IGNORED

Boc Old Tunes 1 + 2 / Boc Maxima / orig Twosim etc

Bambi

Who's to say whether these tapes would yield better quality copies than those publicly available? The tapes could be worn, mangled, sun-bleached, half-erased due to magnetic fields, or they might just not be high quality copies in the first place. Anyone spending big money in the hope of yielding better quality (rather than simply accepting the items as super-cool collectables) is taking a big gamble considering the price that will have to be paid.

Also, it's certainly not a given that whoever is lucky enough to win these auctions (if they do indeed finish, though I see no legal reason for them not to) will ever make copies available publically. I know if I spent a fortune to win the tapes, they'd be going nowhere near the Internet - and that's completely aside from the legal or ethical issues involved, I just wouldn't want anybody else to have them! Considering the legal side, if the winner(s) of the tapes did put copies out there, there'd be a pretty easy trail to follow for any legal action that came later so they'd have to be pretty dumb/carefree.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so have you guys actually heard these tunes then. what if they're a bit shit.

I'd say the majority of the people on here have - and they're pretty grand (though if I was being critical some of the tracks could do with trimming - it's quite an effort to tackle the 80 ish mins of Old Tunes vol2 in one sitting and seems to have about 5 interlude style endings )

ive actually realised i always had this one my computer but never listened to it because i didnt like the first few tracks. i might give it a listen today on my bike ride.

a hand full of the tape tracks is cool the rest is just vaguely interesting as you can see where they are coming from

This is not some epic release they are hiding its just some early works that's interesting for historical reasons

Can anyone tell me how many copies of both the Old Tunes tapes exist?

No-one knows that, quite likely that even "The Brothers" don't know.

Just a thought - there's always the possibility that the seller could do a reel swap with an inferior high-speed dub ferric pound-shop cassette, thus rendering the whole re-bootlegging issue moot. I remember doing that a few times "back in the day"

Edit - could even record over the tape with the MP3s! How funny would that be!

ive actually realised i always had this one my computer but never listened to it because i didnt like the first few tracks. i might give it a listen today on my bike ride.

I think the fractured nature of the albums might actually suit listening it on a bike ride. Just been listening to A Few Old Tunes after a long gap from listening (this thread has got be to start going through them again) and I forgot how amazing Mansel is - just so minimal, with every fragile note fighting for attention. Beautiful

I'm guessing Random 35 Tracks Tape (or what was known as Old Tunes Vol.1) must be the rarest of these old compilations here as it never seems to surface aside from that leak back in '06. It might be my favourite of the three and has by far my favourite track by them (the one that evolved into Seven Forty Seven)

thread trajectory: op, rolling lulz, Alzado weighs in, thread goes downhill faster than a little kid inside a tyre

Yeah, well wtf? I didn't post anything inflammatory. And, despite Joyrex's copyright class, I'm the only one on the forum who has any idea what he's talking about. But hey, Alzado's an asshole so...

every single person in this thread has acted like a petulant child and/or sophomoric idiot, and I am reveling in it.*

*me included, obviously

*argues about copyright law regarding a thousand-dollar cassette*

thread trajectory: op, rolling lulz, Alzado weighs in, thread goes downhill faster than a little kid inside a tyre

Yeah, well wtf? I didn't post anything inflammatory. And, despite Joyrex's copyright class, I'm the only one on the forum who has any idea what he's talking about. But hey, Alzado's an asshole so...

I don't think that he's suggested that you made the thread go down hill. Well at least i hope that isn't the implication.

I don't think that he's suggested that you made the thread go down hill. Well at least i hope that isn't the implication.

Yeah, if anything, I thought the implicature was that yours was the last decent post before the rest of us showed up.

I believe in you, Alzado.

What incentive does Boards have to release these tracks now that poor quality copies are all over online, and not almost certainly higher quality ones will surface?

I mean, I would assume the incentive on releasing these tracks would be to please fans and make money? No one really wants shit quality rips. I certainly don't, and that's why I don't have them. People are settling. Boards have had all the time in the world to re-release these cassettes in some form or another. They've yet to do it, and again, probably won't.

The problem with that (and the unfortunate reality) is most people are content with the relatively low quality of the illegal rips of these releases, and probably won't bother buying a higher quality version. We're in the minority here where we crave the highest quality possible for our music collections.

And your assumption they've had all the time in the world baffles me - it took them 8 years to release a new album, which was most certainly delayed by having kids, raising them, and working on the album in the interim - do you think they've had the free time to cull through their extensive back catalogue and pick out material they'd be willing to put into a compilation? There's more to releasing music than just putting it out there - especially when you're talking about Boards of Canada - they don't just put stuff out - look at how much went into making artwork for these DIY releases. Hell, my Melodies from Mars cassette has Richard's handwriting scrawled on it and that's it.

(makes me wonder why that's not up for auction either - that and CAT023 would get MUCH more than these OT cassettes combined... then again, this is Richard we're talking about...

3) Quick copyright 101: you retain an informal copyright the moment you create something. It does not matter if those works are released for sale or exhibition or not, no one but the copyright holder has the right to the works.

