IGNORED

Programming

zlemflolia

Yeah. The reason why math is feared and shit is because teachers tend to make them look harder and people in general are lazy fucks.

It's pretty cool when you understand some concepts and you could even see the whole universe in a new way.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RadarJammer

Lots of people have trouble with it though. For people who like programming and end up doing it for fun, yeah it's trivial shit

But take some random person off the streets who's never programmed before and try to teach them logic, even extremely basic shit like De Morgan's law and set theory notation will look like nuclear physics to them. It's a whole different world for most people and it can't be taught in 20 minutes.

That's because almost all non-mathematical people have spectacularly flawed assessments of (i) the difficulty of math and (ii) their ability to learn math. It's incredible, I'm not a musician but I don't pretend to be a retard about music around musicians either. But most random people on the street are like that about math.

If a person off the street wants to learn de morgans laws, and doesn't play stupid, it will take him/her 30 seconds.

i'm still on gradeschool math blocks. my mind will rip into a visual subject and learn it inside out but they gave us blocks (oh joy i comprehend math, and its relationship to the world) then they take the blocks away and I sink into neural dissonance. if they just put me to the side and let me learn math from blocks then math probably would have found a lock'n'step with my general o.c.d. framework.

30 seconds my ass. maybe a time travel machine so i can slap my teacher in the face. I have all the signs of someone who could have gone the math way of life (counting steps, skipping every other crack or more complex patterns i played games with) but my math bucket is almost fully broken so i got my ocd math scraps.

Teachers sucked? Join the club. All you have to do is start from scratch, go back in time to the math that you understand totally intuitively and work from there.

"De Morgans laws" which are almost devoid of content, have a visual interpretation, imagine Venn diagrams with the left circle shaded, and another with the right one shaded. superimpose them. the unshaded region is the parts that were unshaded on both individual diagrams. now imagine a Venn diagram with just the intersection shaded. then the unshaded region is the parts that were unshaded on at least one of the individual diagrams. 30 seconds

Guest disparaissant

apparently, learning programming has taken a backseat to learning ukulele. thanks for all the helps. hopefully i get bored of ukulele soon and get back to learning to program shit.

Guest RadarJammer

Teachers sucked? Join the club. All you have to do is start from scratch, go back in time to the math that you understand totally intuitively and work from there.

"De Morgans laws" which are almost devoid of content, have a visual interpretation, imagine Venn diagrams with the left circle shaded, and another with the right one shaded. superimpose them. the unshaded region is the parts that were unshaded on both individual diagrams. now imagine a Venn diagram with just the intersection shaded. then the unshaded region is the parts that were unshaded on at least one of the individual diagrams. 30 seconds

the point is, it shouldn't really matter how you pack the info into a child, as he grows he will find his own unique ways to unpack it. because everyone has different brains and some people have wildly different brains though you might just think they are stupid. you could come up with lots of excuse to avoid learning a new trick when your getting past prime but pushing through that brick wall will probably add years to your life (neurologically speaking).

i can learn the principle of the universe in 30 seconds. it doesn't do me any good in practical terms. show me a learning process that will take me from a to z in 30 seconds and i'll get down on my hands and knees and cut my heart out for ya!

dunno lol

if you can convince someone in 30 seconds that she's not too stupid for programmering, fine.

but programmering isn't easy is it. it's hard and it keeps getting harder the better you are it, because you'll always spend most of the time falling off the edge of what you feel comfortable with, and the void only keeps getting deeper & deeper & derper.

Some people really can't do programming though. A bunch of people take a class and think it's super hard and never get it. Of course, for many of them it's just a lack of effort, and for others it's just that they're just not thinking about it right and need to actually learn to think differently, as opposed to just thinking about it really hard.

Object oriented programming takes a while to understand for most people, but once you finally get it it's like a revelation straight from heaven.

^ yeah funny that, object oriented...

it certainly was a revelation to me, and then I thought it's the only way... but then I learned that you can do everything with plain C as well and this put things in perspective. the more I use it, the more I like C, it's kinda... honest.

and Java can fuck right off. I learned OOP with it and looking back at it it's just lol and wrong.

Guest RadarJammer

^ yeah funny that, object oriented...

it certainly was a revelation to me, and then I thought it's the only way... but then I learned that you can do everything with plain C as well and this put things in perspective. the more I use it, the more I like C, it's kinda... honest.

and Java can fuck right off. I learned OOP with it and looking back at it it's just lol and wrong.

i solved the math to make a decent noise gate while in the shower, using reaktor core modules in my mind, and my solution worked. that was definitely a revelation for me.

Also teaching myself objective c/cocoa now, coming from a java background. The differences are pretty interesting, and I think the more verbose style of messaging is pretty cool... I appreciate that. It's also really cool to approach a new language, having already learned a different one... Its nice to quickly understand stuff/see the parallels etc.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

not sure if this compiles

you can use the dot operator for any instance methods which take no args, but doing this is kinda dirty because dots are actually for properties, and this practise makes no-args methods look like properties. it's an antipattern.

but actually dot operators for properties are also kinda whack because it looks exactly the same for C structs.

so this fails, without warning, it just does nothing:

self.frame.origin.x = 666;  // self is an object, frame is a struct. this code will copy self's frame to the stack and modify the copy instead of self's actual frame property  

in other words what it does is:

CGRect frame = self.frame;  // copy the property frame of type CGRect to the stack.
frame.origin.x = 666; // modify the copy

what it should be clever enough to do but doesn't:

CGRect frame = self.frame // copy the property.
frame.origin.x = 666; // modify the copy
self.frame = frame; // set this modified frame as the property

^ the above only goes wrong with structs though, works fine with objects. the problem is that object properties and struct members look exactly the same.

so you have to be aware of what is what.

Guest deferlow

I'm big into Max for Live. Graphical programming is good times. Never done any straight coding, though. I'd love to know js as it's integrated into Max. And making my own objects in C would be pretty dope too.

Guest fiznuthian

I'm testing the waters with vi / vim.. Someone please reassure me this editor is worth it.

I've progressed barely beyond simple configuration and changing my color scheme. It's already a

bit overwhelming.

Archived