IGNORED

Chewed Corners

Guest orochi

this is a good album and all, but i've been wondering what his nextep will be

Ignoring the pun, this is actually something that I've been wondering, too. XTEP and Chewed Corners were both compilations of tracks drawn from a massive pool of stuff he's produced over a pretty long period of time. Because of this, they didn't really feel as focused to me as other albums were (say what you wish about Duntisbourne, but it was obviously produced as an album, not a handful of songs).

He really did vastly overcompensate last year, but I'm really hoping he does something a little more focused soon. Still, it's great he's back in the game.

Even though Chewed Corners was indeed likely taken from a handful of different stuff, I would disagree that it's unfocused, in fact I would argue that it's his most focused album yet. I think he did a lot of experimenting starting with Lunatic Harness onwards (which is certainly not a bad thing), and then for this one he just sort of decided to get his shit together and put out a collection of tracks that are just nice to listen to, not as challenging as his last albums but still juicy and interesting in a more "comfortable" way. I think they all sound very similar, like this was his agenda for the whole album, but that's definitely a good thing.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finally just got "XTEP" and "Chewed Corners" in the mail: they've been on my wishlist for months. Excellent releases, both; thanks Mike for the great tunes. I especially like the general positivity here, but it's not oversimplified emotion. I can tell things are going well for you, and this is infectious in the right ways. Looking forward to "Rediffusion"!

Have had this on rotation (along with "XTEP") since I received copies for my birthday. Fucking excellent. Timeless tunes on here. Thanks again.

Even though Chewed Corners was indeed likely taken from a handful of different stuff, I would disagree that it's unfocused, in fact I would argue that it's his most focused album yet.

Seconded. Mike knows what an album is and how it must flow from a to z and he applied his formula to his own two last ep and album. They're really consistent records and one song flows into the next effortlessly. He should be the one making an album of unreleased Aphex tracks from the early 90's. He just knows how to. That's a talent in itself and you have it or you don't.

For the first while after I got Chewed Corners, I was accidentally playing the tracks in alphabetical order thinking that this was the actual album order. I think it works a lot better this way (Christ Dust as the opener, etc).

Most of them are great tracks but I don't think they flow very well as an album (not in their original order anyway!)

• 5 weeks later...

I have a newly found love for this album. I didn't really get it at the time it was released, but I now see it as a thing of beauty and actually music I can play when my wife is in the room and she doesn't hate it (....snares)

• 1 year later...

So, I participate religiously in a local BYO records event in my town, and I just played "Mountain Island Boner" in my set, and my mega-crush just gave me a high five while it was playing, and she said "I knew these where your tunes!" And I'm seeing someone else (who I'm not as crazy about, obvs, and I'm a dick, obvs and I hate this situation), and I don't think she (my mega-crush) digs me as much as I dig her and I'm sad and my life is silly and fuck it let's just ride this shit out.

Thanks for the cool tunes, Mike. Your tunes (especially "Hasty Boom Alert", my god) have seen me through my most significant relationships since the nineties, and now look at this shit. Is this middle-aged life or what? Fuck me. I'm doomed. But I love your music and you know it.

So, I participate religiously in a local BYO records event in my town, and I just played "Mountain Island Boner" in my set, and my mega-crush just gave me a high five while it was playing, and she said "I knew these where your tunes!" And I'm seeing someone else (who I'm not as crazy about, obvs, and I'm a dick, obvs and I hate this situation), and I don't think she (my mega-crush) digs me as much as I dig her and I'm sad and my life is silly and fuck it let's just ride this shit out.

Thanks for the cool tunes, Mike. Your tunes (especially "Hasty Boom Alert", my god) have seen me through my most significant relationships since the nineties, and now look at this shit. Is this middle-aged life or what? Fuck me. I'm doomed. But I love your music and you know it.

love the tmi!

This is just a very good thread bump right here. Great choice on Monkey Island Boner as well, what a gem.

I also second Joyrex on his sentiments towards Taikon, great way to open the album.

This is just a very good thread bump right here. Great choice on Monkey Island Boner as well, what a gem.

I also second Joyrex on his sentiments towards Taikon, great way to open the album.

Totally agree those tracks are ace my favourite is HUG, Forger & Smear are good tracks hence why i paid a pretty penny for this album.

The track hug is so warm and fuzzy it's like being in a room of cotton wool.

Archived