IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

good post. however, I completely disagree with you lol. I think I specifically take issue with how conservative and cheap this record is. it's fashionable nostalgia, it's not perverse in the least. in fact, maybe I'm specifically annoyed that it doesn't go far enough into that confrontational perversion you speak of and merely hints at it while remain too cool for school.

last post

I guess this is where I disagree. It uses all the whatever fashionable nostalgia, but tbh the nostalgia is not what makes this album for me. The structure of the songs isn't "perverse", but I've heard little else like it. It really seems to me like a more accessible and more musical version of music concrete stylistically, but not just by cheaply referencing it but by mixing the style in a way that's more publicly accessible (which is still not very accessible). It doesn't feel cheap to me at all, and there's plenty of stuff that I like that is totally cheap (like Vektroid's Beer On The Rug releases). Sounds more like reinvented Paul Lansky than nostalgia.

edit:

One reason I really like the album is simply because of the organizational structure, even ignoring the actual sounds used. It's chaotic, but put together. In that sense it reminds me of why I think AE is cool, because they did stuff with structure that other people weren't doing as much of at the time.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the album is causing this much discussion, speculation and debate, it has to be 10/10 #based ALBUM OF THE YEAR ALL YEARS p4k best new music

dan lopatin is a modern mozart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think it's cool that nowadays you don't have to be good at synthesis, you can just use general midi. and instead of composition chops you can just do like this: fast, unimaginative arpeggio here, followed by wacky chopped up late 90s vox here, followed by more general midi nooding, and have everything tied together with generic sustained synth vox chords. perhaps a few new age samples sprinkled in for good measure. need a video? just smoke a joint and spend your night gathering random bullshit from youtube. guess what? now you're a fucking genius.

This is like bashing modernist painting for its lack of photorealism.

definitely not. all I'm really saying is i think this record is a cheap thrill.

That's fine, I get that too but I think it's intentional, the way it suggests things that it doesn't deliver. I think most will agree he has been a lousy interviewee lately but this bit from FACT was clear to me:

This mischievous streak appears to be a recurring theme – when I ask if R Plus Seven could be considered a concept album, Lopatin reveals “it’s more meant to feel like one than actually be one … like who has ever actually listened to The Dark Side of the Moon and actually thought they knew what, like honestly really knew what the fuck the record was about or whatever, including Pink Floyd. It’s a joke.”

am I banned yet?

edit: OPN best artist R+7 madgood 10/10 fuck everything

edit: lush

edit: we love you all

edit: I got an album comin out soon look for me brahs peace luv

edit: idk

edit: last post

i hope that pensis is yours, salvyboy. if i had the brain power, id deliver my analysis as well, but i tend to agree with

Ascdi

Afrokibas or whatever, is turning as irrelevant as his favorite band is. lol.

Being annoyed on a stylistic level means having some deep assumptions challenged and general world-view fucked with. If a work in question was simply 'bad' i.e. amateurish and poorly executed, then it wouldn't be very annoying. Poorly executed works are easy to dismiss and quickly move on from without much of an impression being left - not annoying enough to post about.

Guest Rulohead32

okay I think this is the point where I happily say goodbye to watmm and embrace the rest of the electronic musics diskusion of the internets because fuck if this thread hasn't been filled with pages and pages of the most appallingly boring armchair commentary on an electronic music record ever.

last post

[giant dick picture]

1) OK YOu know what?That warning point I have is for posting a very much smaller dick than the one you posted inside a vinyl that RDJ was holding. So take it down before a mod sees or if the mod doesn't take it down well then my warning point IS NOT FAIR

2) FOR FUCKS SAKE I WAS IN CLASS WHILE SCROLLING DOWN THIS TOPIC IN MY MOBILE PHONE, sure all my classmates saw the giant dick -__-

Guest Rulohead32

2) FOR FUCKS SAKE I WAS IN CLASS WHILE SCROLLING DOWN THIS TOPIC IN MY MOBILE PHONE, sure all my classmates saw the giant dick -__-

sometimes idm can be extreme.

extreme as l-event or extreme as "not fake extreme"?

Guest Rulohead32

its not a sexually dick its a science dick. no problem

This is the argument I'm going with when work asks me why there's a giant dick in my Chrome history.

i think it would be easier if you said "im gay" lol

Guest Popemobile v2

For the blokes who have this on CD, is the album artwork/packaging anything special? I tried to find images on Discogs, but nothing is uploaded there for the album, yet. I'm a bit torn on whether to get the CD or just get the thing digitally on Bleep. (Aside: it would be cool if Bleep started offering the 24 bit things in FLAC. Honestly, the "benefit" to 24 bit is mostly or entirely placebo effect, and having to convert the *big* 24 bit WAVE files to FLAC is not something that encourages such purchases, IMO.)

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking. The word has been applied to a growing range of products including consumer, automobiles, and some stock trading practices. At times, vendors are criticized for intentionally producing vaporware in order to keep customers from switching to competitive products that offer more features.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Archived