IGNORED

Aphex Twin's mixing process/tools

Lane Visitor

Guest skibby

that track sounds more like Monolith than the Tuss, isn't that a fake?

fake or not, it uses that scrubby scratchy groove thing. the stuff that starts at 2:07

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, my first post here on the forum.

Zoe is right, Tom from ASOL has confirmed that Richard bought some of his drum modules.

As far as Building or and modding his own synths, I think it would seems like a good idea, after all he did attend some kind of Electronic enginnering school

why wouldn't he have other people repair his gear, it's not like it's fun spending hours and hours on old junk keyboards, believe me!

As With Aaron I think the main approach is keeping a lot of fx outboard and record it like it is. With an MC4 or using external sequencers and quantizisers you can get a lot of cool sounds.

Welcome, acidbob!

Tom from ASOL has confirmed that Richard bought some of his drum modules.
Indeed. Good thing too, they're much more versatile than the Roland originals.

Welcome, acidbob!

Tom from ASOL has confirmed that Richard bought some of his drum modules.
Indeed. Good thing too, they're much more versatile than the Roland originals.

Possibly the most overpriced synth company in the world!

These kinds of companies are often just one or two people fulfilling a very specific niche. In that context, you can't exactly make really cheap products. I'm amazed these companies make products that are as affordable as they are, considering that.

Yeah the ASOL drum modules in my opinion are a lot better than the tiptop ones, but a modded 606/909 combo is hard to beat.

You wil end up paying more for individual modules rather that the full package of a complete machine,

I mean, you need a sequencer+midi to trig+modules+mixer+output, and possibly some kind of amp for soft/hard clipping.

Some kind of damping AD/AR envelope + VCA for damping the hihats would also be needed, you know where a new step damps the old one.

I think his products are fairly cheap compared to other small Companies, but then Again they are mostly bread an butter.

I don't like the Jack inputs, they are really tight.

I am pretty sure he used an Oberheim Matrix, some of the patches sounds like factory presets.

Last step also use Oberheim, I am pretty sure, but I don't think it's a matrix, sounds more like SEM or OBX.

Well it could also just be a SEM filter in his modular

It would be hard to pick a favourite... the anal retentive side of me likes how the Tiptop modules are properly matching and compact (using surface mount technology), but the ASol modules have so much tweakability for variety of timbres that I'm not sure I could do without them now.

Sure, if you bought them all they'd get a bit pricey, but an advantage of modules is you can simply buy only the ones you need. Personally I don't need a TR-808 style "cowbell", I'm content with just a kick and snare and hi-hats. (If you really needed those other sounds, a DrumStation would probably be sufficient anyway. Don't be afraid to mix and match.) Plus you can use an existing MIDI to CV converter to trigger them, so you can play intricate parts on them without having to retrofit a MIDI to CV converter onto a drum machine that doesn't have individual trigger inputs. So if you want to turn these modules into the functional equivalent of the real things, yes, it would be awkward. But if you want to turn them into MIDI controlled, timbrally versatile beasts, it's cheaper and easier to do it with them than with the real things.

The A-106-5 SEM filter is great, the first filter module I ever bought. It's very reasonably priced and also sounds wonderful. So these are all smart choices. (The ASol 808 style modules and Doepfer A-106-5 probably account for quite a large part of my Doggie Dogster alias's sound).

Ah, yes, I've heard that SAW II sounds like it's using Oberheim Matrix presets, or very similar sounds. (Though to my ears, you could use pretty much any orchestral samples and achieve something similar through playing them a few octaves down, filtering them, and adding delay and reverb.) See discussions on the Ableton forum and Harmony Central.

Cool to hear you liked the Sem filter, I am about to order the bubblesound Sem20, Just sold my telemark today to finance a kenton modular solo, this envelope http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_ueg2.html and maybe the new intellijel SH-101 style envelope.

Next will be a dual or a couple of osc's? Havent decided yet, Maybe something thru zero.

I already have the tiptop z3000 and subcon m15, but something more exotic would be great.

I had the matrix presets used in SAW, I am 99% sure of this, the matrix is a sweet ass sounding synth :biggrin: But they are getting old, and I am not much of a collector, there is so much new stuff comming out that I feel there is no point holding on to these grandfather synths, I mean the caps are starting to get acid incontinence.

I have been lusting for a 909 kick and snare, maybe it's pointless since i have a jomox airbase, it's not really sounding like 909, wish I could here the tiptop modules in a context with something else, like a 606.

here is the jomox mixed with 606

http://snd.sc/17hLVi1

Ooh, nice envelop generator / LFO! Finally something to give the Alpha Junos a run for their money.

Yeah, there are so many neat contemporary modules right now, it's crazy to pay more for older synths that achieve a very similar effect, with harder to replace parts and leaky caps. One of the things I love about my synth is that it doesn't sound like just one particular synth, it sounds like a crazy hybrid of various other ones... I buy it one piece at a time, and when I pull out the switch, all three of 'em oscillators come on!

i already told you Zoe what SAW2 was made with on Youtube. Not all of it, but a standard poly synth pad isnt that much of a mystery. The flutes, the oboes, etc. Presets sample library. I think the pads in fenix funk are interesting. they sound like a cross synthesis with an sk-1 vocal and maybe an oboe patch. Either way, they could be used on SAW3.

i already told you Zoe what SAW2 was made with on Youtube. Not all of it, but a standard poly synth pad isnt that much of a mystery. The flutes, the oboes, etc. Presets sample library. I think the pads in fenix funk are interesting. they sound like a cross synthesis with an sk-1 vocal and maybe an oboe patch. Either way, they could be used on SAW3.

