IGNORED

Dubstep is dead

MadameChaos

I'm so happy that the "real dubstep" scene is dead cus it was even more pretentious and delusional than idm.

100% agree, the Wire magazine will never look the same to me after they hyped up all the early dubstep people so hardcore. A few of them stand out from the rest, but most of the originators like Pinch, Skream and Benga are not very good. There wasn't a point in their career where they were ever making strong work that wasn't going to be dated a year out from it's release.

While i could understand the disdain for brostep taking over 'real' dubstep. IT's nowhere near the level of quality and the run jungle/drum&bass had before it was taken over by the mainstream producers.

So Kode 9's statement about it going the way of jungle is based on a false premise, that dubstep was anywhere remotely close to how much good jungle there was for a long period of time.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ZombieLincoln666

Ironically there was quite a bit of dubstep/brostep at the Movement festival this year in Detroit.

This whole dubstep/brostep thing was just electronic music's turn to have a bunch of shitty musicians gain popularity. I feel like part of its rapid emergence (and decline) was due to the low cost for production. The overhead is almost nothing. As a result, the market became saturated quickly because it is such formulaic music that you can make with a laptop and a pirated copy of ableton. No one buys albums anymore, so it doesn't really matter that all your songs are the same. I'm not even sure Skrillex released an album. They all make their money by DJing dirty bass drops to drugged out trustifarian-type people, and the songs are de facto flyers for their "live" sets.

How long till post-dubstep and a dubstep revival wave?

post-dubstep is already a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep#Post-dubstep

It is basically music with bass in it that doesn't wobble that much.

Nobody here actually likes dubstep then. Contrary to everyone's stupid malformed opinions, dubstep is not dead, and I think the original sound continues to refine itself. Because of the brostep schism, dubstep has become (in response) more ambient, more meditative, more heady. It has gathered a lot of influences from minimal and dub techno as well as juke, trap, future-garage, tribal sounds...there is even some new jungle style dubstep comin out. and kept that sub-bass, powerfully dark drive. I love the variety in dubstep because I feel originally that that was one of the best features of the genre, the fact that there is a really open template for making dark bassy halftime music.

I listen to dubterrain.fm all the time and they play newly released stuff that hits the spot for me.

Objekt, the Hemlock crew, Deeper Vibrations Jack Sparrow, Deep Medi, Goth Trad, Kryptic Minds, Killawatt.

I think that because dubstep isn't 'cool' and 'new' and 'hip' anymore only the TRUE HEADZ are still monitoring the scene. Compare what happened to dubstep to Breakbeat Hardcore branching off into jungle and happyhardcore and then DNB becoming music for commercials. Same shit. Naturally the good music goes back underground.

I still listen to new dubstep regularly because there is no other music that gets me in that dark meditative zone.

peace

Guest Adam

the market became saturated quickly because it is such formulaic music that you can make with a laptop and a pirated copy of ableton.

What music can't you make with a laptop and a pirated copy of ableton?

Guest Rulohead32

the market became saturated quickly because it is such formulaic music that you can make with a laptop and a pirated copy of ableton.

good music

good music
:wtf:

good music

Simply not true.

edit: of course you should pay for Ableton, but...

If you think dubstep is dead, you aren't listening to dubstep. Contrary to everyone's stupid malformed opinions, dubstep is not dead, and I think the original sound continues to refine itself. Because of the brostep schism, dubstep has become (in response) more ambient, more meditative, more heady. It has gathered a lot of influences from minimal and dub techno as well as juke, trap, future-garage, tribal sounds...there is even some new jungle style dubstep comin out. and kept that sub-bass, powerfully dark drive. I love the variety in dubstep because I feel originally that that was one of the best features of the genre, the fact that there is a really open template for making dark bassy halftime music.

I listen to dubterrain.fm all the time and they play newly released stuff that hits the spot for me.

Objekt, the Hemlock crew, Deeper Vibrations Jack Sparrow, Deep Medi, Goth Trad, Kryptic Minds, Killawatt.

