IGNORED

new BoC interview (New York Times)

Guest wza

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have an agenda...maybe too much time on my hands though. It doesn't strike you as weird they would mention all this old unreleased stuff - without prompting, by the way - and then say they will leave it for their children. I dunno, seems weird to me. But whatevs, I'll chill.

haha no dude, express your opinion, that's why we are here!

I think they said that as a bit of a troll. they know how bad people want some old stuff. I'm sure the thought of a boc set has crossed their minds more than once.

who knows. they are a little more open in recent interviews. they've mentioned they have gathered some old stuff and also mentioned they were jamming in their rehearsal space.

there is obviously more to come.

and also, I'm still sticking to my boc/ae tour half joke...

If you look back in old interviews though, they often say how they are gonna make a movie, or go live again, or whatever. And yet, they never do it. They have a noble legacy of making statements they never follow through on, lol. Maybe it's the weed talking :-)

honestly, I think they are just very protective of their image. everything they do is very well thought out and calculated.

I'm glad they don't want to hunch over and press buttons on a 50 show world tour. god knows I'd have a hard time saying no to that money if i were in their shoes. they are very respectable artists and they will not compromise. I find that very satisfying.

[edit: at Jules] agree with you on the last point, 100% (though, to be devil's advocate, I would be very curious to ask them why they added Dayvan Cowboy and the remix on the ep. Also the amount of sub-licensing they've done of their tracks, for adverts and Top Gear etc, also seems to be a sell-out on some level).

To me they do feel a tad too controlling of their image, and also seem to like to troll. For example, on the subject of their hidden back catalog wouldn't the most honest and humble response be to say something like "we know there's a big demand in our fanbase for some of our old stuff, and we've started going through it with the thought of bringing it all together, but to be honest we still have mixed feelings about releasing it. It comes from such a specific time in our creative history, that we would feel a bit weird releasing it now...but we may do so in the future, it all depends on whether or not we think we can really present it in a form that does it justice, and seems to make sense relative to where we are in our creative process at the time. It's hard to be writing new material and going through old stuff at the same time" or something along those lines.

@acroyear: actually I believe they said they did complete an acoustic version of mhtrtc, just never released it

maybe they don't, but they certainly feel something, and to play it off like they are unaware of the furor for their old tracks is disingenuous. As I said, they added that part into the interview without being prompted, yet they specifically avoided any mention of knowing there is a hunger for these old tracks within their fanbase, or even of the previous comments they themselves have made regarding a boxed set. Even you said it seemed like trollling. I was merely giving an example of something they could have said that would have felt more honest than "oh yeah, we have 1000 tracks, but we're gonna leave them as a legacy for our children" or whatever...

Listening to BOC talk about their process is always so inspiring.

So we’ll maybe spend days just playing various things, wind instruments, strings, guitars, bass, synths, for hours into the samplers and then feeding those sounds through stacks of destructive hardware and resampling them to make unrecognizable new sounds.

Guest Papillon

[edit: at Jules] agree with you on the last point, 100% (though, to be devil's advocate, I would be very curious to ask them why they added Dayvan Cowboy and the remix on the ep. Also the amount of sub-licensing they've done of their tracks, for adverts and Top Gear etc, also seems to be a sell-out on some level).

To me they do feel a tad too controlling of their image, and also seem to like to troll. For example, on the subject of their hidden back catalog wouldn't the most honest and humble response be to say something like "we know there's a big demand in our fanbase for some of our old stuff, and we've started going through it with the thought of bringing it all together, but to be honest we still have mixed feelings about releasing it. It comes from such a specific time in our creative history, that we would feel a bit weird releasing it now...but we may do so in the future, it all depends on whether or not we think we can really present it in a form that does it justice, and seems to make sense relative to where we are in our creative process at the time. It's hard to be writing new material and going through old stuff at the same time" or something along those lines.

@acroyear: actually I believe they said they did complete an acoustic version of mhtrtc, just never released it

Hi lumpy. I didn't recognize you because you changed your picture. I can't see the names on my mobile. Funny as usual.

Guest RadarJammer

So we’ll maybe spend days just playing various things, wind instruments, strings, guitars, bass, synths, for hours into the samplers and then feeding those sounds through stacks of destructive hardware and resampling them to make unrecognizable new sounds.

doesn't seem that interesting or inspiring to me. that's the same generic thing that most experimental musicians say and do

doesn't seem that interesting or inspiring to me. that's the same generic thing that most experimental musicians say and do

as opposed to what non-generic thing that most experimental musicians say and do...?

