Tomorrow's Harvest Analysis Thread

Hoodie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wikipedia lists some of the inspiration for TH as:

Several film soundtrack composers influenced Tomorrow's Harvest's sound. Boards of Canada listed John Carpenter, Fabio Frizzi, John Harrisonand Mark Isham, as well as "grim 70s and 80s movie soundtrack" composers, such as Stefano Mainetti, Riz Ortolani, Paul Giovanni and Wendy Carlos.

Has anyone gone hunting for examples of particular pieces which might share a vibe or seem to relate? Sorry if someone is discussing this already somewhere, and perhaps point me there if that's the case. Cheers.

The opening track from the Day Of The Dead (a John Harrison soundtrack) is very White Cyclosa-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwHQltabnxU

Someone indeed pointed it out in one of the other threads, that's how I know, but I can't find the original posts right now.

Oh here you go: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/79064-white-cyclosa/

• 6 years later...

This feels like something entirely different from the rest of their catalog, and it is my favorite release of theirs - which is not a light statement, as they are second to none. The Campfire Headphase was an odd side-step, and really seems like they were sort of imitating themselves. I like it, but it seems to run parallel to the other LPs, not part of the progression, or the narrative if you like. They finally connected the dots on this release, and were foretelling our current reality. It is also paired with the mysteries of The Island on Lost, in my mind. If they don't release anything else, I'm fine with that, as this is the perfect bookend to one of the most interesting groups ever.

I feel like more and more I don’t understand the dissatisfaction people bring up for Campfire Headphase, especially stating it after TH

to be fair, when TCH came out, I was initially underwhelmed. But as time went on I grew to enjoy it (though still less than MHTRTC and Geogaddi) 

but when TH came out, it seemed like the parts I was less enthusiastic about THC were more magnified. And I now viewed TCH as lush and full of rich production. 

There are still songs on TH that I absolutely love. But more and more the response I see to TCH seems to play into the cliche that people just hate it because “guitars”. (I know this is a big oversimplification, and many have nagtive opinions for other reasons... but I’m just saying how it seems from where I am) 

Tomorrow's Harvest & Geogaddi are a cut above the other two albums IMO. They also seem vaguely similar thematically, and a bit more calculated, or conceptual, if you will than the other two.

Still think they should unleash the bocsettes, that stuff is magical and the time seems right with the current cassette resurgence.

Archived