Lustmord - The Word As Power

Redruth

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for bumping this - I'd have missed it otherwise.

Just bought the FLAC download via Bandcamp and am fully immersed...makes spending £££ on a headphone amp/DAC recently more worthwhile!

Love the Tuvan throat singing vibe of Grigori. The vocals really do bring the music to life.

• 6 years later...

this is one of my favourite 'ambient' albums. the Jarboe track soothes my soul. also Simon Fowler, the cover artist, does tattoo designs, and I approached him once about doing one but didn't have the bread at the time. his art is amazing.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, usagi said:

this is one of my favourite 'ambient' albums. the Jarboe track soothes my soul. also Simon Fowler, the cover artist, does tattoo designs, and I approached him once about doing one but didn't have the bread at the time. his art is amazing.

'ambient' for sure - definitely dark ambient.... gonna have to throw it back on now.  Haven't heard it in a while

Yeah also big fan of this, not listened to all that much of his stuff but I absolutely love this and the place where the black stars hang...really should check out more by him

On 6/29/2021 at 1:47 AM, kirm said:

Yeah also big fan of this, not listened to all that much of his stuff but I absolutely love this and the place where the black stars hang...really should check out more by him

[Beyond] is also very good. it flows really well together, completely sucks you in. I think it might be a good album to meditate to.

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to ever listen to this, sorry Lusty.  :makes a note to listen to this:

Edit: oh it has vocals though? Getting nervous again. 

Edited by baph

17 minutes ago, baph said:

it's good though. some bits go on a bit too long (looking at you, Chorazin) but overall the vocals complement the drones very well, and where they take centre stage they create a new kind of power.

the Jarboe track is my favourite:

Edited by usagi
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:52 AM, baph said:

I forgot to ever listen to this, sorry Lusty.  :makes a note to listen to this:

But...

The word.... has the power

• Big Brain 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Guest Z_B_Z
      By Guest Z_B_Z
      ..anyone here an aficionado? I've sampled his stuff over the years and watching these vids of recent live performances really made me want to seriously get into his stuff. I would love to have a full concert in 5.1 surround if these videos are indicative of a whole 'performance'. can someone give me a list of his 'must hear' releases?

• By Uros
      Previously unreleased Lustmord

"Lustmord’s TRINITY was originally commissioned by Unsound Festival in 2012 as a live presentation, with the project being developed further for this album version.
      It includes location recordings made at Los Alamos National Laborites, where the atom bomb was developed and at Jornada Del Muerte Alamogordo Air Base (aka White Sands), New Mexico where the first bomb was detonated, along with audio gathered at the Los Alamos National Laboratory Archive via the Freedom of Information Act. "
      Merry tunes for the bandcamp day
    • By triachus
      https://www.facebook.com/Lustmord.Page/photos/a.484794371615.257503.21279386615/10153799800416616/?type=3&theater

Sample:

https://soundcloud.com/lustmord/dark-matter-medley
    • Guest Papillon
      By Guest Papillon
      My thoughts:

Joshua Eustis helped out on this release and you can hear his influence in these new tracks. This record has a lot going for it, sounds like what Slowdive might be doing if they hadn't stopped making music together.

If you listen to the audio (below) and skip ahead to 5:10 of "I woke up and the storm was over" that is like the best part, but both are really strong tracks IMO.

Some people compare this to Beach House but I don't personally know why, maybe becuase it's a female and she's American? I like both bands but think these two tracks are better than the last BH album.

