IGNORED

Transgender

gmanyo

Are there any transgender members of this forum willing to say so? What is your experience with prejudice? Is it hard where you live? Is there a transgender community that you are involved in? I've heard from some transgender people that the "=" craze is anti-transgender; is this true?

If you're not, what is your experience with transgender people? What is your opinion on the matter?

I don't know much about transgender issues - I'm pretty much "cis scum" at this point - and I would like to know more.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a member of twoism.org forum that I used to be a closef internet friend of, and she went from pretty guy to pretty girl. I applaud her efforts turqoise70 is her username

I have a few trans friends. They're awesome and I have massive amounts of respect for them for having the courage/dedication to come out as their true selves.

Actually one of my colleagues was in an episode of a tv documentary series about transgender people the other day; not sure if this link will work outside of Australia but here it is:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/39096

(she's the one who had the nose surgery and cooked spicy food)

the only question i can address is that the organization behind the "=" stickers you see everywhere has gotten a lot of criticism from transgender as well as traditional LGBT circles. It's been known to compromise it's equality message to pander politically, especially during the 2008 election. There was a specific incident where they made a statement basically saying transgender issues were not going to be talked about because they weren't as important as regular gay rights or something to that effect

I find it interesting that one of the most famous transgender people besides Chaz bono in a public spotlight is barely identified as such, even though his lawyer brought it up in the pre-trial hearing. When Bradley Manning joined the military he started struggling with his gender identity, and in his private chats with Adrian Lamo basically said he is trapped in the wrong body and that the army would never accept his kind.

I know someone who was in the middle of a sexchange, taking hormone pills and whatnot. But I don't really have contact with her anymore. Or... him? Not sure what to say at this stage. Last I heard is that the operation still didn't happen. But her voice was already becoming deeper tho.

I do find it fascinating. She said she felt like a boy since childhood, and was convinced she looked like a boy. Although I never doubted her femininity, seeing as she always wore high heels and whatnot. Granted, she had a tomboyish appearance, could be because she always had very short hair. (S)he also said "come on, I totally have guy shoulders". I wouldn't know, I never really compared shoulders between men and women. But I have nothing against any of it, and I fully support her/him.

It was a bit more difficult with her brother, who said he was "not so pleased" about it, so I tried not to bring up the subject too much. Maybe he felt like he lost a sister or something. I don't know. But I think he eventually accepted it anyway. I think it's harder to accept for family members than friends.

Funny thing, she told me that after the operation, she will still be wearing the same clothes. High heels and everything. But no more bra. And maybe a beard. Awesome. I hope I get to meet her/him one day again.

I know that transgenderism can be a very delicate subject, but I don't know anything about it, so I hope I didn't grind anybodies gears. You can tell me if I went out of line somewhere tho... I'm willing to learn.

what's this "=" thing you're talking about?

This, I assume:

357490-red-equal-sign-gay-marriage-equal

Guest RadarJammer

i think it is a shame for anyone to do a sex change operation in 2013 when they could just hang on for some years or a decade and see if maybe a real authentic sex morph option turns up. i'm gonna bet that something like that happens sooner than later

once I accidentally walked into an in-use bathroom at a party and startled a girl doing the stand up pee into a funnel

I know a trans-man who is currently transitioning. He recently had a masectomy. Known him for a couple of years, always been an good person. I don't know if it has to do with having a transgendered person in my circle of friends, but it seems that the T in LGBT has been topical the last few years, more so than the rest of the sexual minorities (especially in academia). Although gay/lesbian issues have also been current and the general attitude has become more positive towards and hostile against discrimination and people it seems have acknowledged that there is sexism and dated pre-conceptions in regards to gender.

I personally dont think this type of 'outing' thread is appropriate- Many transgender people feel as though their previous gender is of no concern as they wish to be seen as their chosen gender (which is clearly fair enough)

Its sad the = campaign hasn't fully included the transgender community, it must be difficult growing up feeling you don't feel right in the skin you were born in. There is so much research to back up how the brain can be another gender or indeed no gender (there is less information for these guys which is a shame as it would be helpful for so many young people) now that it should be taken more seriously. I guess human societies are slow to catch on.

Guest Iain C

I personally dont think this type of 'outing' thread is appropriate- Many transgender people feel as though their previous gender is of no concern as they wish to be seen as their chosen gender (which is clearly fair enough)

Tend to agree with this. I know quite a few trans people, and while I'll always speak out against prejudice when I see it, I wouldn't assume that I could speak for them or about their experiences...

But what's clear is that the level of hostility they face from all sections of society is staggering. And not just from the usual suspects - a lot of so-called feminists and mainstream gay rights organisations (like Stonewall) are very hostile to trans people.

can someone connect me to a good online vid narrated by a transgender person sharing their feelings of being stuck in a wrongly-sexed body?

People like Chas Bono just piss me way the hell off, it's obvious (to me at least) that she was molested as a kid and it led to her body image issue. I'd like to see an interview with a Trans person that seems illuminating and very sincere and authentic.

can someone connect me to a good online vid narrated by a transgender person sharing their feelings of being stuck in a wrongly-sexed body?

People like Chas Bono just piss me way the hell off, it's obvious (to me at least) that she was molested as a kid and it led to her body image issue. I'd like to see an interview with a Trans person that seems illuminating and very sincere and authentic.

Check out the show I posted earlier in the thread if you can, I think it's a pretty good representation.

But what's clear is that the level of hostility they face from all sections of society is staggering. And not just from the usual suspects - a lot of so-called feminists and mainstream gay rights organisations (like Stonewall) are very hostile to trans people.

^i came to say this.

also i dont get why pppl cant just be cool w others, if someone considers themselves female or male why dont people just be coolwith it instead of being all "oh actually im an expert in chromosomes and biology let me tell yo why youre a bloke in a dress" etc etc

trance is awful tho

Check out the show I posted earlier in the thread if you can, I think it's a pretty good representation.

can't, it's only viewable in Australia, apparently :-(

I've met a few on my LGBT support forum, but even among LGBT, they are a minority.

I haven't heard that the Human Rights Campaign was anti-transgender, though. I can understand the desire to avoid the topic, since transgender issues are deeply personal and emotional, and using it for political gain seems gauche.

When I worked at Trader Joe's I would notice a few customers who were men transitioning into being woman. They were always very chill and nice but I always felt bad that... well let's just say Mrs. Doubtfire makes it look much easier.

i don't think calling this an outing thread is right. outing implies forcefulness. this is a polite request for anyone who is willing to share their story.

i know three trans women. one of them, i actually didn't even know was trans until a couple of months ago and i've known about her for maybe three years now? she looks like a woman 100%. the thought that she's trans wouldn't even pop into your head. i remember i looked through her facebook pictures when i first came into contact with her and thought that she was extremely pretty (so i was a little jealous because she is friends with my bf). so there ya go. i'm really happy for her. not all trans women can achieve that.

I can understand why people would be uneasy with trans people, especially if they've never known such a thing. But I can't understand the hate.

It's one of those things, like Azatoth said, the T has become more prevalent lately. Most likely because of the internet.

It's all a big meh to me. I don't like it when people make a big deal about anything.

Archived