IGNORED

NeedleDrop Review's Tomorrow's Harvest

Nebraska

True, the passage of time can help you evaluate music better. But BoC fans will be playing this album for years to come anyway and it will be ingrained into the fabric of their lives. Many of them won't be crazy about it for the first 50 listens, then it gets burned into their brain out of sheer will, sense of loyalty, whatever you want to call it. You can do that with literally any music. Try finding one hit wonder songs from the 90's you'd heard a million times then, but not once since. It will have a similar effect. Those first 10-20 listens are telling you all you need to know about your objective thoughts on the actual music, not associated feelings on the periphery.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest murphythecat8

True, the passage of time can help you evaluate music better. But BoC fans will be playing this album for years to come anyway and it will be ingrained into the fabric of their lives. Many of them won't be crazy about it for the first 50 listens, then it gets burned into their brain out of sheer will, sense of loyalty, whatever you want to call it. You can do that with literally any music. Try finding one hit wonder songs from the 90's you'd heard a million times then, but not once since. It will have a similar effect. Those first 10-20 listens are telling you all you need to know about your objective thoughts on the actual music, not associated feelings on the periphery.

what? thats ridiculous.

Guest murphythecat8

I think that people can tend to overemphasize/overplay the amount of time and immersion it takes to acclimatize to Boc/Ae releases.

Sure, they're usually extremely layered and nuanced compositionally, but when you're as familiar with these band's universes as a lot of us on here are, it doesn't take long to be able to tell if an album has that magic which drew you to them in the first place. For me, "Tomorrow's Harvest" simply lacks the considerable variety of moods and unique atmospheres that were present on MHTRTC and Geogaddi. I don't feel that it's a particularly bad* album, but there's just no question as to whether it's up to the standard of their first two or not.

The main problem is that this is their first release in 8 years, the same amount of time over which they previously released three albums.

Maybe I can relate here, and I do think that TH do not touch Geogaddi, MHTRTC, Twoism, IABPOITC, but to be honest, those records are some of the best electronic music ever written. Now, to compare TH to milestones record isnt fair. Th, on its own, is still a really really good record and I would rate it honestly to at least 8/10 and if it was a first record from a new artist, this album would be a 10/10.

I go ba

• 11 months later...

If you read the comments after most needledrop reviews, there's not much talk about the music, it's generally a load of random pillocks arguing about his poncey fucking hairstyle or how cool his new mustache looks. Which speaks volumes on his fanbase.

Most of the time he's reviewing something that's already out, what's the point of that lol? I can just go listen to it and make my own mind up. What really sucks is that I know all this and still watch it! Just because I love consuming info on music. The irony of it all lol

If you read the comments after most needledrop reviews, there's not much talk about the music, it's generally a load of random pillocks arguing about his poncey fucking hairstyle or how cool his new mustache looks. Which speaks volumes on his fanbase.

this is true, actually. I've never seen much actual music discussion in the comments, just requests to review this album or that. I still think he's ok for a casual listener/reviewer or different styles of music, but yeah, his followers are losties.

Guest Zwei Kreise

Fantano's alright, he's entertaining and he speaks his mind, and I believe that he is honest. I often don't agree with him (case in point this very BoC review) but I respect his opinion, and he's far from having shitty tastes in music.

I just think that like with most critics it's hard to please everyone, especially on the internet where people have a tendancy to revert very quickly when a reviewer they follow doesn't agree with them on one single album/video game/book/movie/whatever, and tend to dismiss him/her outright for not liking that specific thing. From then on, it's hard to have a fanbase on the internet that maintains a discussion on the actual music involved since it will almost automatically derail into a war... And the bigger the audience the more exacerbated that effect is.

With that in mind I think he actually does a great job... I mean he's a music critic on the god damn internet, and on youtube of all places. If there's one place where calm, civilized debate is nigh impossible, it's youtube comment sections.

Still that doesn't make me agree with him on Tomorrow's Harvest, but I can keep watching his reviews because I know there's other stuff that I really like and that he really likes as well. I mean, the dude named Tim Hecker's Virgins his favorite album of 2013 and Exai is almost in his top 10, that's gonna mean at least something right ?

Fantano's alright, he's entertaining and he speaks his mind, and I believe that he is honest. I often don't agree with him (case in point this very BoC review) but I respect his opinion, and he's far from having shitty tastes in music.

I just think that like with most critics it's hard to please everyone, especially on the internet where people have a tendancy to revert very quickly when a reviewer they follow doesn't agree with them on one single album/video game/book/movie/whatever, and tend to dismiss him/her outright for not liking that specific thing. From then on, it's hard to have a fanbase on the internet that maintains a discussion on the actual music involved since it will almost automatically derail into a war... And the bigger the audience the more exacerbated that effect is.

With that in mind I think he actually does a great job... I mean he's a music critic on the god damn internet, and on youtube of all places. If there's one place where calm, civilized debate is nigh impossible, it's youtube comment sections.

Still that doesn't make me agree with him on Tomorrow's Harvest, but I can keep watching his reviews because I know there's other stuff that I really like and that he really likes as well. I mean, the dude named Tim Hecker's Virgins his favorite album of 2013 and Exai is almost in his top 10, that's gonna mean at least something right ?

that's the most diplomatic post I've ever read on watmm , impressive work young man :biggrin:

The less of those st-st-stutter edits he does, the better his reviews seem to be. If he dropped them completely and just did a straight review sans jump cuts for 5 minute I reckon he could be a decent source for reviews.

I don't.

I think he's a very good critic. I'm not saying he's as good as Roger Ebert, whose insight into film was enough to spark my interest and dig deeper into films in general. Fantano hasn't done that for me with music, but at least he has the same rulebook.

Fantano is just telling it like it is here, it's not some clueless old pitchfork review with a bunch of false made up criteria.

i don't mind him at all and i don't understand the hate towards the needle drop, he's got some pretty good ears

a lot of his reviews are just too soon though, you can't "judge" an album like exaii in less then a month

totally, exai is one of the most challenging records I've ever forced myself to love.

I don't.

i think that says more about you than it does him...

No it doesn't.

Archived