IGNORED

Boc Old Tunes 1 + 2 / Boc Maxima / orig Twosim etc

Bambi

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno, but I'm starting to think the only way to scare bronies away, is by creating a "Nice Tits" thread. It kinda blocks those "dudes without testosteron". Or whatever the deal is with these guys.

Guest tht tne

*somewhat off-topic, but all this talk 'Bronies' warrants some explanation I think...

A friend of mine tried to get me into this My Little Pony redux but the appeal is completely lost on me... I love shows like Venture Bros, Super Jail and Adventure Time, but seriously how has My Little Pony bubbled up to the top of the fanboy heap?

it's just the end times, i.e.:

jesus is coming soon

morning or night or noon

many will meet their doom

trumpets will sound

all of the dead shall rise

righteous meet in the skies

going where no one dies

heavenward bound

*somewhat off-topic, but all this talk 'Bronies' warrants some explanation I think...

A friend of mine tried to get me into this My Little Pony redux but the appeal is completely lost on me... I love shows like Venture Bros, Super Jail and Adventure Time, but seriously how has My Little Pony bubbled up to the top of the fanboy heap?

it's just the end times, i.e.:

jesus is coming soon

morning or night or noon

many will meet their doom

trumpets will sound

all of the dead shall rise

righteous meet in the skies

going where no one dies

heavenward bound

"And all the tiny limp dicks gathered,

To debate and all that

No questions were answered

Just a Nic Cage photo of him posted...

As a Cat"

cage-cat-3.png

someone must have given a pretty sweet offer to end an auction like this early. Would love to know how much they got for all 3 tapes, i'm guessing somewhere around the $2500 range.

Guest Papillon

The tapes have now been exchanged privately to a undisclosed seller. All three tapes are now not available.

Lol @ undisclosed seller. Does that mean that the 'seller' will be putting them back up on ebay soon? or did you mean undisclosed buyer?

Lady you're kind of cute by the way is that you in your avatar?

The tapes have now been exchanged privately to a undisclosed seller. All three tapes are now not available.

And how much did Joyrex pay for them?

Guest vtok

And how much did Mark Sandison pay for them?

fix'd

I've come to an arrangement to exchange the 3 tapes for something the buyer can offer which is mutually beneficial to everyone, hopefully. No money changing hands. It is pretty exciting though.

Guest Papillon

And how much did Mark Sandison pay for them?

fix'd

Mike Sandison

fix'd

i don't think the legality matters. i think we need to ask ourselves, again, what do you do when someone gives you a gift? what type of person sells it for profit years down the line? do you want to be that sort?

I think it all depends on the item that was given as a gift, which clearly depending on what item it is and your desire to have it it's your prerogative as the new owner to sell it or keep it as you wish. 'what type of person?' well again, if mike's relationship with the BOC boys wasn't as close friends, or even acquaintances and it was sent in as an unsolicited demo, then based on this alone it doesn't give any insight whatsoever to his character or ethics. In fact I would say that since he's making this available at all, he's actually doing the rabid fans a favor, and you better believe there are hundreds if not thousands of them who would give one of their limbs to get an original copy of this tape.

To me it's just weird how this in any way is an ethical dilemma.

- somebody is selling a very rare highly sought after item that was not given to them with any sort of contract or even vocal unofficial agreement not to distribute it

- BOC fans feeling territorial and in a misguided fashion believing what they think BOC themselves are thinking, say the auction is wrong and unethical. When unless BOC themselves have spoken on this matter publicly, it is all second hand and unverifiable information seemingly invented by the fanbase or people who think they 'know' them

- BOC fans who can't afford it but secretly want it scream about how wrong and immoral it is, but if they could easily afford it , they would be whistling a different tune.

I've just never seen this type of attitude before when dealing with very rare early tapes by artists. When copies of Skinny Puppy's Back and Forth cassette pop up on ebay, people go crazy with joy. When copies of Throbbing Gristle's original Best of Vol 1 pop up, fans lose their shit and clamor to obtain a copy. So why is it when someone sells the BOC equivalent of these, their fans get mad and scold the sellers?

I don't know BOC fans well enough to answer for that, but from what I can tell they seem ultra territorial and defensive in comparison to the average indie music fan. Which strikes me as odd especially for how non-public BOC are, they rarely do interviews and we practically know little to nothing about them personally for the last decade. Where does this territorial nature come from?

I think the main thing people are missing here is it was a gift... with their copyrighted work on it - meant just for that person, and the (unspoken) expectation was the receiver wasn't going to make copies or sell it to the highest bidder. I am sure Mike P. has given people CDrs and tapes of his unreleased material to his mates, and so has Richard, Tom, Andy, etc. - I think it's a reasonable assumption that any of them would be pissed if their unreleased material (whether they had plans on releasing it or not) appeared on Ebay, especially sold in an opportunistic fashion like this is. There's no need (or, perhaps there was) for a contract, or even a "hey, don't pass this around, eh?" - Just because BoC hasn't stated anything anything about this (really, when have they made a statement about anything in the last 8+ years? it's just not their style).

I love the examples you cite - was Skinny Puppy's "Back and Forth" officially released, or the tracks contained appeared on other releases? Or Throbbing Gristle? If those were unreleased tracks, then those artists should have taken steps (if they cared) to prevent sales of their work.

The point here everyone is missing is: it's not about the tapes - it's the music contained within - even as a gift, no-one except Boards has the right to sell and distribute their music other than the record label themselves. Period. End. Of.

I've come to an arrangement to exchange the 3 tapes for something the buyer can offer which is mutually beneficial to everyone, hopefully. No money changing hands. It is pretty exciting though.

can you tell us what it is? and when you say everyone do you mean you and the buyer or people outside of the arrangement?

And how much did Joyrex pay for them?

I own all three of these tapes myself - why the fuck would I want extras?

Oh, humour. ha.

Hopefully the "mutually beneficial to everyone" is legitimate digital releases of these with perhaps a portion of the proceeds going to the Baby Paradinas Fund™!

I love the examples you cite - was Skinny Puppy's "Back and Forth" officially released, or the tracks contained appeared on other releases? Or Throbbing Gristle? If those were unreleased tracks, then those artists should have taken steps (if they cared) to prevent sales of their work.

The point here everyone is missing is: it's not about the tapes - it's the music contained within - even as a gift, no-one except Boards has the right to sell and distribute their music other than the record label themselves. Period. End. Of.

im assuming your 'love' of my examples are sarcasm, but you also seem to assume that they are very different from the BOC tapes which they are not. Back and Forth was only officially released as hand distributed copies as 'demos' and to friends. Volume 1 by TG was similar. Both were re-issued at a certain point, but they did not include the entirety of the material included on the original tapes.

I still do not understand how even if it was a 'demo' tape why someone who has possession of it (unless they were personal friends with BOc and agreed in some fashion to not distribute them to anyone else) is ethically bound to keep it out of the public sphere.even after reading many of your impassioned posts how it is unethical when compared to any other distribution of a rare or demo tape by any artist given to somebody over a decade ago, the logic doesn't stand up unless in a vacuum where something like this has never happened before in the history of music fandom. Maybe it's just not clear to me, as it seems to be to you how unique of a circumstance this is to be selling a rare tape by an artist that appears on their discography.

edit: why are you so adament about no one having the right to distribute these? were they only sent out with a mutual agreement that the party receiving them would not do this? If so what exactly did the agreement state?

but you also seem to assume that they are very different from the BOC tapes which they are not.

Let's not forget how blinkered this man is. Especially when it comes to BoC.

Archived