IGNORED

Holden - The Inheritors

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pixelives

If Tomorrow's Harvest is about a post apocalyptic society picking up the pieces. The Inheritors is the sndtrk to the enemy rival tribe.

Guest active galaxies

Two listens in and this could be my favourite record for a long time, great juddering krauty beast that it is.

This would sound awesome live.

Two listens in and this could be my favourite record for a long time, great juddering krauty beast that it is.

This would sound awesome live.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

so far joint album of the year along with bowie.

incredible stuff.

i love how holden's roots in quality trance stuff is so apparent, yet the work is so tasteful and lovely.

This album is really something quite special. It's taken a while for the whole thing to grow on me, but provided I'm in the right mood, it's pretty spectacular.

The Caterpillar's Invention, Renata, The Inheritors, Gone Feral and Blackpool Late 80s are all huge tunes, but then all the smaller, less significant tracks in between add the necessary balance. I'm sure there are a couple of others I really enjoy too. Actually, the first two tracks, of which I forget the names, and the final track.

The only one that I could really do without is Sky Burial.

I've just picked up the Renata 10" too, so looking forward to hearing the Daphni remix in all it's glory.

• 3 weeks later...

This has really grown on me over the last couple of months- it all holds together so well as a complete album too.

On a related note if you enjoyed this check out the just reissued 70's Craig Leon album 'Nommos' makes for a fine double bill with the Holden album.

• 2 weeks later...

The only one that I could really do without is Sky Burial.

Agreed, only track I didn't care for...a little too grating.

Parts of the 1st half remind me of some of tortoise's more electronic stuff...especially alot of the Lazarus Taxon tracks,

Listened to it twice now and still trying to wrap my head around it. It gets LOUD

• 2 months later...

It's all about Inter-City 125

Picked this up about a week ago, but only really listened to it today in earnest. This album is beautiful.

I urge people to pick it up if they haven't already. Not what I was expecting from him at all

• 5 weeks later...

There's an interesting use of the stereo in this album. So far I'm not feeling all the tracks though, some of seem don't hold my attention like others

Guest viscosity

what trumpets are bummbling about on Inter-City 125?? really like the clumsy feel of it. i get the same vibe from tracks like Alberto Balsalm or Palace Posy. anyway, great ablum. bump because more people should hear this

Been recently trawling through some of my old vinyl, and a number of his earlier trance-like productions / remixes stand out as still sounding great.

Such as:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvrivotjZ_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8IkjMO_z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSzZctX6Pc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSPIuL63TFw

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm just listening to this now. I'm on the last track. This album is fucking great.

I've never listened to James Holden before, though I've known his name for a while. I'm sure I've heard some of his tracks on DJ mixes, but never intentionally listened to him. Took notice of the album on a few year-end 2013 lists and decided to check it out. And here I thought I was close to wrapping up my own list - now I gotta keep this in rotation a bit and see if it'll knock something out of my top 10!

Great shit.

Archived