IGNORED

Tomorrow's Harvest Analysis Thread

Hoodie

Re: BoC and population stuff. Whether the bro's are worried about "Population Bomb" demographic problems or the "What to Expect When Noone's Expecting" demographic problems (which, IMHO, is more real and more in line with the "abandoned places" and new birth theme in the album)

Has anyone mentioned that "Split Your Infinitives" is a grammar reference, not a mathematical one? There's a bunch of linguistic stuff going on in this album, track titles in other languages, the whole Cosecha business etc

it's split your infinities, not your infinitives.

Ha! Shit, you're right. I take it back...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait, what? I mentioned it was a play on Split your Infinitives when the tracklist was first released. Why does the fact that it's titled Split your Infinities mean it cannot be a pun on Split Infinitives? I think it's all of the following: a pun, a play at using psychoactive drugs, and a hint at alternate timelines

Guest VECTRON

Re: BoC and population stuff. Whether the bro's are worried about "Population Bomb" demographic problems or the "What to Expect When Noone's Expecting" demographic problems (which, IMHO, is more real and more in line with the "abandoned places" and new birth theme in the album)

i dont think its really about population or if it is i think its more like Population Bomb than No One's Expecting, cos they reference James Kunstler and Dmitry Orlov in an interview and they write about peak oil etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Emergency

people like that are more worried about high population than low population

we could do with a good proper culling though. you would think that in developed countries where many people could afford larger families they'd

be breeding like rabbits, but it's the opposite. why is that?

it's because women want to be more than just baby factories. Weird, I know.

there is a very clear correlation between education of women, and drop in the birth rate. The best way to reduce population is to educate women in the 3rd world.

we could do with a good proper culling though. you would think that in developed countries where many people could afford larger families they'd

be breeding like rabbits, but it's the opposite. why is that?

Read What to Expect when No-one's Expecting. I'm disappointed that they buy into the Population Bomb/Peak Oil stuff, both of which have been debunked. At current rates World population peaks in the next 40 years or so and then drops. And when populations contract, bad shit happens. Always.

there is a very clear correlation between education of women, and drop in the birth rate. The best way to reduce population is to educate women in the 3rd world.

Genocide would be the quicker way, but I don't recommend it. The third world is the only place population is growing, for the most part.

What to Expect when No-one's Expecting. - interesting read

Genocide would be the quicker way, but I don't recommend it. The third world is the only place population is growing, for the most part.

Seems its exploding in the wrong places where it can't be sustained/supported.

Then again importing labour from the third world is giving the offspring from third world a chance in developed parts, which

in turn contributes to continued development, where otherwise it could be doomed to collapse as we are seeing in China.

its like a merry go round, for the moment

What to Expect when No-one's Expecting. - interesting read

Seems its exploding in the wrong places where it can't be sustained/supported.

Then again importing labour from the third world is giving the offspring from third world a chance in developed parts, which

in turn contributes to continued development, where otherwise it could be doomed to collapse as we are seeing in China.

its like a merry go round, for the moment

except that, at least here in the US, immigrants take on the fertility habits of their new-found country-mates remarkably fast. "Off-the-boat" folks are as fertile as they were in the old country, but their children are as American as Not Being Mom and Apple Pie. Overpopulation in one are is not necessarily bad, as you said it motivated the move to more developed and wealthy parts of the world, which is good for those who migrate. Have you read "What to Expect"? I thought it was very well written and researched, which is no surprise. Jonathan Last is really on the ball.

On a vaguely related note, I always thought BoC were self aware enough to realize that the little girl in "Energy Warning:" who frets about there not being enough energy to go around when she's a parent is plenty old enough now to be a parent and there's no energy crisis. Heck, there's more accessible oil and natural gas now than ever before.

That energy is accessible because we're going to extreme lengths to get to it - like cutting off entire mountain-tops, mining oil shale reserves, and pulling methane out of coastal ice sheets, among other massively destructive tactics that have been tried. I'm not sure if you were trying to spin that in a positive light, but there aren't many nice things to be said about it. The availability of those resources is a testament to developed nations' reluctance to change our over-consumption.

That energy is accessible because we're going to extreme lengths to get to it - like cutting off entire mountain-tops, mining oil shale reserves, and pulling methane out of coastal ice sheets, among other massively destructive tactics that have been tried. I'm not sure if you were trying to spin that in a positive light, but there aren't many nice things to be said about it. The availability of those resources is a testament to developed nations' reluctance to change our over-consumption.

They girl said there might not be energy but there is, and there is more.

The spin was that peak oil theory is silly. It's all basic economics. We go to greater lengths to get energy, and discover more, because we can. you call it over consumption, but the truth is that so called sustainable renewable energy will become current at precisely the time when the carbon-based way of doing things becomes economically unsustainable. Supply and demand. We should be thankful we don't have to rely on crappy solar panels with their ecologically unsound heavy metals and shitty output or bird-killing windmills.

In an alternate universe someone just won the Nobel Prize for finding a use for the messy, toxic sludge people find when they dig deep wells.

If anyone wants to live in the middle ages they're welcome to it. I'll take modern life with all it's drawbacks and unfortunate side-effects because I have no choice, and because the times I live in, while difficult, are likely to be far worse for my children and theirs.

If you want to explain to me (in PM, so this thread can carry on) how our current fossil-fuel use is "economically sustainable," I'm sure it'd be at least interesting to hear the justification. Your idea that solar panels (silicon and 3-5 semiconducting materials) are "ecologically unsound heavy metals" (remember what we're comparing it to) is definitely a lol, and if you had kept reading the 'windmills kill birds' articles past the first few sensational stories that cropped up, you probly woulda caught that windmills killing birds is an extremely mild threat compared to, oh, I dunno, the number of birds that smack into windshields every day. The reason solar panels are not more widely used right now is not simply supply-and-demand, it is deeply tied to politics and the current big players in the market (Why does GE buy solar and biofuel startups and stop development on their research?)

*stops here and hands thread back to boc*

Well, fox. Enjoy fracking and all the fantastic oil and neurological symptoms from your drinking water. At least it's not the dark ages or some lame-ass windmill.

I'll let BoC have this thread back, but the anti-fracking propaganda and the idea that the reason solar panels are unpopular is because GE (which is in bed with a very pro-environment US administration) is killing start-ups are laughable.

I'm out.

Let's let this thread be all BoC from here on out.

Guest VECTRON

Read What to Expect when No-one's Expecting. I'm disappointed that they buy into the Population Bomb/Peak Oil stuff, both of which have been debunked. At current rates World population peaks in the next 40 years or so and then drops. And when populations contract, bad shit happens. Always.

but population cant keep growing forever its imposible. so we should get used to it contracting and be ready for it

it could keep growing if we move into SPACE though

i hope that happens

lol boc

• 1 month later...
Guest Qvarcos

Just pointing that of that this album feels like BoC's version of Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero the theme is very similar. But this one doesn't have a political meaning, it's more spiritual sounding.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've hung around the Alameda naval base where the album cover photo was taken, and I've taken similar pictures of the SF cityscape from there. [also this place has some nice abandoned factories, making it even more IDM]

I grew up in the socal desert, so the Reach for the Dead video really hit home. Some of those shots also reminded me very much of pictures I've taken. Plus the sound of the album is real desertlike, all hazy and desolate. I love this aesthetic.

Also my birthday is June 12th, day after the release date.

Noticing all of these personal coincidences has been... spooky.

Archived