I just collabed with the 'Twin' on Sunday, and we actually used stock samples from FL Studio 2 for the oboe sound on the latest SAW works we're doing. It sounds pretty rad, very Peter and the Wolf wind-sound-in-Sydney Opera House - meets standard bathroom reverb.. my favorite part is how the FL sound engine and it's onboard long hall verb adds this sort of these pingy high mids that sounds like it was recorded behind a metal/wooden hybrid-based closet door. very avante garde. we may or may not release it for yall to hear (;

Mid nineties, yes, but probably not early.

I've got a violin, and a cello as well, and I've learned to play that enough to be able to sample it, get some good notes — Richard D. James, 1996 (Marc Weidenbaum: Eponymous Rex)

I might play a violin or a trumpet scale into Pro Tools — every note I can think of — and then bang it into ReCycle, chop it up into little bits, bang it into the sampler, and you've got a complete bank of sounds in your sampler in about five minutes. — Richard D. James, 1997 (Greg Rule: Still Hacking After All These Years)

I just collabed with the 'Twin' on Sunday, and we actually used stock samples from FL Studio 2 for the oboe sound on the latest SAW works we're doing. It sounds pretty rad, very Peter and the Wolf wind-sound-in-Sydney Opera House - meets standard bathroom reverb.. my favorite part is how the FL sound engine and it's onboard long hall verb adds this sort of these pingy high mids that sounds like it was recorded behind a metal/wooden hybrid-based closet door. very avante garde. we may or may not release it for yall to hear (;

haha, classic idm message board retort. i found the lichen pad on an old emulator sample video

Guest skibby

cmon beatwife, get in here and sprinkle some crumbs. do you have a thread where you talk shop on this or another forum?

Ah, well yes, I suspect he was telling the truth about playing his own violin and cello scales into his sampler. Software you could get since then onwards made it so easy to get your own sounds in there that it's practically criminal not to put some kind of original sounds of your own in your songs!

I suspect that's at least the source of the string sounds in 4, although their melody is heavily influenced by the intro to a version of Experiment IV (presumably giving the track its name too).

hello dearest fellow AT admirers. i've worked on the vordhosbn cover some more in case anyone would like to give it a test. come to think of it, would it be appropriate to maybe move it to the 'latest creations' place on the forum or? what do?

https://soundcloud.com/zhaozhou/vordhosbn-cover-11

Yeah chuck it in latest creations. Liking it by the way :)

hello dearest fellow AT admirers. i've worked on the vordhosbn cover some more in case anyone would like to give it a test. come to think of it, would it be appropriate to maybe move it to the 'latest creations' place on the forum or? what do?

https://soundcloud.com/zhaozhou/vordhosbn-cover-11

jezuz. wtf drum samples are you using or where are they coming from?!?!?!? this sounds incredible.

Guest skibby

[...]

jezuz. wtf drum samples are you using or where are they coming from?!?!?!? this sounds incredible.

well, most of the percussion sounds come from the roland dr-770, which i suspect the original song got some of its sounds, just a crazy theory, since most of those samples are just samples of stuff they're supposed to be emulating. but if i were him, making drukqs on my laptop in 1999 or 2000, i wouldn't shy away from using those samples.

the main kick is rap kick 1, the snare is bech ss or somthing like that. i used liberal amounts of bit reduction here and there, even dropped -60db of pink noise to analogify it more.

it was fun to put myself in those shoes for a couple weeks. yep it took me a bunch of time. listening to the song on repeat even while i slept, listening on repeat all day everywhere i went, so i could reverse engineer it better, notice this and that. and still im only in the periphery of the ballpark.

Ah, well yes, I suspect he was telling the truth about playing his own violin and cello scales into his sampler. Software you could get since then onwards made it so easy to get your own sounds in there that it's practically criminal not to put some kind of original sounds of your own in your songs!

I suspect that's at least the source of the string sounds in 4, although their melody is heavily influenced by the intro to a version of Experiment IV (presumably giving the track its name too).

ive always felt that the strings on RDJ album were sampling libraries and not recorded by him personally. If they were they just sound way too clean, it almost defeats the purpose of sampling real strings to make them sound that much like a stock Esoniq or Akai library

of course they were

of course they were what? him sampling himself playing string instruments or him using a sampling library (which is how it sounds)

richard actually has an entire string orchestra locked up in his basement

Guest skibby

this "old" track from trackermatte uses many of the same sounds from the album drukqs, which indicates to me that it could be about 14 years old.

it's really odd and ironic that there are so few who have gone thru these songs on neles' soundcloud. there's even free albums to download. its mind boggling. i must have gotten stuck in hyperspace on my last... anyways

listen from 4:52 for the same pad/drone sound from vorhodsbn, also, if you listen carefully the kick has a little bit reduction on it. so i think this track might have been made in the same "project" (template or whatever) as vordhosbn. so it seems like Mattias has really done his homework. my idol right now. unparalleled genius.

https://soundcloud.com/nelesrecords/12-trackermatte-acidv-fflor

Archived