IGNORED

Transgender

gmanyo

The article is of a different incident than the picture. The picture is of the first Transgender Flag raising in the Castro, SF, which they also had to fight extremely hard against the Castro business community to make happen. The LGBT community can be very fractured and divided within itself. Kind of sad really.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So an old work colleague of mine had a sex-change last year. Kind of took my by surprise, because he was a more of a gamer and D&D nerd with a full grown beard. That´s not really the type I suspected to do something like this.

Anyway she moved to the states this year and got married to a guy in North Carolina a few weeks ago. I had no clue this was possible/legal in the US, since most states prohibit same-sex marriage. (NC being one of them) I did some research and found out that NC apparently allows a sex change on your birth certificate...through which you can engange in a legal hetero-marriage. Kind of an interesting loophole, since it seems to totally contradict the original ban on same sex marriage...lol

So an old work colleague of mine had a sex-change last year. Kind of took my by surprise, because he was a more of a gamer and D&D nerd with a full grown beard. That´s not really the type I suspected to do something like this.

Anyway she moved to the states this year and got married to a guy in North Carolina a few weeks ago. I had no clue this was possible/legal in the US, since most states prohibit same-sex marriage. (NC being one of them) I did some research and found out that NC apparently allows a sex change on your birth certificate...through which you can engange in a legal hetero-marriage. Kind of an interesting loophole, since it seems to totally contradict the original ban on same sex marriage...lol

Yeah, I've found that kind of loophole kinda amusing, really. For example, my trans workmate is in a relationship with a girl, and before she transitioned, they could have married, but now they can't (not that they ever wanted to).. even though apparently if they got married when she was still presenting as a guy, they could still be legitimately married now.. *mind blown*

Really though, more than anything, it shows how fucking ridiculous 'opposite-sex only' marriage is.

I agree. Such stupidity.

It's the same in the Middle East. I've read several things, for example Iran looks down on gays and wouldn't allow marriages, but if you up and change your sex then that's fine. I mean you kind of have to respect it because you blow their mind when you're like "Well, I've really always been a woman.......so, what up?" Rather than wrap their mind around how radial that seems, it's like "Oh, well go ahead then I guess, next."

There are just so many categories of transgenders and how a lot of the gender identity stuff isn't attached to sexual orientation (while there still are correlations) it's hard for anyone to wrap their mind around. I think that different groups of people come to trans-gender (and that means anyone who crosses gender boundaries in any way, i.e. transsexuals, crossdressers, drag queens etc.) for different reasons. There are yet to be terms invented and discovered for a lot of this stuff within the community even so, they're still discovering themselves so to speak.

Yeah, I've found that kind of loophole kinda amusing, really. For example, my trans workmate is in a relationship with a girl, and before she transitioned, they could have married, but now they can't (not that they ever wanted to).. even though apparently if they got married when she was still presenting as a guy, they could still be legitimately married now.. *mind blown*

Really though, more than anything, it shows how fucking ridiculous 'opposite-sex only' marriage is.

Oh wow never thought of that that's so dumb!

Kinda off topic but in the same vein..

I think with the way humans are progressing in both technology and cultural ways gender seems to be less 'important' as it were and I think we will transcend these sorts of divisions within the next 30-50 years. People like Ray Kurzweil have a lot to say about this. Maybe we should speed things up with changing the way we speak/write our pronouns. Having the language for change surly will help acceptance etc?

Finnish doesn't have gender specific pronouns and I don't see it being that much of a difference culturally. On the other hand it made it possible to avoid the bickering that happened in Sweden recently when there was a push to introduce a gender neutral pronoun.

i knew a trans who, sadly, committed suicide. i don't know if her suicide had anything to do with her sex change. all i know is that wendy carlos made the coolest music in her time, which probably has nothing to do with her sex change. or does it?

