IGNORED

new BoC interview (New York Times)

Guest wza

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name

Am I wrong or did they mix up the brothers in the picture description?

"A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really,"

lolool

that is a supermassive lol

Guest Gravity

"A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really,"

lolool

that is a supermassive lol

Same reaction here, fucking hell lol. Someone go and break into Hexagon Sun already.

Nice interview. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this is a sign that we'll get a few more of these things. Given their aversion to public attention, I half expected no interviews this time around. I mean, it's not like they have to worry about selling more records, right? Well, in any case, I hope there's more, because I'd like to see an interviewer ask them good questions for once, and I'd like to read their responses.

Guest isaki

EOIN I think the digital world suffers from being just so literal, so deliberate and sober. As with digital photography, people have gotten used to applying simulated filters onto their pictures just to inject a bit of romance into the thing, because the raw pictures are so flat. But in the analog realm these beautiful things just happen by themselves without your conscious effort. You could say the wobbles and flutters in our music are equivalent to something like weeds overgrowing an old building. Nobody puts the weeds there, but nature comes along and makes the scene very tragic and beautiful.

like this reply

good interview

Guest Papillon

Good interview thanks for posting. Is it just me or did the comment about thousands of tracks, several albums etc. remind you of anyone else on the WATMM forum? I don't what it is about BOC but I get the impression they're a little bit self-rightous without even really being conscious of it, one interview for North America and one for the UK, and it has to be done by email. They're just two regular guys who still take a shit and wipe their own ass just like everyone else...

But good tunes though.

Guest RadarJammer

Good interview thanks for posting. Is it just me or did the comment about thousands of tracks, several albums etc. remind you of anyone else on the WATMM forum? I don't what it is about BOC but I get the impression they're a little bit self-rightous without even really being conscious of it, one interview for North America and one for the UK, and it has to be done by email. They're just two regular guys who still take a shit and wipe their own ass just like everyone else...

But good tunes though.

these BoC interviews read like "blah blah blah blah blah"

bunch of words but not saying anything

they seem to be lacking a credible personality

Guest Papillon

Yeah I guess so Jules. I kind of wish that wasn't the case though since their music is so enjoyable. Maybe if they were a little more prolific (commercially) the music would suffer?

One of my buds (not on WATMM) commented that he was satisfied now and that BOC could disappear. I'm not sure if I share that belief personally I rather see them struggle through many more records hopefully more frequently going forward.

their mystery is a huge part of what they sound like for sure. I've drawn parallels to tool with them and the anti public persona sometimes gets more hype than being upfront.

Nice interview, thanks for link

MIKE SANDISON We spent some time overseas and then we were busy expanding our studio space back here in Scotland. A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time. We’ve been working on new music all the time throughout this, so we have a lot of material to wade through.

Q. Did listening to your earlier recordings feed into the newer music?

SANDISON We kept surprising ourselves, finding old things we’d completely forgotten about. We have cases full of tapes. The thing I notice about the really early stuff is how empty and abstract a lot of it is, so that reminded me of my love for a kind of “distance” in the music.

I like to imagine he's trolling alzado/watmm with this

But good tunes though.

I got this feeling around the time of TCH, too. The sad thing about celebrity is even if you end up trying to avoid it, you can never escape it entirely. All it takes is one phone call from a warp rep "so many people are waiting for your next album!", or stumbling across one web article, to infect your thinking with a sense of what "the public" or "your fanbase" wants. Must be tough. On the other hand, knowing people are salivating for your next release must be inspiring at times, as well.

It's probably a bit impossible for them to recapture their earlier, more playful mindset, like the John Peel interview where they seem free and casual, and talk about going down to the pub, although thankfully that part of themselves still pops up on their records sometimes (I think Palace Posy is pretty playful).

The do seem slightly self-important, although the alternative is to be even more clipped, as ae sometimes is.

The part about the 1000's of recordings is just pure lol fanbait, fucking hilarious.

I often wonder, given the quality of the live tracks they have never released, how similar BoC's sense of "a good track" is to their fanbase's. I have a suspicion that they may have left out some great tracks that we would have preferred to include, just look at Macquarie Ridge which was tacked on as almost an afterthought, but one of the best tracks on TCH.

Why is it that no-one has ever asked them about drug use? It's a subject I'm certainly curious about, but often interviewers are just too proper. I guess maybe they think they wouldn't get an honest response. I wonder if they are as much weed fiends as ae seem to be, lol.

yea like they're gonna say, dude, we smoked so much fucking dope making dis bruh.

they were obviously going for a full album experience here. I'm sure there will be an ep with tracks that didn't fit here and they will be awesome as well.

