IGNORED

Programming

zlemflolia

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wDwf3Gh.png

Just finished a tube saturator effect. The odd-order harmonics are handled by tanh(x) while Chebyshev polynomials generate even-order ones. Everything is slider-controllable with lots of wiggle room to choose exactly how to color the signal. There's even inlets to modulate the harmonics in real-time! Lots of antialiasing low-passes and 16x oversampling.

It's intended as a basic synth/guitar tube preamp but it really sounds great with my compressor as an added form of nonlinearity, on light settings it generates very nice harmonics on top of the compression, like a lot of the old school analog compressors, 1176, LA-2A etc.

That looks really amazing chim ! Makes me wanna dig into pure data for good. How did you manage to achieve such projects ? Did you just read Pd floss manual and then create things by trial-and-error or did you have more technical background both in music and programming ?

That looks really amazing chim ! Makes me wanna dig into pure data for good. How did you manage to achieve such projects ? Did you just read Pd floss manual and then create things by trial-and-error or did you have more technical background both in music and programming ?

No prior programming experience, just Floss & trial and error. I would add that I'm trying my best to understand some of the heavier math, since it's so empowering to be able to translate a DSP equation directly into PD. For that reason I'm reading a lot of general DSP documentation like http://www.dspguide.com/ . It was pretty easy to make this one actually, since most of the objects were readily available in pd-extended, but I had to go through a lot of reading to figure out exactly what I needed and how to put it together... including a real life tube-amp building manual, hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'll air my grievances here instead of the FWP thread for the time being

After trying to find out for days why my concurrent Java program scales like shit I found out that Java's CyclicBarrier was the culprit - being almost useless past 6-8 threads. Why they chose such a shit implementation of a seemingly simple class as the default for their language I will never know. Fookin ell

• 2 months later...

i developed a taste for programming and now i'm learning python via this course that i almost finished: https://classroom.udacity.com/courses/cs101

gonna try some data science related stuff after i'm done with it.

it's weird how these things work, years ago programming kinda repulsed me due to the MRA element and generally programmers being mostly deeply autistic. but now i just find it super satisfying to solve the course homework problems and such. python is just really neat, very clear and even intuitive syntax for someone with very little programming experience (i do program with stata for all kinds of data manipulation/transposition/merging/cleaning stuff, but it's pretty primitive stuff).

your intuition that it often attracts borderline-autistic often-cunty personalities is correct. I was pretty autistic when I was drawn to study it at uni. you realise, however, that this also applies to why you're now into it, and that you've been missing out the fun and skill-building you could have had all this time had you simply acknowledged your autism sooner.

your intuition that it often attracts borderline-autistic often-cunty personalities is correct. I was pretty autistic when I was drawn to study it at uni. you realise, however, that this also applies to why you're now into it, and that you've been missing out the fun and skill-building you could have had all this time had you simply acknowledged your autism sooner.

Some of my favorite personalities in the programming world (e.g. Mattias Petter Johansson, David Nolen) came to programming from other fields like theatre or video production. In my experience, a lot of the run-of-the-mill code douches never worked a different kind of job and thumb their nose at other occupations because all they really know is code.

it's weird how these things work, years ago programming kinda repulsed me due to the MRA element and generally programmers being mostly deeply autistic. 

you seem like a pretty judgmental person.  disregarding whether there is anything wrong with MRA, what does MRA have to do with programming at all?  and why do you hate autistic people?  I assure you there is no MRA element to programming at all, especially considering every major programming company is hyper-PC and liberal.  this isn't even a controversial statement to make.

I think most normal people become developers because they want to make boat loads of money.

I don't think it has much to do with their mental health.

Guest Ovitus

Been studying Linux for the past year or so. There's some basic bash scripting involved with that so I can automate monotonous tasks in my life.

Other then that I've gotten into a bit of Supercollider, especially patterns and the use of pbinds. I see some really good creative potential here with generative sequencing and some particular soft synths. Will definitely be investing my time experimenting with this when I've accomplished the above.

