IGNORED

Dubstep is dead

MadameChaos

Guest Adam

I knew it was futile to try to re-assert what dubstep "really" sounds like when I realized most people would refer to this as the "dubstep" remix of La Roux...

and not this...

Im glad about it because that skream remix is absolutely terribly hilariously amateurish beyond words. Skrillex is annoying but at least he knows his shit and doesnt sound like a 12 year youtube producer. I'm so happy that the "real dubstep" scene is dead cus it was even more pretentious and delusional than idm.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

skrillex isnt dubstep he is complextro get your facts right

FUCKING LOL - "COMPLEXTRO" - finally I word I hate more than "IDM"

Do people still hate IDM? I find it sort've endearing in the year 2013

Im glad about it because that skream remix is absolutely terribly hilariously amateurish beyond words. Skrillex is annoying but at least he knows his shit and doesnt sound like a 12 year youtube producer. I'm so happy that the "real dubstep" scene is dead cus it was even more pretentious and delusional than idm.

The Skrillex remix was way more enjoyable than that Skream thing.

tbh

imo

truth

fact

These responses actually reinforce why I felt so relieved when I stopped giving a shit about dubstep being "ruined" by brostep or Skrillex or whatever. That is a fairly weak Skream remix, but then again the Skrillex one is just ridiculous. Oh course most people, especially those with not one fucking clue about electronic music, would find the Skrillex remix more appealing.

Dubstep was slow, sparse sub-bass driven music that didn't make much sense outside of the clubs or pirate radio - I loved the first wave of producers were influenced by it (the Dutch scene, Bristol producers, the crossover releases made by veteran techno producers, etc). The golden age was around 2005-2008. And as I said earlier, all the good producers have moved on. It evolved.

sounds like a remix of an old garage track vocal with worse mixing and drums overlayed on top.

It's funny i was watching some music clip show the other day, and there was a new track (with nice synths and a little more modern vibe) that was essentially oldschool UKG as well. So that is what's replacing dubstep then eh. Cause i don't remember the americans picking up on UKG the first time round.

The Skrillex remix was way more enjoyable than that Skream thing.

tbh

imo

truth

fact

These responses actually reinforce why I felt so relieved when I stopped giving a shit about dubstep being "ruined" by brostep or Skrillex or whatever. That is a fairly weak Skream remix, but then again the Skrillex one is just ridiculous. Oh course most people, especially those with not one fucking clue about electronic music, would find the Skrillex remix more appealing.

Now that is rude. If only everyone could be as cool and IDM as you, the world would be a better, and smarter place.

Guest Adam

Ur just old so you dont like cheesy chords and phat drums, we get it, not a big fan myself, it is well made tho. If you had any fucking clue about electronic music you wouldn't post 12 yr old level producer level track who used fl studio stock drums and a bassline from a preset going on for 5 mins as an example of REAL DUBSTEP.

Guest M360

It would have been better if dubstep were summed on one concept album, done by one or two of the best artists. They all sounded so similar

Guest jasondonervan

I can remember going to plenty of nights in Bristol when things were getting off the ground for dubstep. Due to the city's rich history of dnb music makers, it was a natural progression for many to give it a go. That, combined with younger heads just starting out meant for a fertile landscape in the early years. So many good underground nights were happening, you were spoilt for choice. Every night had new tunes as fresh dubplates were always doing the rounds. Some of the best nights I went to were at small scale venues, with less than a hundred people in the place. No trouble, no dude-bro's, and no sense of elitism either - but then, Bristol is pretty renowned for it's laid back attitude - it was never about posturing at all.

Early Pinch and Peverelist sets were memorable favourites for me, and Shackleton was always somewhere to be found. The local Warrior Dubz launch night was brilliant, in fact it was probably one of the pinnacle nights of the scene at the time. A ridiculously heavy system stacked out in a disused church, packed to the rafters... such a great night. All that is mostly gone from the city now. Nights still exist, but due to the rise of the brostep wubs, practically any producer/DJ worth their salt have well and truly distanced themselves from being tarred with the same brush.

Rephlex shoulda never released Grime imo. seems to have been the beginning of the end for them too.

edit: but they should totally sign the gay vampire opera dubstep dude.

I remember the first time I heard what was then so-called "dubstep". It was in London in an upstairs venue above a pub. I didn't like it at all, it was just like pure bass and some high hats sprinkled in. Think I saw Paradox there around the same time but can't remember who was playing it. It may have been Medium or Movement. I forget what my point is.

there were quite a few times back when dubstep was en vogue in 2007 or something, when i went to see EDMX and Luke Vibert and a few others and they'd be playing a really good set then suddenly drop a load of fucking dubstep...i never knew what the fuck i was supposed to do, i certainly couldn't dance to it. you can't fucking rave to dubstep. what a load of shit.

If your output is based on adhering to a determined style I think you're making a mistake, and to expect any kind of longevity would be foolish.

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

IDM isnt just a word; it's a lifestyle

Guest jasondonervan

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

IDMver can get down with that

Y8UYobD.jpg

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

IDMver can get down with that

Y8UYobD.jpg

OMFG I've seen the cartoon that stupid dinosaur is on...

I thought Skrilks was Prog House, 110, and Dubstep all rolled into a variety of EPs...

Archived