IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zelmo Swift

Long Adam Harper post on the "Still Life (Betamale)" Video:

http://rougesfoam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/on-new-opn-video.html

see now, that guy seems to have read some big moralist slant into that video which I didn't get. I mean I got this very specific hazy dreamlike vibe that I'm sure I could sperg out about, but nothing that jumped out & screamed "this shit be WEIRDBAD yo"

This article doesn't get interesting until the comments section.

Long Adam Harper post on the "Still Life (Betamale)" Video:

http://rougesfoam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/on-new-opn-video.html

see now, that guy seems to have read some big moralist slant into that video which I didn't get. I mean I got this very specific hazy dreamlike vibe that I'm sure I could sperg out about, but nothing that jumped out & screamed "this shit be WEIRDBAD yo"

This article doesn't get interesting until the comments section.

I don't care what anyone says, that bear with the blonde wig could have me if she wanted to.

Guest pixelives

See also: Satomi Taniyama - Portopia (also on Strange Life Records)

R-2207548-1313179483.jpeg

Just bought the Portopia CDr on discogs; thanks for the rec! Also, can't seem to find The Psychic Stewardess anywhere..

It's out there, but not easy to find. It was a personal press CDR Wolfers put out himself before his new resurgence.

Wow, lot of interviews to read through! Look forward to it.

Miguel Depedro (Kid606) offered his unsolicited advice afterwards.

“I remember him leaning over,” explains Lopatin, “and screaming ‘good set but you gotta get rid of that Juno and looper act.’ I was so offended; I was like, ‘This is my SHIT. What is your shit? Breakcore?’ But maybe he was right.

:duckhunt:

:emotawesomepm9:

hahaha zing

I could see that Oneohtrixpoint never appeals to a younger generation of experimental music and ambient fans, so no point in talking about people like Jon Oswald, because an 18 year old probably wouldn't give a fuck anyways with how much other 'vaporware' there is out there.

I work in a record store and in my experience the vast majority of people who purchase opn records are young, hip types, with a good percentage of female customers in fact.

as for the wankery of journalism over this record I agree it is very ridiculous but I have always thought opn reviews were pretty heavily pretentious. I mean, who recalls that pitchfork guy's harsh critique of the disintegration loops in which he praised the philosophical and "existential" deep meaning of an echo jam that was simply a slowed down loop of a new kids on the block line? I mean, come the fuck on. considering all the press he does one can only assume lopatin eats this shit up since I've certainly never heard him shy away from the notion that his music has some important post modern significance.

Daniel Lopatin resides in Brooklyn, NY.

Man, I typed that out and almost posted that myself as an explanation.

thoughts:

the reason i liked the still life video was that it presented that conflict of watching something seemingly push against the "evils" of the internet while at the same time forcing you into pointless paranoia. "but wait, i'm on a computer too!" i loved it, i felt both intrigued and repulsed. it just fit the sounds of still life so well. i didn't come out of it with a feeling of disgust, just a sort of reminder. maybe it pushed a bit too hard, but i thought it was a great nudge at sterile social platforms and communities ("hey, look what the internet can really do").

album is great because it takes the aesthetic of vaporwhatever but not the lazy production. it plays off of the sounds so well, but it doesn't resort to the usual monotony in that kind of stuff. a break from the generic pitch shift and loop style.

then, not only does it amp up the production into something unique and interesting, it intersperses it with fucking beautiful synthesizer compositions. it flipped a trend based around flipping a trend, is a way to put it (maybe, i'm tired).

vaporwave comparisons aside, its just a good album. it has these great tiny moments filled with melody and noise and beauty. like, how you can have a favorite couple seconds of an autechre track due to how it seems to always be changing. just when it seems like it could melt apart into pretentiousness, it saves itself by fearlessly hopping on a new wave of sound and riding it out.

(take all this however you see fit.. i just woke up at 1:00 in the afternoon and listened to it so these thoughts may not seem coherent or logical)

imo the difference between an ae track and this is that in the former the changing fragments you speak of are part of a sophisticated compositional whole whereas in the latter there is no artistic unification, the fragments merely come off as meandering disjointed sketches.

interesting, this album presents itself as pretty unified in my mind. that said, i agree that the tracks are full of many different individual "sketches", but they don't feel disjointed to me. there are some tracks on here that develop better than others, yeah, but i still feel that the album works as a whole.

i hate to keep bringing up autechre, because these two artists are vastly different, but the feeling i get listening to r plus 7 kind of reminds me of listening to quaristice, especially for the first time. i loved it for it's variation and spontaneity. i mean, autechre never seem to run out of ideas and sounds, but hearing quaristice was like a rebirth. so much stuff going on during that runtime, but that slightly disjointed eagerness became what i recognized it for and made it feel unified.

“I remember him leaning over,” explains Lopatin, “and screaming ‘good set but you gotta get rid of that Juno and looper act.’ I was so offended; I was like, ‘This is my SHIT. What is your shit? Breakcore?’ But maybe he was right.

hahaha zing

kid606 said that? I feel like after what Kid 606 decided to do with his trajectory (booty bass, dubstep, scene riding) he doesn't really deserve to be telling Daniel what to do with his live act. Juno + looper pedal type setup of actually making pretty and pleasing music is something I rarely ever see any live performer do these days. usually the only type of hardware centric sets are minimal wave-esque, straight techno or noise. Kid606 has tried making ambient too, breakcore was only one of his phases. I think after he decided to give away his obscure research chemical drug collection back in '02/'03 era he went downhill (or at least thats what the word on the street is). I think Kid606 is probably just jealous that Daniel isn't one of his protege's but... ahem... Mochipit is

nice, ill be there to bombard him with questions about plunderphonics and why vaporware as a genre doesn't seem to acknowledge sample smiths of the past

Why should he fixate on that one particular terminology when there are lots of ways to talk about sampling & appropriation (which he clearly HAS acknowledged as an important part of his approach). It's weird to obsess over that aspect of R Plus Seven as well, as if you're about to unmask his conspiracy, since the sampling obviously isn't at the forefront of this release as it has been on some others.

It's a bit much to expect him to be a spokesperson for Vaporwave. R Plus Seven has some stylistic nods to Vaporwave (amongst other trends), but do you really think it fits neatly within the genre?

since the sampling obviously isn't at the forefront of this release as it has been on some others.

it's not? Compared to other oneohtrixpont never releases, besides Replica it's very much a sampling/stolen sample centric album to me. There are a lot of ways to 'talk about' sampling, but coincidentally or implicitly his album sounds rooted in the tradition of the specific sampling tradition of plunderphonics (have you heard any?) I'm not trying to unmask a conspiracy i'm just pointing out something pretty obvious

hahaha zing

kid606 said that? I feel like after what Kid 606 decided to do with his trajectory (booty bass, dubstep, scene riding) he doesn't really deserve to be telling Daniel what to do with his live act. Juno + looper pedal type setup of actually making pretty and pleasing music is something I rarely ever see any live performer do these days.

I hope he doesn't give up on the "Juno + looper act", actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually surprised to find that I like OPN's new direction, too (I wasn't quite as keen on "Replica", but to my mind "R plus seven" redeems it). But I think he's done some very good work on his old records, and I'd like to see him incorporate that simple approach for at least part of his live act.

listening to this for the first time and think this is amazing.

personally I think it's more a nod to Steve Reich sorta stuff than to Vaporwave.

Archived