's best to save another copy and preserve the original. However if you have a stable location for samples on your drive, you don't necessarily have to embed your own samples in your custom copy - so in the sample map editor make sure "embed" is unticked. That way the ens will occupy much less space on the drive and only store references to the files. However you might want to save local copies with embed turned on for ensembles that are assets of important projects, to ensure everything stays together.

Guest Hanratty

With Limelite and other factory ensembles the samples come embedded in the .ens so it's best to save another copy and preserve the original. However if you have a stable location for samples on your drive, you don't necessarily have to embed your own samples in your custom copy - so in the sample map editor make sure "embed" is unticked. That way the ens will occupy much less space on the drive and only store references to the files. However you might want to save local copies with embed turned on for ensembles that are assets of important projects, to ensure everything stays together.

thanks Peter!!!

Archived