IGNORED

Boc Old Tunes 1 + 2 / Boc Maxima / orig Twosim etc

Bambi

Still though, this fuss about a demo from 15+ years ago? That's "slightly" different to a listening party of an about to be released album, right?

no both ways of obeying their wishes is way beyond reason. I record what ever I like even more so if the artist does not even care enough to be physically present and I would sell old promotapes that settle dust on my shelf given to me years ago if it helps my child or just pays me a new synth who cares. boc does not care about mike and his child at all so why should he care about them or their feelings being hurt?

the whole discussion is so lol and comical in a way I can't even tell

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this whole boc tapes discussion' reminds me of this scene in a recent basquiat documentary, where basquiat gave a friend (other half of samo) a painting out of love and his friend immediately sold it, he says he regrets it and acted like 'a total sleazebag' or something along those lines, and regrets it to this day.

although not attributing this to mike & rizzz as they want to start a family (amazing!), & it’s a different situation, but it asks the question that if you have been given something unique & valuable out of love respect, etc should you turn around & sell it?

BOC didn't give Mike P the tape out of love and friendship though. They did it presumably because they wanted him to consider releasing their music on his label (until warp/skam got involved at least)

It's just a music promo. You see these in record store crates all the time and nobody cares.

LOL

The BOC bronies should wonder how many of these precious demo's have been dumped into some trashcan over the years. The thought alone would make their heads explode.

this whole boc tapes discussion' reminds me of this scene in a recent basquiat documentary, where basquiat gave a friend (other half of samo) a painting out of love and his friend immediately sold it, he says he regrets it and acted like 'a total sleazebag' or something along those lines, and regrets it to this day.

although not attributing this to mike & rizzz as they want to start a family (amazing!), & it’s a different situation, but it asks the question that if you have been given something unique & valuable out of love respect, etc should you turn around & sell it?

BOC didn't give Mike P the tape out of love and friendship though. They did it presumably because they wanted him to consider releasing their music on his label (until warp/skam got involved at least)

It's just a music promo. You see these in record store crates all the time and nobody cares.

yeah i realise this stating its a different situation (although others didn't read this!) and should of made that more clear, but was asking the question as a wider one with valuable stuff u are given (art, records, whatever etc not just about the boc tapes but they have taken a different role over time from their original purposes of being a demo)....personally i hate that whole attitude, 'yeah you can get a few bob for that, sell that shit attitude' & wouldn't sell art etc i've been given even if it is really valuable and if i was in financial dire straits

Guest unteleportedman

What I don't understand about all this is that just about everyone has these recordings anyway, don't they?

They've been circulating on the interwebs for years.

Yeah but in shit mp3 quality *sighs*

If all of those who are complaining had the money to buy the tapes this thread wouldn't have turned the way it has

This.

I just hope whoever buys these will make a video of them burning the tapes.

If all of those who are complaining had the money to buy the tapes this thread wouldn't have turned the way it has

its like a shit episode of neighbours

twoism has gone kinda crazy..... you would think they have forgotten boc are doing something live tomorrow?!

on another note if their is any singing on the new boc like there is on all warp realises now a days with guys mumbling who can't sing (why is this?! chris clark ,bibio, tim exile the new mount kimbie, (made to stray is great until it gets fucked with the vocals near the end etc etc) i will jump otta the window into the river and swim with some sea monkeys

twoism has gone kinda crazy..... you would think they have forgotten boc are doing something live tomorrow?!

on another note if their is any singing on the new boc like there is on all warp realises now a days with guys mumbling who can't sing (why is this?! chris clark ,bibio, tim exile the new mount kimbie, (made to stray is great until it gets fucked with the vocals near the end etc etc) i will jump otta the window into the river and swim with some sea monkeys

all warp releases....lol

Man I totally forgot about a brief section of a dream I had a couple of nights ago - I remember looking through the CD booklet of BoC's new album only to find it packed with the lyrics of every song and biog of the guest singer of every track, and thinking 'oh no, they've pulled an Isness on us!'

Man I totally forgot about a brief section of a dream I had a couple of nights ago - I remember looking through the CD booklet of BoC's new album only to find it packed with the lyrics of every song and biog of the guest singer of every track, and thinking 'oh no, they've pulled an Isness on us!'

HA HA , yeah if yr dream comes true i think its a sign for the end days.......

You did not just criticize Bibio..

Ban this person. Now.

You did not just criticize Bibio..

Ban this person. Now.

Wow Joyrex, expected better decorum from yourself in regards to talking about artist's personal lives. As stated before, these are just collecting dust on a shelf we aren't dying for money but why not sell them? There's people out there that want them and as I mentioned before the tracks are in the public domain.

I remember seeing several leaks on this forum from your beloved artists and you were all happy to download them even though they weren't ready for release or they were unwanted in the public domain at that time. Mike wouldn't leak stuff or be ungentlemanly towards his friends, he has these tracks digitally so it's not really necessary for him to have tapes (which are obsolete!). We aren't materialistic about bullshit like this because the music is whats important.

Sorry - I personally think it's just a low/shitty thing to do - and NOT YOUR MUSIC to decide if you want to sell, since these are not commercially released tracks (well, not all of them). BoC owns the copyright to these tracks, and since they are not commercially released, you nor anyone else has the right to distribute, sell, or perform them publicly. You being the co-owner of a record label should know the law.

And you're mis-informed regarding leaks on this forum - despite the (mis)named "Joyrex Tape", I did NOT leak them - at one point, Richard was even considering allowing me to release a few of the tracks, and had no problems with me putting up 30 second snippets for the fans to hear.

And honestly, you're going to pull the "the music is what's important" bullshit, when you are SELLING the fucking things for a quick cash grab to capitalize on BoC's new album release? Give me a break. If it was just about "the music", then pull the fucking auctions, and since you have them digitally, DESTROY the tapes since you have no right to sell them (and hey, they're obsolete - let's smash old Ben Franklin wax cylinders too, since hey, they're obsolete) - I'm sure BoC didn't give out the Old Tunes with the expectation they'd be sold at a handsome profit.

I'm sorry you need money, but capitalizing on the trust, generosity, and friendship of Mike's fellow contemporaries and friends (honestly I have no idea how well you know them) is inexcusable.

DNO50DJ.gif

Nice one chaps. I love this thread so much I printed out a few copies to pad out the seats of my turquoise Pontiac. 10/10.

What I don't understand is who this is hurting exactly? All this internet drama is hysterical. Rixxx, I hope you make serious bank from this, sincerely I mean that. I hope all the people who are willing to pay top dollar for this item do so. I hope it goes towards raising your child, who I hope uses all the collective anguish from BoC fans in the wake of this debacle to grow up strong and mighty, to deliver the second coming of IDM some time in the future. You have my support 100% for what little that counts.

qeX7eWt.gif

Guest feralkittens

I just hope whoever buys these will make a video of them burning the tapes.

I want a higher quality rip of these just as much as any huge fan, but I kind of wish this too. The fetishism of the actual object is what weirds me out the most.

I can understand to an extent the weird protectiveness that BoC fans feel, I feel it a little bit too and I'm not sure why. I wonder if it's partially a fear that stuff like this is going to make them get upset and take their ball away and go home and not play anymore.

On the assumption BoC haven't given permission for this...

Joyrex is right.

watmm rarely shocks with the level of stupidity it achieves, but this thread has managed it.

On the assumption BoC haven't given permission for this...

Joyrex is right.

watmm rarely shocks with the level of stupidity it achieves, but this thread has managed it.

When they dropped those tapes & envelopes into a post box, all those years ago, they pretty much 'gave' their 'permission' then.

Archived