IGNORED

tomorrows harvest cover art

jules

so I wasn't digging it at all upon first reveal. mainly because of the layout, with the bold type all the way at the top and the skyline all the way at the bottom, your eye is drawn to the blank space in the middle but it feels awkward. I like the rftd art infinitely more.

but now having heard it several times, not only do I still not like it, i don't think it fits the music really. it feels so separate than any of the art from the art cards, the video teasers, the rftd video, etc. it just doesn't feel right to me (yet?)

anyone else?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont like it but its not affecting my opinion on the music. They should have used a picture of a cornfield or something like that.

Geogaddi still their best album cover (and best album!) in my opinion.

it's not affecting my enjoyment in least. the album feels very conceptual and the cover art seems disconnected to me from everything else.

agreed about geogaddi. inside and out.

Haven't heard the whole album yet, but insofar as what I've read, I would have to disagree about Geogaddi's cover art. TH has an encompassing theme that seems to permeate the whole of the project, and the tones of what I have heard express an emptiness I haven't noticed in their previous releases. Geogaddi made me feel isolated and alone, trapped in my own head, whereas TCH made me feel like I was part of something. Having a running theme of what we as the human race would leave behind seems quite fitting to show a city, the ultimate human construct of society, with no people in it.

I don't usually get all wrapped up in the concept of BoC's albums (which I think lots of people like to create for themselves) but this one makes me want to read all of those books they recommended in the recent interview and shit myself while I think of biological warfare spreading botulism and smallpox all over the place like 15 years from now.

I wasn't really sure of the significance of the cover until they pointed out that the city is transparent. I was like "Duh, how did I not see that?" It kind of seals the deal.

Guest Ando

Did anyone notice how they said that it's the ghost of a city (it's transparent, not faded from atmospheric perspective) in that interview? I feel like knowing that single detail really enhances things. The city isn't actually there.

Well I mean San Francisco obviously exists but that's the idea rather

I wasn't really sure of the significance of the cover until they pointed out that the city is transparent. I was like "Duh, how did I not see that?" It kind of seals the deal.

Guest feralkittens

I was wondering about the hills you could see through the city but I thought it might have been fata morgana. My friend took a cool pic of SF once that had a similar mirage. I like the album art a lot. It looks like a movie poster. I'd really like a poster of it of my own.

Guest dylanmcknd

Maybe on a basic theme level the cover fits, but it doesn't fit with the music very well, imo.

I love the cover artwork now (front and back), although my first impression all those weeks ago was that it must've taken all of a few minutes to come up with. The inner sleeve art is also very evocative for me. The photo of a militaristic looking boot makes me think of Area 51 somehow. And that image of two vague figures in the distance is a little sinister. I'd love a slideshow of these photographs to screen while playing the album.

Oh fuck, I've gone all fanboy.

Guest feralkittens

Whoa I was JUST this very second thinking of putting together a slideshow for this album. I just bought a crap ton of slide film for my holga.

Guest Araungzeb

I have to disagree, it took a while to grow on me but this is now probably my favorite BOC coverart (with the exception of TCHp). This by far has the most clever symbolism I have ever seen on an album cover, and it doesn't feel forced at all.

- The burst of light is perfectly positioned and sized so that it could easily either be a sunrise ("New Seeds"), a sunset ("Sundown"), or an atomic flash (which would explain the apocalyptic themes). All three interpretations fit perfectly with the theme of the album, and the band probably meant for us to see it as all at once.

- As people have mentioned, the tansparency of the skyline adds an extra level of eeriness to the scene: It's someone's memory of the world that was juxtaposed over the barren, overgrown, post-apocalyptic landscape. Which apparantly is an abandonded Cold War-era air base...

- In terms of having the text far above the barren and somewhat empty landscape, the first thing I thought of when I first saw the cover was a movie poster. Out of any album BOC has ever done, the way the tracks are thematically connected and laid out (especially with Gemeni at the beginning), this is the one that clearly sounds like a soundtrack to a movie that doesn't exist. I guarantee that they were going for a movie poster look here, especially after that interview they gave to the guardian.

me not like it either, the back cover looks well though. perhaps its all to be reversed, they just gave it to us arse ways.

some are on about this thing to be played, 1,17,2,16 and so on, i tried it for the fun of it, its ok

the content of the cover is cool and I get the movie title placement, I just struggle with the blankness in the center from a layout standpoint.

I'm sure ill like it over time as I thought the tch art was just a retread but am ok with it now.

I do wish the interior images matched the cover better. he'll even if they used the rounded square border on the cover, it would tie in better from a design standpoint.

just being nitpicky I guess.

Guest disoriental express

I think it fits the music very well. It's like the opening shot of the film.

What kind of image would fit better to your mind?

I like it. The record store I bought it from had a giant version of it hanging in the window and I must say it looked pretty iconic. Maybe I'm biased because I've seen it a lot though.

I work on Cisco documentation and they used to have a casual looking businessman as their front cover picture for all docs... starting this year they have the San Fran skyline with a rising sun... how freaky is that....??

Here's the old and the new......->

1_zpsa004a607.jpg

2_zps6d03c05f.jpg

Now excuse me while i get fired

I work on Cisco documentation and they used to have a casual looking businessman as their front cover picture for all docs... starting this year they have the San Fran skyline with a rising sun... how freaky is that....??

Here's the old and the new......->

1_zpsa004a607.jpg

2_zps6d03c05f.jpg

Now excuse me while i get fired

yea thats... really freaky?

:cerious:

you're fired from here too btw

Archived