Your view of copyright would preclude anyone from selling anything ever. It makes no sense, Joyrex. There is no violation of copyright in simply selling a tape with copyrighted material on it.

At heart copyright pertains to the "right to copy" and it does not apply to this sort of thing.

The media has nothing to do with the copyright on the work contained within, and that's the point.

Let's talk when you've taken a copyright law course as part of your degree. And yes, I've taken copyright law classes as part of my professional degree.

I've taken commercial law and I can tell you you're not 100% on the money joyboss. I won't argue with anyone but I can say there's nothing legally wrong with selling this item. I can't see anything ethically wrong either as its giving another fan a chance to enjoy this item.

Also I'm surprised you didn't answer my pm. I wasn't intending it to be flammatory I just wanted your take on it...

I never said there was anything legally wrong with selling them - it's morally wrong, for whatever that means to each person, and for me, and others, it is wrong since it was never given to begin with to be sold or given to just anyone. It's a lack of respect for Boards' work, and the inevitable piracy of these will reflect that. I did answer your PM; I wasn't online much this weekend and missed it.

Just thinking out loud: I wonder how Mike would feel if someone sold a tape with his unreleased tracks on Ebay that he had eventual plans to release (Meast, Somerset Avenue Tracks) before he got a chance to?

i have a somewhat related question:

weren't copies of Old Tunes sold or attempted to be sold years back? did they sell them or were the entries retracted for some reason?

Yep, still remember the whole Prince Murat saga last time this arose (whoever he/she was)

Unfortunate that it was on a previous incarnation of the board database.

If Daft Punk could stream it's new album, why would BOC have any trouble?

because Warp haven't paid for a good pipe on Amazon S3?

it crumbled under Exai release.

Guest Papillon

What incentive does Boards have to release these tracks now that poor quality copies are all over online, and not almost certainly higher quality ones will surface?

I mean, I would assume the incentive on releasing these tracks would be to please fans and make money? No one really wants shit quality rips. I certainly don't, and that's why I don't have them. People are settling. Boards have had all the time in the world to re-release these cassettes in some form or another. They've yet to do it, and again, probably won't.

The problem with that (and the unfortunate reality) is most people are content with the relatively low quality of the illegal rips of these releases, and probably won't bother buying a higher quality version. We're in the minority here where we crave the highest quality possible for our music collections.

And your assumption they've had all the time in the world baffles me - it took them 8 years to release a new album, which was most certainly delayed by having kids, raising them, and working on the album in the interim - do you think they've had the free time to cull through their extensive back catalogue and pick out material they'd be willing to put into a compilation? There's more to releasing music than just putting it out there - especially when you're talking about Boards of Canada - they don't just put stuff out - look at how much went into making artwork for these DIY releases. Hell, my Melodies from Mars cassette has Richard's handwriting scrawled on it and that's it.

(makes me wonder why that's not up for auction either - that and CAT023 would get MUCH more than these OT cassettes combined... then again, this is Richard we're talking about...

(I asked that very question myself) I think they are probably going to ebay CAT023 one week before the next AFX record comes out when teh hype level is insane and they can get the most moneys for someone elses musics. :emotawesomepm9:

I've taken commercial law and I can tell you you're not 100% on the money joyboss. I won't argue with anyone but I can say there's nothing legally wrong with selling this item. I can't see anything ethically wrong either as its giving another fan a chance to enjoy this item.

Also I'm surprised you didn't answer my pm. I wasn't intending it to be flammatory I just wanted your take on it...

I never said there was anything legally wrong with selling them - it's morally wrong, for whatever that means to each person, and for me, and others, it is wrong since it was never given to begin with to be sold or given to just anyone. It's a lack of respect for Boards' work, and the inevitable piracy of these will reflect that. I did answer your PM; I wasn't online much this weekend and missed it.

Just thinking out loud: I wonder how Mike would feel if someone sold a tape with his unreleased tracks on Ebay that he had eventual plans to release (Meast, Somerset Avenue Tracks) before he got a chance to?

I bet he wouldn't have liked that very much would he?? :cerious:

That's assuming they would put out some sort of a compilation. Agreed that would take a long time. However, remastering the tapes and reprinting or releasing them digitally shouldn't be a complete time sink at all. And in terms of having kids and all that, I've seen several musicians with children go on short tours, come out with more than 1 great album (solo or collab), run a label, run a mastering service, etc. in an 8 year span. I guess it comes down to how devoted to your music you are. I don't know Boards personally, and who knows what their situation was, but to me it seems like they were less concerned with working on music while they were raising their kids, which is totally fair.

i have a somewhat related question:

weren't copies of Old Tunes sold or attempted to be sold years back? did they sell them or were the entries retracted for some reason?

Yep, still remember the whole Prince Murat saga last time this arose (whoever he/she was)

Unfortunate that it was on a previous incarnation of the board database.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Old_Tunes_saga

Who the hell is this Prince Murat guy? His name keeps popping up in this thread. Name reminds me of Eddie Murphy in Coming To America. Was he selling shit or was he some rich bidder? Can he compete with this rich guy from Tokyo who i read about on the last page who is gonna bid £4000 for these cassettes? I swooned when i read that.

Archived