I don't see that as inspiring but I wish I could just use up a few days sampling instruments.

Guest RadarJammer

as opposed to what non-generic thing that most experimental musicians say and do...?

its a flowery way of saying "we sample things and mangle sound" which doesn't say anything about who they are or what they do or how they do it. i mean they didn't say anything about their process.

Guest Papillon

When I saw the 'don't do shukudai' video I thought for sure that was them, and I thought it was so refreshing to see something real, spontanious and personal but alas I don't think it was them...after all. Too bad.

I still think the album is a ten, its so dope to me.

When I saw the 'don't do shukudai' video I thought for sure that was them, and I thought it was so refreshing to see something real, spontanious and personal but alas I don't think it was them...after all. Too bad.

I still think the album is a ten, its so dope to me.

wait, what are you talking about?

Great read. My take aways:

1. BoC pay attention to us and like to fucking troll us. Vast archives of old material? Troll. Hundreds of tracks created in the past eight years? Major fucking troll.

2. They admit to hiding things in the music. Previously they brushed that off as over zealous fans. Another troll.

3. They are much more open and straight forward these days.

4. There are more releases to come.

Alot of people (BoC fans, no less!) don't seem interested in this stuff. I don't understand that. To me the above excerpt--vague as it is--still illuminates quite alot about the sound of their catalog. These last two interviews have alot of similar little peeks into their creative process like this but so few minds appear appropriately blown.

actually- even dr dre does that to avoid copyright so that didn't seem like a big deal. in fact, if anything, this interview proves that boc's mystery is all made up by their fans. they allude a lot by never agreeing or disagreeing to anything and thus leaving it all up in the air. example?

"theme for this album came from a bunch of films we've watched that influence us coz the world has doubled in population and we fantasize about it depopulating"

"movies? which ones?"

"are you kidding? we can't tell you. we'd have to make a list and it would be too long"

"okay okay. how about music? i get the feeling you guys were making a ton of music. tell me- just to reassure my and everyone else's curiosity- how much other music did you discard whilst making these 12 tracks?"

"we discarded more than 200 tracks that are like 60 albums of awesome shit that you'll never get to hear coz that's stuff for our kids (and maybe those lucky enough to be called family + friends)"

"can you tell me and the good people how you make your music? run us thru the process perhaps?"

"yeah, it's basically like this. my brother and i create instruments that have never been made- then we play those instruments, then we deconstruct the sound on a subatomic level and reassemble it through computers we've programmed to output the data as musical sound. it's all very complex and would take eons to explain, but you're holding the cd evidence"

FLOL ALZADO!

Yeah, this is the most bad ass interview I have ever read.

I admit that I am not the interview connoisseur but this is a treat.

HAPPY HALF CHRISTMAS YALL!

So we’ll maybe spend days just playing various things, wind instruments, strings, guitars, bass, synths, for hours into the samplers and then feeding those sounds through stacks of destructive hardware and resampling them to make unrecognizable new sounds.[/size]

actually- even dr dre does that to avoid copyright so that didn't seem like a big deal. in fact, if anything, this interview proves that boc's mystery is all made up by their fans. they allude a lot by never agreeing or disagreeing to anything and thus leaving it all up in the air. example?

"theme for this album came from a bunch of films we've watched that influence us coz the world has doubled in population and we fantasize about it depopulating"

"movies? which ones?"

"are you kidding? we can't tell you. we'd have to make a list and it would be too long"

"okay okay. how about music? i get the feeling you guys were making a ton of music. tell me- just to reassure my and everyone else's curiosity- how much other music did you discard whilst making these 12 tracks?"

"we discarded more than 200 tracks that are like 60 albums of awesome shit that you'll never get to hear coz that's stuff for our kids (and maybe those lucky enough to be called family + friends)"

"can you tell me and the good people how you make your music? run us thru the process perhaps?"

"yeah, it's basically like this. my brother and i create instruments that have never been made- then we play those instruments, then we deconstruct the sound on a subatomic level and reassemble it through computers we've programmed to output the data as musical sound. it's all very complex and would take eons to explain, but you're holding the cd evidence"

lol

I don't think they themselves control what music of theirs get licensed on shows, it's Warp and the BBC has some special agreement (or had at some point) where they can pretty much choose whatever they want to play on their shows without explicitly asking every copyright holder.

I don't think they themselves control what music of theirs get licensed on shows, it's Warp and the BBC has some special agreement (or had at some point) where they can pretty much choose whatever they want to play on their shows without explicitly asking every copyright holder.

this is correct

Archived