Audio:

Press release:

Stop Suffering is the new EP from Tropic of Cancer, due to be released on 12" vinyl and digital formats on October 30, 2015.
      It’s the first music to emerge from Camella Lobo’s project since the 2013 debut album, Restless Idylls, and features three new songs - ‘Stop Suffering’, ‘I Woke Up And The Storm Was Over’ and ‘When The Dog Bites’ – written and recorded by Lobo in LA, with additional production and mixing from Joshua Eustis (Sons of Magdalene, Telefon Tel Aviv).
      Lobo’s deeply romantic, fatalistic music has always luxuriated in sadness, and that isn’t about to change: themes addressed on Stop Suffering include, she tells us, “disappointing yourself and others…burning your own house down...temporary feelings with permanent consequences.” It is music steeped in pain and regret, certainly, but unlike TOC music of old, these new songs feel less about surrender: even if the title track does seem to address the S-M dynamic at the heart of any meaningful relationship (“For you the world feels so brand new / When you cut me like you do”). On the contrary, they are self-possessed and constructive, even confrontational, embodying the stark command of the EP's title. This is not a record about loss, but about what comes after: and it is mature enough to know that what comes after is no walk in the park. Lobo identifies the idea of “self-help” as being particularly pertinent to these songs, and this comes across: rebirth, redefining the borders of the self, learning to be happy again. Gone, or at least receding, is that decadent, fin-de-siècle preoccupation with decay, with the end. Stop Suffering is a new beginning.
      The towering, time-stopping title track is the culmination of Tropic of Cancer’s work to date, and sets the tone for the entire EP. This is music at once intimate and immense. Rarely does an arrangement so sparse exhibit such grandeur: Joshua Eustis's bravura mixing wrings spine-melting effect out of each component, and the dubwise harnessing of space and bass pressure first showcased on Restless Idylls is now a core, defining feature of the band. Lobo's melodic gift has always been strong, but the hypnotic, monochord intensity that characterised TOC’s previous records gives way here to a more concrete song-narrative - which serves only to heighten the sensation of drowned-world psychedelia. Her divine alto still swims in reverb, but the words are clearer, there’s a resolve to communicate through the aqueous haze: “I hope you’ll forgive me…”
      ‘I Woke Up And The Storm Was Over’, which appears here in a slightly different mix to that which opens the vinyl-only Blackest Ever Black compilation I Can’t Give You The Life You Want, is no less mesmerising, further highlighting Lobo's ever more sophisticated, painterly use of synth textures, not to mention her unmistakably plangent, otherworldly guitar work. She has spent a considerable amount of time crafting these songs, and it shows: for all that we cherish her earlier work, never has Tropic of Cancer sounded so poised, so assured, or so moving as it does today. The EP concludes with the elegiac, frozen-space ambience of ‘When The Dog Bites’; Lobo’s vocal is a radiant blur, consoling across a void of lonesome string-pads, vaporous noise and distant, tranquilized bass-drum detonations.
      "I've searched all the world," Lobo sings on 'I Woke Up...', "And it turns out I want all the world." With Tropic of Cancer it always comes back to longing: for the impossible, the irretrievable, the unrequitable.
      Tracklist:
      A1. Stop Suffering
      B1. I Woke Up And The Storm Was Over
      B2. When The Dog Bites
      Written and recorded by Camella Lobo.
      Additional recording, production and mixing by Joshua Eustis.
      Cover photograph by Jasmine Deporta.
      Layout by Oliver Smith.
      Mastered and cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy, London.
      12" vinyl pressed at Optimal, housed in black paper inner and full-colour LP sleeve printed on reverse board. Includes download code (MP3/FLAC).
      Customers who buy direct from Blackest Ever Black will receive a free download code when their order is dispatched.
      Also available on digital formats.
      Distributed by Cargo.
      Tropic of Cancer will be touring Europe this Autumn, including a performance at the Five Wretched Years Of Blackest Ever Black event at Berghain in Berlin on October 30, 2015 (alongside Raime, Prurient and more). The full list of dates as it stands is copied below, with many more to be added in the coming weeks. Please direct all booking enquiries here.
      Stop Suffering coincides with another Tropic of Cancer release on Blackest Ever Black, Archive: The Downwards Singles (BLACKEST041).
    • By cwmbrancity
      An array of tracks to keep it unreal, from the likes of Muslimgauze, Nurse With Wound, Ingram Marshall, Lustmord, Psychic TV, Coil, Peter Christopherson, Cluster, Cyclobe, Jon Hassell, Boards Of Canada & Robert Ashley. Track-list in a bit,,,,,,,,,