IGNORED

How do you organize your collection?

For the OCD music collectors,

Just curious. I've done the loosely alphabetical for the longest time (like all the A's get throw in together etc etc) but i've gotten lazy recently and have just been throwing them back in a pile after listens and kinda want a new way of doing it.

While the way i had it is great for looking for very specific stuff - i feel like i ignore like 75% of my collection because I mainly forget about them? How do you have yours and why?

I only have about 400 CDS and maybe 30 vinyls.. probably not nearly as much as most of you. I have them all arranged by artist. Different monikers of the same artist are grouped together.

Easy as pie. =)

I put arrange it by artist. For example, all the Autechre stuff together in cronological order. Makes it easy to find stuff, and looks cool.

Only do this with the artist I have a lot of stuff with though. The rest is a bit random.

Albums by the same artist are grouped together, these are then grouped by genre, subgenre and improvised into microgenres for the more unclassifiable stuff.

Oh, and sometimes by the colour of the spines.

I don't have enough records for the need to sort them, so they juts go in this box. Box is full now though, I need shelves soon.

Can someone recommend shelves?

And the hundreds of cd's I have used to be in alphabetical order but after moving I haven't bothered. I'm gonna sell 90% of it for whatever I can get out of them anyways.

Albums by the same artist are grouped together, these are then grouped by genre, subgenre and improvised into microgenres for the more unclassifiable stuff.

Oh, and sometimes by the colour of the spines.

you know, i actually I did this spines thing once cuz it sounded cool and it looked really pretty but kinda hard to remember what cds have what color spines - so i couldn't find anything

i was actually thinking of trying chronological - but i like to do artist album binges - and this would be super painful to do with that

and also unless i know what year every album is done it's tough to put everything back... but worth a try i guess - might be nice to find things by musical era.

I organise my records alphabetically by artist, and chronologically within artist groups. I'm starting to get a lot of records now though, and I tend to forget I have certain albums, so every now and then I pick through and grab a bunch of records I haven't thought about in a while (or never listened to) and put them in a milk crate in front of my shelf which is my 'to listen' pile.

I don't have enough records for the need to sort them, so they juts go in this box. Box is full now though, I need shelves soon.

I have an Ikea EXPEDIT shelving unit for my records, works perfectly:

expedit-shelving-unit__0092710_PE229408_

I've set mine up horizontally though. The only problem is that the shelves don't have any backing so if you don't have it perfectly pressed up against a wall the records will sit kinda deep unless you're obsessive like me.

I organise my records alphabetically by artist, and chronologically within artist groups. I'm starting to get a lot of records now though, and I tend to forget I have certain albums, so every now and then I pick through and grab a bunch of records I haven't thought about in a while (or never listened to) and put them in a milk crate in front of my shelf which is my 'to listen' pile.

I've set mine up horizontally though. The only problem is that the shelves don't have any backing so if you don't have it perfectly pressed up against a wall the records will sit kinda deep unless you're obsessive like me.

I cut some alumnium strips and sprayed them black, panel pinned them into the back of the frame. Winner.

And I forgot to say how I organise stuff...

Records are loosely by genre / bpm. Used to do a lot of DJing so I have plenty of techno / prog house records so it made sense to organise them this way.

CDs are loosely by artist / genre, followed by compilations etc.

Basically i'm not that fussy about where stuff is, but I can pretty much walk up to the shelf and pull stuff out straight away as I know where it would be. Works for me.

hah! remembering the weight of your collection is pretty hardcore.

so i settled for loosely arranged...

genre / artist / and label bunched depending on what i would recognize stuff should be near.

I'm gonna try it a bit.

Ahh alright. Looks good thanks.

If you're using the big expedits, reinforce the cross sections at the back. Or use multiple 2*2s instead.

YHbTm.jpg

aw shiiiit

Yeah mine is the 4x2 version. Like I said, I've laid mine horizontally, but my records are in the top row (taking up four spaces). I'm thinking of moving them to the bottom half now after seeing that picture!

Guest unteleportedman

Completely random. I'm seeing some good ideas on here though in case I decide to change my ways.

alpha beta cal

though at the moment they are in boxes put aside. cause i'm moving and also i don't really play records. what's the point when i have all my music on my computer. you don't have to answer that.. :p

739 CD's in chronological order from day one. It starts with my Dad gifting me the Disintegration boxed set of singles by The Cure when I got a Discman for my 11th birthday. 739 is Tomorrow's Harvest. Music is sorted by life epoch so artist and album melts into "sophomore year of high school, senior year college, etc." I've kept a corresponding spreadsheet since 1997 to keep track. What have I become?...my sweetest friend

Wait Chronological by release date? or autobiographical in like in order you got them??

Archived