IGNORED

Boc Old Tunes 1 + 2 / Boc Maxima / orig Twosim etc

Bambi

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until it becomes available as a BoCset do we have any other choice for unreleased material but to listen to stuff on youtube or find it wherever it may be hidden on the depths of the Internet?

And I will gladly pay BoC for anything they release. That's why I preordered two vinyls of Tomorrow's Harvest, one for each ear... but really: one for a future generation and/or my safekeeping and another for playing when I actually get a record player and will enjoy the digital download that comes with it whenever they release that (probably on release day I'd assume). Don't be too assumptive.

Also *you're not your, I hate these type of grammatical errors their annoying ;)

But I guess given the response you've posted, you don't have their blessing.

tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Also, I'm really not hating. Just inquiring, it's not like BoC is in my social circle I just happen to love everything they put out.

Either way I said it once, I'll say it again: Good luck with sale! Genuinely.

Not hating just inquiring. There's an eagle in my mind, and inquiring minds like to know :D

just curious why on earth would someone needs a band's 'blessing' when selling a tape made by them? it sounds eerily protective on behalf of a couple of guys you do not know in real life.

If you're going to be a douchy opportunist and violate someone else's trust for your own personal profit,

does not understand, is it just that BOC fans are ultra territorial or is there something I've missed in regards to the 'private' nature of what looks like to be a publicly (albeit limited run) distributed cassette tape?

This. It's just a record. It makes me still wonder why these have not leaked in higher quality before.

I would say this is not okay to do unless you have BOC's blessing. And I don't see how you would since if they really wanted to, they'd sell it themselves. If you do, then more power to you. But if not, this is fishy. It would be no different than joyrex selling that unreleased aphex tape. Selling somebody else's music without their permission (them not authorizing it and/or getting a cut) is wrong. Imagine how you guys would feel if you sent a demo to a label and then the owner sold it years later for a large amount of money and didn't even fill you in / ask for permission.

So wait, you've never bought a used record before?

Admittedly, demos and promotional items get sold in the second-hand market all the time. Everyone's only having a cow over this because it's the BoC Sacred Cow, or some such nonsense.

I'm a musician who makes a living off my trade, and it's 100% crystal clear to me that anything I send out to friends, family or fans can and potentially will end up sold on the internet, and out of my control, without me ever seeing a penny from the transaction. And it has happened too - limited things or special one-offs I made for friends get put up for some quick bank when they have bills to pay. There's no hard feelings or surprise there - that's just life for a lot of us.

To imagine that the Sandisons fully expect these things to never ever surface or trade hands with or without money involved (much less, leak on the web for all the desperate people who can't afford an artifact like this) is incredibly naive and unrealistic.

Guest tht tne

The tapes should be put in a museum!!! not in fetishistic collectors hands ........seriously

opening_scene_utah_cross_of_coronado_fed

Guest opothecary

If you're going to be a douchy opportunist and violate someone else's trust for your own personal profit,

does not understand, is it just that BOC fans are ultra territorial or is there something I've missed in regards to the 'private' nature of what looks like to be a publicly (albeit limited run) distributed cassette tape?

But it really wasn't a public release. The Old Tunes stuff seems like it was compiled concurrently with Maxima/Twoism and these tapes were sent to friends/family and a few label reps they were interested in being signed to, and this is where we are today. The fact that they didn't even list these releases on their website circa 1998 even when stuff like Play By Numbers and Hooper Bay were there (including short samples) tells you they never intended these compilations for public consumption. That cat was out of the bag a long time ago, but it doesn't make it right to do this now.

Ultimately, if you are going to go against the band's wishes, do something productive and provide further archival information regarding the stuff we DON'T have (scans of Hooper Bay, etc) the music is too much to hope for, and I hope BoC is smart and they finally decide to bite the bullet and realize there is a market for this material and release it themselves.

Guest tht tne

I would say this is not okay to do unless you have BOC's blessing. And I don't see how you would since if they really wanted to, they'd sell it themselves. If you do, then more power to you. But if not, this is fishy. It would be no different than joyrex selling that unreleased aphex tape. Selling somebody else's music without their permission (them not authorizing it and/or getting a cut) is wrong. Imagine how you guys would feel if you sent a demo to a label and then the owner sold it years later for a large amount of money and didn't even fill you in / ask for permission.

So wait, you've never bought a used record before?

Admittedly, demos and promotional items get sold in the second-hand market all the time. Everyone's only having a cow over this because it's the BoC Sacred Cow, or some such nonsense.