I’m kind of sick of programming.

I’ve had some niche success in the iOS / macOS App Stores, I’ve spent years diving into lower level stuffs, all together been working on code stuff for 10 years now, 8 years professionally / seriously.

But it’s just not fun anymore. Writing code..

“ugh, do I really have to type this shit into this file”

“oh noes, a thing doesn’t work, do i really care enough to fix it?” — the most common thoughts that come up..

It’s major capital TEEEEEDIOUS.

And yeh all these startups can fucking suck it. All they produce is useless shit. I don’t like the sort of tech bro people who work there either.

I still do enjoy some CLI tool stuff and writing simple nodejs apps is fun as well tho.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(edit timeout)

And, it does make me feel unwell. I get twitchy / irritable. Some days inside some code problem? Yeah I’ll have forgotten about how to not be a cunt to people nearby. Little human behavior things like someone making some noise or whatever become MASSIVE annoyances and I’ll show my disapproval.. but only when in code world.

computers suck.

Learned C and currently learning a smattering of javascript, css and python. Not proficient in coding but it's been a huge advantage in being literate in code and being able to tell what a function does under the hood of my other software.

Most complex thing I ever written in C was an additive synthesizer that read a score script. I spent far more time in the debugger than in the actual program.

writing simple nodejs apps is fun as well tho.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is why you don't like coding.

Javascript is the worst thing that's ever happened to computers. Lambda's all the way down swinging on the spirals. Hack upon hack to make a one trick hashmap pony a many trick lambda bologna sandwich. Might want to try a language built for developer happiness for your simple fun apps like Ruby or Python.

No, posts like yours are one of the reasons I don’t like programming. (Im guilty of this shit as well but eh)

I’ve tried Python and sometimes use it for basic scripts but I cannot use a language which doesn’t let you type inline anonymous lambdas.. it’s surprising that Python doesn’t have this! JavaScript has it and I like it. 8 years of Objective-C (that feature is called blocks there), can’t go back to a backwards language which doesn’t have it.

Also Python fucking sucks as soon as you want to give your damn script thing to someone else.

or in other words: Python, I’ve tried it, but it did not make me happy.

Setting up some environment stuff took like 3 hours of on my fucking Mac, and then another half day on some windows box I HATE THIS

This is why you don't like coding.

Javascript is the worst thing that's ever happened to computers. Lambda's all the way down swinging on the spirals. Hack upon hack to make a one trick hashmap pony a many trick lambda bologna sandwich. Might want to try a language built for developer happiness for your simple fun apps like Ruby or Python.

No, posts like yours are one of the reasons I don’t like programming. (Im guilty of this shit as well but eh)

... I cannot use a language which doesn’t let you type inline anonymous lambdas.. it’s surprising that Python doesn’t have this! JavaScript has it and I like it.

Wait, do you seriously not like lambdas?

Team phling for sure. Python deserves more shit flung at it than JS any day of the week.

Over two years later and I still haven't made much progress. I feel like software development is something that you have to concentrate on all of the time in order to get any good at it.

Over two years later and I still haven't made much progress. I feel like software development is something that you have to concentrate on all of the time in order to get any good at it.

Yeah, I'm finding this to be true.

I've started and abandoned javascript programming several times now and keep forgetting what I knew when I come back to it. Having said that though, I'm putting it to practical use now by automating several repetitive tasks I do all the time at work (using scripts in Indesign/Illustrator/etc), so that's helping me to learn.. as well as learning Processing so I can get into making my own visuals, and after that hoping to move on to JUCE or some similar environment so I can start making VSTs or little audio/MIDI processing apps. Anyway, my goal is to keep it up at 5-6 hours a week, hopefully more, while I have the free time at work—which is increasing due to the Illustrator and Indesign scripts I've been writing, lol.

Archived