I think that because dubstep isn't 'cool' and 'new' and 'hip' anymore only the TRUE HEADZ are still monitoring the scene. Compare what happened to dubstep to Breakbeat Hardcore branching off into jungle and happyhardcore and then DNB becoming music for commercials. Same shit. Naturally the good music goes back underground.

I still listen to new dubstep regularly because there is no other music that gets me in that dark meditative zone.

peace

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

skrillex isnt dubstep he is complextro get your facts right

FUCKING LOL - "COMPLEXTRO" - finally I word I hate more than "IDM"

IDM isnt just a word; it's a lifestyle

IDMver can get down with that

Y8UYobD.jpg

OMFG I've seen the cartoon that stupid dinosaur is on...

I thought Skrilks was Prog House, 110, and Dubstep all rolled into a variety of EPs...

Haha, me too...

Denver, the Last Dinosaur.

denver1.jpg

I'm so happy that the "real dubstep" scene is dead cus it was even more pretentious and delusional than idm.

100% agree, the Wire magazine will never look the same to me after they hyped up all the early dubstep people so hardcore. A few of them stand out from the rest, but most of the originators like Pinch, Skream and Benga are not very good. There wasn't a point in their career where they were ever making strong work that wasn't going to be dated a year out from it's release.

While i could understand the disdain for brostep taking over 'real' dubstep. IT's nowhere near the level of quality and the run jungle/drum&bass had before it was taken over by the mainstream producers.

So Kode 9's statement about it going the way of jungle is based on a false premise, that dubstep was anywhere remotely close to how much good jungle there was for a long period of time.

Well, Kode9 stated this when dubstep scene was still in progress, he couldn't know how good or bad it would sound after it's gone. He was initially a jungle DJ, so he saw the pattern as soon as 'wobble' aesthetic became prominent. For me, he was the central ideologic figure of dubstep, because nigga wrote the book on sonic terror and published advanced yo stuff on Hyperdub site. If it wasn't for his activity, it's highly likely that there would be no Burial and Burial was the most influential artist out of this whole scene on many levels despite not being dubstep.

'real' dubstep i quite liked before i went to fwd, but then i went & that changed, the atmosphere in that place was increadible & the soundsystem was marvelous, being in a dark small smoky room with something like these tracks playing was awesome:

also seeing benga dj with skepta on the mic (for his birthday) was also fantastic, jme & d double e would just be walking about, then benga dropped this

ah man, and plastician playing cha was insane, the place just blew up (lots of gun sounds & triggers fingers, shouting, jumping & lighters being lit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaTKCBVR86A

denver1.jpg

Those people all have the same fucking face and it's tripping me the fuck out. :wtf:

I think this was a French show dubbed in English, which makes sense because it seemed dated and out of touch when it actually aired in the early 90s.

Nobody here actually likes dubstep then. Contrary to everyone's stupid malformed opinions, dubstep is not dead, and I think the original sound continues to refine itself. Because of the brostep schism, dubstep has become (in response) more ambient, more meditative, more heady. It has gathered a lot of influences from minimal and dub techno as well as juke, trap, future-garage, tribal sounds...there is even some new jungle style dubstep comin out. and kept that sub-bass, powerfully dark drive. I love the variety in dubstep because I feel originally that that was one of the best features of the genre, the fact that there is a really open template for making dark bassy halftime music.

peace

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy.

Well, Kode9 stated this when dubstep scene was still in progress, he couldn't know how good or bad it would sound after it's gone. He was initially a jungle DJ, so he saw the pattern as soon as 'wobble' aesthetic became prominent. For me, he was the central ideologic figure of dubstep, because nigga wrote the book on sonic terror and published advanced yo stuff on Hyperdub site. If it wasn't for his activity, it's highly likely that there would be no Burial and Burial was the most influential artist out of this whole scene on many levels despite not being dubstep.

Mala and Coki were huge jungle heads as well, which is probably why Digital Mystikz almost sounded like really good d'n'b that was stripped of the breakbeats. DJ Zinc's 138 Trek is something of a missing link as well. But most of the scene came out of Grime and "dark garage" productions. In fact if I recall correctly, the dubstep name was part nod to dub music in general, part nod to 2-step, and the actual vinyl pressed was done so as instrumental UK garage b-sides. Kode9 was a huge promoter by hosting Rinse.fm and likewise FWD and DMZ help unify the scene.