I'm a musician who makes a living off my trade, and it's 100% crystal clear to me that anything I send out to friends, family or fans can and potentially will end up sold on the internet, and out of my control, without me ever seeing a penny from the transaction. And it has happened too - limited things or special one-offs I made for friends get put up for some quick bank when they have bills to pay. There's no hard feelings or surprise there - that's just life for a lot of us.

To imagine that the Sandisons fully expect these things to never ever surface or trade hands with or without money involved (much less, leak on the web for all the desperate people who can't afford an artifact like this) is incredibly naive and unrealistic.

'Enter a new display name', on 03 Dec 2011 - 6:42 PM, said:snapback.png

inb4 Mellow U complaining

The tapes should be put in a museum!!! not in fetishistic collectors hands ........seriously

how about a free download on their website instead? I like the idea of selling them for a good cause

The ethical standards of Indiana Jones and the sillouette of a 20-something Tin Tin. What kind of hot shot hybrid adventurer/archaeologist are you anyway, pyramidpanes?

Guest mehbleh

That's what I thought as well they were just designed for friends and family. And they're insecure about their earlier work, clearly.

That's why they initially denied these tapes were genuine to try to prevent them from being distributed. But then they realized it was futile.

oh, so it was commercially available at one point ? (sorry i know fk all about BoC (i should probably leave (gets hat and heads for the door))).

it has a category number.

So in my mind it's a public release and can change hands whenever the hell someone wants to sell/trade/buy it.

Guest opothecary

oh, so it was commercially available at one point ? (sorry i know fk all about BoC (i should probably leave (gets hat and heads for the door))).

So in my mind it's a public release and can change hands whenever the hell someone wants to sell/trade/buy it.

Do you really think they were being anything more than cheeky when they did that? This was long before MHTRTC, which was wildly successful beyond their expectations.

Guest tht tne

Do you really think they were being anything more than cheeky when they did that? This was long before MHTRTC, which was wildly successful beyond their expectations.

this is kind of a flol, how many copies has mhtr sold worldwide?

Guest opothecary

So the success/influence of a release is directly related to units sold? If so, we should all be listening to Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber.

Guest opothecary

There's certainly a lot of recently subscribed, non-avatar'd angry opinionated folk on here - what's going on ?

I haven't posted here since 2004-2005'ish. I can't be arsed to remember my original login or whatever. My guess is a lot of your "new" people are in the same boat. It's been awhile since this place has been relevant to my interests

There's certainly a lot of recently subscribed, non-avatar'd angry opinionated folk on here - what's going on ?

I think a blanket ban is in order. :emotawesomepm9:

lol jk

In regards to A Few Old Tunes and Boc Maxima, ripping them and putting them on the web is completely fair game... they're well out of print. Someone explain to me why file sharing is even an issue here. It's not like they're at a loss if these are ripped. They've chosen not to reprint or digitally release these cassettes. 10 bucks says they never will.

I completely agree, though I'd metaphorically bet more than that.

Guest tht tne

So the success/influence of a release is directly related to units sold? If so, we should all be listening to Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber.

so you like to put words in people's mouths? if so, maybe i don't give a flying fucking rat's cunt what you listen to.

Guest unteleportedman

I know this has been mentioned before but I feel the need to put it out there again.

What is the big deal with not wanting to make a proper digitization of these rare tapes? It is an artifact that needs to be documented. I don't think it would deter sales of a possible Bocx set or rerelease since most bocians would probably buy newer releases anyways for collection purposes.

I haven't posted here since 2004-2005'ish. I can't be arsed to remember my original login or whatever. My guess is a lot of your "new" people are in the same boat. It's been awhile since this place has been relevant to my interests

in the same holy boat, with a bucket

It's not like BoC ever sold copies of these tapes for profit, they were just demos for family, friends, labels etc. So it's not like they are missing out on some sort of revenue through rixxx selling these. So on that front I don't think the sale of these tapes is really an issue, and I hope the sales go well for rixxx to help generate some cash if that's what's needed.

Someone ripping them though, however great it would be to hear these in full quality, is another matter. I can see how having widely available CD quality rips of these tracks might give people less reason to want to buy a potential re-issue in the future. But tbh, BoC / Warp could interject and stop this auction from happening at any time, and if they don't then they must know there's a possibility of rips being made. And seeing as rixxx has already stated that she won't be making a rip of the tapes, either BoC interject and nothing happens; or BoC don't give a shit and rips potentially go online...

There doesn't seem to be that much to make a fuss about

Guest rezz

great therad

good thread. a+++ im giving it all the good grades, thats right, deans list thred here folks. weve done it, weve really created a narrative masterpiece for the ages. its time to put on our cloaks and head out into the cold dark rain of reality cause guess what, weve finished our work here. we can close the boards. its over. its finally over. thank god. im dead

Archived