Yeah god forbid a 'real' woman could make electronic music :rolleyes:

we were actually having a discussion about this in chatmm. i couldn't think of good female musicians who make electronic music solo (so, not bjork, goldfrapp, sviib, iamamiwhoami etc. since they work in collaboration with men). someone came up with holly herndon, who i think is decent (really only like the track 'fade' from her) and laurel halo, who i hadn't looked up before so i searched some of her stuff and i was like, ok, i can dig this. i could only come up with a couple: ayshay (off triangle records), peaches (lol), and fever ray.

out of those three, i think karin is the most talented and she's a great example of what i'd like to see more of. in fact, she's the only musician from the above group that i truly love listening to. i like peaches too, but... not in large doses.

i was telling my friend about this discussion the other night and he said, "yeah, but can you think of any good female electronic musicians who don't sing in their music?" really good point, i thought. why is it that women tend to be singers?

rebekah

cio d'or

margerat dygas

cassy

all make excellent electronic music. im sure more would come to mind if i sat for longer than 15 seconds.

we were actually having a discussion about this in chatmm. i couldn't think of good female musicians who make electronic music solo (so, not bjork, goldfrapp, sviib, iamamiwhoami etc. since they work in collaboration with men). someone came up with holly herndon, who i think is decent (really only like the track 'fade' from her) and laurel halo, who i hadn't looked up before so i searched some of her stuff and i was like, ok, i can dig this. i could only come up with a couple: ayshay (off triangle records), peaches (lol), and fever ray.

out of those three, i think karin is the most talented and she's a great example of what i'd like to see more of. in fact, she's the only musician from the above group that i truly love listening to. i like peaches too, but... not in large doses.

i was telling my friend about this discussion the other night and he said, "yeah, but can you think of any good female electronic musicians who don't sing in their music?" really good point, i thought. why is it that women tend to be singers?

you forgot Mira Calix, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush and Grace Jones. I think the playing field has normalized a lot since the early days of IDM. I see a lot of solo female musical acts popping up like Holly Herndon in the next few years.

there's been a female noise musician around for a while too, Maria Moran aka Zipper Spy

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Zipper+Spy

I've seen a lot of female noise acts pop up in just the last 2 years, in fact Pitchfork just wrote a long article about one I've never heard of who's pouring maggots all over her crotch on the album cover

Miss Kittin

Nicole Morier/Electrocute

Ladyhawke

Marsheaux

Client

Robyn

Ellen Allien

Peaches

Kevin Blechdom

Grimes

Róisín Murphy

Little Boots

HK119

Planningtorock

although this is awesome to see support for total electronica babes, i think we are getting off topic...

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to lady producers!

you forgot Mira Calix, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush and Grace Jones. I think the playing field has normalized a lot since the early days of IDM. I see a lot of solo female musical acts popping up like Holly Herndon in the next few years.

i realize i missed a lot (i don't listen to a huge variety of music), but i feel like my point still stands. seems like there are far fewer women producing quality electronic music than men.

and as much as i'd like to look up some of these artists, i feel like it's disingenuous to look them up in this context. i'd rather have someone be like "whoa, love this song" and show me one of their tracks and then i'd be like "this artist is great, let me find more of their stuff!" i hope that makes sense.

yeah, women aren't so welcomed into 'classic electronic music' as much, a lot has changed with dubstep which is really awesome.

although this is awesome to see support for total electronica babes, i think we are getting off topic...

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to lady producers!

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/49800-female-producers/

cool, cheers!

Guest RadarJammer

public restrooms are an interesting angle to the discussion. if you identify with the opposite sex should you be allowed free passage to use the opposite sex's public restroom? as a guy the idea of a women who identifies herself as a man shitting in the stall next to me makes me uncomfortable but it doesn't scare me but i'm pretty startled at the idea of someone with a penis using the women's restrooms. lots of states are trying to figure it out in the court rooms.

It must be tough to go through with the whole shebang, have your penis sliced and made into a vagina, hormone therapy, and then still wonder if you'll ever be desirable. It says a lot about the emotional, psychological stress of feeling like you should be the opposite sex to sacrifice your normal appearance.

I'm probably being ignorant, vain, and immature (sue me) but I'd rather be a regular guy than unsettlingly weird looking pseudo-woman. It's just hard for me to imagine being happier after this: (I'm still questioning this example)

tdfaZmp.jpg

VsGhN1l.jpg

Guest tht tne

VsGhN1l.jpg

i refuse to acknowledge pre-current neckfat keanu, update pic immediately or the consequences will never be the same

i realize i missed a lot (i don't listen to a huge variety of music), but i feel like my point still stands. seems like there are far fewer women producing quality electronic music than men.

and as much as i'd like to look up some of these artists, i feel like it's disingenuous to look them up in this context. i'd rather have someone be like "whoa, love this song" and show me one of their tracks and then i'd be like "this artist is great, let me find more of their stuff!" i hope that makes sense.

Mrs. Jinx

Archived