IGNORED

Jacquard Causeway

Alzado

I remember hearing it first on the livestream of the listening party.

I was so blown away, loved it since the start. I would definitely call it the best track of tomorrow's harvest if it wasn't for Nothing is Real.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my least favourite track on first hearing the album. After 9 or 10 spins I still feel the same way. As a whole this is a fantastic album, I guess there has to be the odd tune that doesn't work for you.

Guest cult fiction

This was my least favourite track on first hearing the album. After 9 or 10 spins I still feel the same way. As a whole this is a fantastic album, I guess there has to be the odd tune that doesn't work for you.

I'm in this camp. I can't really get into it.

It's incredibly repetitive - each warbly melody fragment loops way too many times before shifting to the next variation. The track doesn't change mood/focus until the backing pads come in 2/3 of the way in.

I'd love to hear more about what people find so intriguing about this song and what exactly 'opened up' about it for them. I will admit it's very effective at creating a disorientating mood, but by about 2 minutes in I'm numb to it already.

yeah this is the track that makes the 7 year wait for BoC worth it, I mean i could say that about Come to Dust, Reach for the Dead, Cold Earth, Nothing is Real and Sick Times, but this just keeps growing, and every time i listen to the album i'll play this track again just because i need to hear it again.

I can understand why some people feel it to be out of place (although tracks 1-9 sound perfect to me, but find 10-11 are the ones that throw me a bit) because although the melody is soooo BoC, the beats, the synth harmonies and the general structure of the song feels like new ground for sure. Obviously the direction and build to a climax you need to be patient for is something i haven't heard from BoC before. I mean i can't think of another BoC track that has these qualities, but they fucking nailed it in my opinion.

I can analyze New Seeds in a similar fashion. the last 3rd of the track is like coming out of the most beautiful but draining spiritual moment and just blowing in the sweetest sound possible while laying in ecstasy. that sound just so happens to be present in most of the song only to be revealed magnificently once the busyness of the opening wears off. It's a very familiar sound and makes me smile

I find Jacquard Causeway flawless in every sense of the word. It probably requires more patience than most tracks, but it is so rewarding once it opens up as people here are finding. New Seeds is the opposite for me where all is instantly there and you have to strip away the vibrating energy to reveal its simple beauty. I guess i need more time with New Seeds to grow on me(the opening, and nice pun to boot), but defiantly feel there's a connection between both tracks, like i feel with RFTD + Come to Dust and more obviously Telepath+Cold Earth

Oh and why is telepath got a red line under it??? not cool

• 2 weeks later...

Jacquard Causeway feels like a track that BoC have been building toward making since the onset of their careers; juxtaposing many of their melodic trademarks against a chugging, clanky 3/4; a bizarre waltz indeed. Chopin would be proud (or sick to his stomach).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Another thing that is so impressive about this track, that I haven't seen anyone mention, is that I'm pretty sure the entire looping/evolving synth line had to be done in one take. It sounds to me like the bro's were playing keys live into a loop pedal/program and had two channels recording it simultaneously. The live playing comes in first, panned hard left, and mixes into the endless loop in the center of the mix (eventually stealing available voices so as to not make the melody a garbled mess). 

If my theory is correct, they would have had to do some serious editing to only pick out the "good" parts of this looping jam and not cause a jarring hiccup in the melody (because random new notes would have been added/subtracted from the melody that you are hearing live, so to speak). Not saying that the Boards wouldn't do their best to edit it in seamlessly if it called for it, obviously. Something tells me that it was all one take though, which is impressive to me. 

• 4 months later...

Another thing that is so impressive about this track, that I haven't seen anyone mention, is that I'm pretty sure the entire looping/evolving synth line had to be done in one take. It sounds to me like the bro's were playing keys live into a loop pedal/program and had two channels recording it simultaneously. The live playing comes in first, panned hard left, and mixes into the endless loop in the center of the mix (eventually stealing available voices so as to not make the melody a garbled mess). 

If my theory is correct, they would have had to do some serious editing to only pick out the "good" parts of this looping jam and not cause a jarring hiccup in the melody (because random new notes would have been added/subtracted from the melody that you are hearing live, so to speak). Not saying that the Boards wouldn't do their best to edit it in seamlessly if it called for it, obviously. Something tells me that it was all one take though, which is impressive to me. 

Could be, but in this day and age I think it was more meticulously crafted with clicking/many takes/re-amping/slowly adding shit together. I really don't hear any proof that it was recorded in one take. Could you elaborate more on this?

Anyway, ace track  :beer:

Sure, it's because the melody loops over itself with each new line that comes in. If they were to edit the melody it would be tough to not leave fragments from earlier takes (loops), or for sounds to cut out from aborted takes, or to keep fluid continuity. Sounds to me like they were using a loop pedal or a loop program of some kind.

Granted, I am sort of caveman-ish when it comes to the newest software/hardware. But I don't see any reason why the brothers couldn't have done it in one take since they both play keys. 

*Oh yeah, this is assuming they are using analog gear. If it were a soft synth then my point would be moot. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived