IGNORED

Transgender

gmanyo

Guest feralkittens

My ex is mtf. I was with her before and after transition. I want to say "nbd" because it wasn't really an issue for me, but it kind of is a big deal because transition is a crazy time. It's cool to see someone change and become happier with themselves (not that it always happens that way for everyone). There were also super stressful times too. It sounds hippie dippy but gender identity has never been very important to me when I consider people I'm interested in dating.

I consider it a bigger deal that she got me into autechre.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin Blechdom

probably one of the most overlooked of the bunch, really inventive and weird electronic music. deserves a lot more recognition imo

She is amazing live! She has visited New Zealand a few times, so much fun

Guest RadarJammer

I guess it's just not for me.

its not that often you are expected to exercise suspension of disbelief in real life. there's nothing ignorant, vain or immature about finding gender reassignment uncomfortable or difficult to perceive. it's like an 80's cronenberg movie or something. some people are infected with the gender worm

its kinda strange that we're all expected to be so zen and understanding about something that's so bizzare and tripped out

Guest tht tne

I guess it's just not for me.

its not that often you are expected to exercise suspension of disbelief in real life. there's nothing ignorant, vain or immature about finding gender reassignment uncomfortable or difficult to perceive. it's like an 80's cronenberg movie or something. some people are infected with the gender worm

its kinda strange that we're all expected to be so zen and understanding about something that's so bizzare and tripped out

also that we're expected to welcome with open arms something entirely personal that is being made an issue of "universal importance"

You guys said it better than I could. And watching that video made me question Wachowski's decision even more. It sounds like he's still trying to convince himself, let alone other people.

It's all about how he acts and speaks. Like his new identity is not as a woman, but as some warped caricature of a woman. Put that against a speech that is supposed to inspire people and it seems like some kind of mockery. Shit's incongruent, yo.

Guest RadarJammer

It's not up to you to decide what anybody's identity is, you human turd.

what troubles me and seems ironic about transgender people is when they try and transform so they can feel at home in their body yet they always seem to be modulating their voice and body language in a way that makes them look tense and like they aren't truly being themselves at all

It's called transitioning for a reason. You don't just get up one morning, decide you're gonna switch genders and bam, there you go.

I'm not deciding anyone's identity, but I can observe people's behavior and comment on it. If I went out of my way to disingenuously make friends with a transgendered person to show how tolerant and compassionate I was, would it make you feel better? If anything ever came up on a ballot for LGBT rights I would vote in their favor. But nonetheless, I don't run into too many transgendered people and my only strong feelings on the subject are that people can make this decision for themselves, I don't identify with their situation, and I'm glad that's not me.

Guest Iain C

I'm not deciding anyone's identity, but I can observe people's behavior and comment on it.

You certainly can, from a position of utter ignorance and irrelevance, like a human turd.

Yeah god forbid a 'real' woman could make electronic music :rolleyes:

we were actually having a discussion about this in chatmm. i couldn't think of good female musicians who make electronic music solo (so, not bjork, goldfrapp, sviib, iamamiwhoami etc. since they work in collaboration with men). someone came up with holly herndon, who i think is decent (really only like the track 'fade' from her) and laurel halo, who i hadn't looked up before so i searched some of her stuff and i was like, ok, i can dig this. i could only come up with a couple: ayshay (off triangle records), peaches (lol), and fever ray.

out of those three, i think karin is the most talented and she's a great example of what i'd like to see more of. in fact, she's the only musician from the above group that i truly love listening to. i like peaches too, but... not in large doses.

i was telling my friend about this discussion the other night and he said, "yeah, but can you think of any good female electronic musicians who don't sing in their music?" really good point, i thought. why is it that women tend to be singers?

you forgot Mira Calix, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush and Grace Jones. I think the playing field has normalized a lot since the early days of IDM. I see a lot of solo female musical acts popping up like Holly Herndon in the next few years.

i realize i missed a lot (i don't listen to a huge variety of music), but i feel like my point still stands. seems like there are far fewer women producing quality electronic music than men.

and as much as i'd like to look up some of these artists, i feel like it's disingenuous to look them up in this context. i'd rather have someone be like "whoa, love this song" and show me one of their tracks and then i'd be like "this artist is great, let me find more of their stuff!" i hope that makes sense.

Mrs. Jinx

Grouper, Annie, Leila, Grimes

It's all about how he acts and speaks. Like his new identity is not as a woman, but as some warped caricature of a woman. Put that against a speech that is supposed to inspire people and it seems like some kind of mockery. Shit's incongruent, yo.

you might not agree with what she did, but at least be respectful and refer to her as "she." it's insulting to refer to someone using words dedicated to the opposite gender. imagine if someone talked about you using the words she and her.

there is no such thing as a real woman. there is an average woman, yes, but if people did not deviate from the average, the world would be boring. enjoy the diversity and strangeness of human instead of feeling uncomfortable about it.

Guest Iain C

Finnish doesn't have gender specific pronouns and I don't see it being that much of a difference culturally. On the other hand it made it possible to avoid the bickering that happened in Sweden recently when there was a push to introduce a gender neutral pronoun.

I meant to ask you about this because it's really interesting. So there's no way for example to say "He went to the shop"? I assume the pronouns translate to something more like "that one went to the shop," "this one went to the shop," "one went to the shop"?

It's particularly interesting for me at the moment because I'm learning ancient Greek where gender plays a huge part in determining meaning.

So for example the masculine or feminine form of the definite article ("the" in English) alone can refer to a man or woman depending on context: "ὁ ἐν τῃ οἰκιᾳ" meaning literally "the (masculine) in the house" for "the man in the house" or "ἡ ἐν τῃ οἰκιᾳ" for "the woman in the house". And there are plural versions for "men" and "women" too.

This is in addition to the actual nouns for man, men, woman, women etc.

Guest tht tne

Iain C why do you care enough to call someone a human turd who disagrees with you, are you an internet user or something

Archived