'real' dubstep i quite liked before i went to fwd, but then i went & that changed, the atmosphere in that place was increadible & the soundsystem was marvelous, being in a dark small smoky room with something like these tracks playing was awesome:

also seeing benga dj with skepta on the mic (for his birthday) was also fantastic, jme & d double e would just be walking about, then benga dropped this

ah man, and plastician playing cha was insane, the place just blew up (lots of gun sounds & triggers fingers, shouting, jumping & lighters being lit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaTKCBVR86A

I should of posted these instead of that subpar Skream remix. But still, all these dubstep blokes all still sound like 12 year olds with FL Studio compared to Skrillex and his super fun complextro, amirite?! :emotawesomepm9:

And for the record I respect Skream more and always will - sure some of his output is crap but he was producing from 15, using pirated software and actively spinning dubplates in the same clubs he used to attend. The same time Skream blew up Skrillex was posting in 8-bits forums asking out to run VSTs in FLStudio while trying to figure what to do after being in a screamo band. It's just a different level of sincerity they have toward their music. If that makes me a pretentious asshole so be it.

quote from dubstepforum

Re: This Skream! malarky..

icon_post_target.gifby seckle » Wed May 29, 2013 4:09 pm

no ones talking about the power dynamic changing. if you've been here for a while you know that the media is dying to spin genre's out the window, in order to declare new genres, or more importantly, that they declared a new genre first.

the problem now of course, is that print media doesn't hold the power anymore. back in 2002, when XLR8R put "dubstep" on its cover for the first time, the electronic music scene was still utterly dependent on print media. XLR8R was one of the biggest magazine's in electronica at that time. when a genre got featured in XLR8R, everyone paid attention. XLR8R was only one of a handful of magazines writing about the sound back in 2002, but it was the first to put it on its cover. to a large extent, IMO, that cover started a snowball rollin.

these days, as was the case in this RBMA interview, bloggers love to put Skream on the spot with a microphone. he always get's thrown the dubstep health status question. this is going back several years now.

when Nas declared hiphop dead on his album cover, everyone laughed and moved on. the same amnesia applies here. people have been declaring dubstep dead for years, but in the world of soundcloud and youtube, does any genre ever die off? and if you're the person waving the death of dubstep flags, just to declare yourself the future...how's that working out for you?

big up to the skream. its boring being THAT guy for an entire genre. i bet if you ask goldie, how he feels about being THAT guy, he'd say the same.
also for watmmers who want to hear some great new stuff check out some of the names and choons in this article. article is dumb but the trax r good.
http://www.mixmag.net/words/features/whos-going-to-save-dubstep

skream hasn't made a good track since skreamizm anyhow

:wink:

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I still listen to dubstep and have no plans of stopping. sure, it had its effects on music both good and bad. it's evolved and branched off into different areas. actually, right from the beginning it was already pretty diverse with stuff ranging from lush upbeat 2-step stuff like horsepower to breakstep stuff like toastyboy to half-step stuff like digital mystikz. I still find the stretch and snap-back sort of rhythm combined with sub bass to be addictive. just because it's been misinterpreted and misunderstood doesn't mean you have to stop liking it.

FLOL Skream you fucking tool, had no idea he was that stupid

Skream is not calling it quits on DJing. He said he will be focusing more on Disco and Funk.

OH HURR DURR IM NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE SO ILL STOP MAKING 70BPM MUSIC WITH TOO MUCH BASS AND START MAKING FASTER MUSIC WITH BRASSES AND GUITARS AND SHIT

140 bpm. they didn't call it half-step for nothing.

If your output is based on adhering to a determined style I think you're making a mistake, and to expect any kind of longevity would be foolish.

excellent point. a musical genre is like a language in that if it's not changing, it's dead.

i don't wanna piss on the party but the last Coki ep was awesome imo

mdma-o.gif

you gotta admire coki's perseverance. he still makes the best wobblers.

peace

well said. *high five*

Archived