IGNORED

Transgender

gmanyo

the main thing is to treat people witn compassion and dignity and recognize that we are all suffering, some people more than most. If you meet anyone, be it a trans person or a joe schmoe, be good, listen and reach out, find ways to connect and love each other because without that out hearts wither.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the main thing is to treat people witn compassion and dignity and recognize that we are all suffering, some people more than most. If you meet anyone, be it a trans person or a joe schmoe, be good, listen and reach out, find ways to connect and love each other because without that out hearts wither.

Qft, beautiful

do whatever you want unless it hurts someone else. i have always lived by this simple teaching and if people feel happier changing gender they should be free to have that choice. 

also flip the penis inside out like a sock. 

plenty of times things need to be done that could potentially hurt others (by your philosophy, can a boss fire a employee?)

edit: placing compassion as the highest moral value sure sounds fine and dandy but if you think about it for like 15 minutes you realize is a preposterous and useless proposition

You don't think you should try to treat people with compassion?

giphy.gif

how do you draw that conclusion from what I wrote? I said it shouldn't be your highest moral value, not that it wasn't a value

edit: i realized I meant value, not virtue

You don't think you should try to treat people with compassion?

giphy.gif

how do you draw that conclusion from what I wrote? I said it shouldn't be your highest moral value, not that it wasn't a value

edit: i realized I meant value, not virtue

Then what does that have to do with anything? You keep changing your argument and that's a logical fallacy.

Salvatorin said this:

the main thing is to treat people witn compassion

And then your reply was this:

edit: placing compassion as the highest moral value sure sounds fine and dandy but if you think about it for like 15 minutes you realize is a preposterous and useless proposition

You're basically saying that compassion is unreasonable. 

So what is your point? Because it sounds like you're trying to use a special case in order to justify your ill regard for compassion.

:watmm: <----You're this guy right now

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interesting ted talk by transgender. 15 mins well spent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrYx7HaUlMY

cheers, great vid

edit: there's an extra layer of complexity here but im not sure how it maps out onto these ideas.. i have lived that very experience she describes on the plane as a male but i believe it had to do with me not being a very "manly" male and being relatively agreeable... in fact all of the examples she gave I could envisage being lived by an agreeable male.

and so im curious as to how much of what is commonly known as male privilege has to do exclusively with being male and/or having more disagreeable/assertive personality traits..

interesting ted talk by transgender. 15 mins well spent

cheers, great vid

edit: there's an extra layer of complexity here but im not sure how it maps out onto these ideas.. i have lived that very experience she describes on the plane as a male but i believe it had to do with me not being a very "manly" male and being relatively agreeable... in fact all of the examples she gave I could envisage being lived by an agreeable male.

and so im curious as to how much of what is commonly known as male privilege has to do exclusively with being male and/or having more disagreeable/assertive personality traits..

likely has something to do with that. but in her example, she clearly was being disagreeable and didn't "get away with it". so there's more than just the agreeable/disagreeable aspect. you are allowed to be more disagreeable if you're a man, it seems. but i'd rather stay away from jp-like arguments here at watmm. nothing good will come of it.

also, i disagree because i'm a man ;)

to me the transwoman in the video seems like an actor. very stilted and while you would say she is authentic if you knew that she is a theater actor I would call her appearance inauthentic as an actual person. I can't describe it but she constantly seems like disguising her voice to a higher pitch, reciting a well rehearsed speech and acting like a caricature of a women. don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it at all and she makes some excellent points about gender inequality/inequity. but it's a bit weird to watch a person that appears so fake talking about the "call of authenticity"

Archived