I hope im not too far out of place for making this comment, but based on the track titles, the nihilism comment in the previous interview, and the talk of traveling around, I cant shake the feeling that there was a death in the family or something. As brothers and bandmates, making music would probably be a big part of their grieving process. Combining it with the business side of things could be weird for them. There just seems to be a bit more sorrow involved with this album than their others.

Guest Papillon

But good tunes though.

I got this feeling around the time of TCH, too. The sad thing about celebrity is even if you end up trying to avoid it, you can never escape it entirely. All it takes is one phone call from a warp rep "so many people are waiting for your next album!", or stumbling across one web article, to infect your thinking with a sense of what "the public" or "your fanbase" wants. Must be tough. On the other hand, knowing people are salivating for your next release must be inspiring at times, as well.

It's probably a bit impossible for them to recapture their earlier, more playful mindset, like the John Peel interview where they seem free and casual, and talk about going down to the pub, although thankfully that part of themselves still pops up on their records sometimes (I think Palace Posy is pretty playful).

The do seem slightly self-important, although the alternative is to be even more clipped, as ae sometimes is.

The part about the 1000's of recordings is just pure lol fanbait, fucking hilarious.

I often wonder, given the quality of the live tracks they have never released, how similar BoC's sense of "a good track" is to their fanbase's. I have a suspicion that they may have left out some great tracks that we would have preferred to include, just look at Macquarie Ridge which was tacked on as almost an afterthought, but one of the best tracks on TCH.

Why is it that no-one has ever asked them about drug use? It's a subject I'm certainly curious about, but often interviewers are just too proper. I guess maybe they think they wouldn't get an honest response. I wonder if they are as much weed fiends as ae seem to be, lol.

Good post, I sometimes wonder about how they see their music compared to how fans hear it too...I guess it's all part of an image they've been tagged with as Jules pointed out. They've kind of helped to perpetuate that image through the press photos and interviews. The one guy always looks ticked off in his pictures, it almost comical in a way - everyone is tough until they get punched in the face.

I wondered about the substances too but you're right I bet no interviewer would ever ask.

That's the thing I like about RDJ though, through all the midleading information etc. I still get the impression he is a super cool guy.

thing I don't understand about boc is that i had the impression that they always kind of shunned the mystery and kind of laughed at the microscope fans put on the details of their music. yet this time out was almost overplaying all the mystery and then flat out saying how much subliminal stuff is in this one.

either way, i still adore them.

I'm guessing at some point Warp mentioned how the whole mystery thing actually moves a ton of units. :-)

But they've always talked out of both sides of their mouth on that one. It's clear like rdj that they actually love cultivating mystery, so every time they complain I think "thou dost protest too much." It's quite disingenuous.

I think the only idm guys who truly don't seem to give a fuck are ae and I LOVE them for it. Sean will pick his nose, or they'll be totally baked, or they'll let out a photo of themselves playfully kicking snow at the camera. From day one they have seemed to realize it's ALL about the music, and I will always love them for that. I think they are the most humble, and most durable, of the top tier IDM acts. Long may they reign.

For a while I hoped Boards might be with them, but they can be quite fussy and twee (and of course the long absences are annoying).

Also, who in their right minds says they are curating a bunch of their unreleased tracks for their children?? Barf. That sounds like they value their shit way too highly, as if it's some sort of sonic legacy to bequeath to their descendants. Fucking lol, stop being so self-important, BoC. If you don't want to release it, fine.

ae have cultivated that by releasing quality after quality at the most prolific of levels. they are like clockwork. I can't think of any artist (maybe Zappa) that has a long list if insanely good releases. very few artists have that luxury.

boc are two seemingly very normal guys with a reputation almost impossible to live up to. I don't think they wanted to be away for 8 years. some shit obviously happened.

I don't think they are going away anytime soon.

Also, who in their right minds says they are curating a bunch of their unreleased tracks for their children?? Barf. That sounds like they value their shit way too highly, as if it's some sort of sonic legacy to bequeath to their descendants. Fucking lol, stop being so self-important, BoC. If you don't want to release it, fine.

I've saved some of my art for my kid already.

you really have an agenda in this sub forum lately lumpy. it's very unlumpy!

I don't have an agenda...maybe too much time on my hands though. It doesn't strike you as weird they would mention all this old unreleased stuff - without prompting, by the way - and then say they will leave it for their children. I dunno, seems weird to me. But whatevs, I'll chill.

Archived