IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

Anonymous 2012-09-17 03:54:22 No.28306766

it's music created with the waste of modern technological capitalism, that is, jingles, different software sounds, disposable stock music, all those kind of things that make you remember a technological wasteland, a tech plastic corporate capitalist world.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zelmo Swift

Haven't read, but should be lol;

http://www.dummymag.com/features/adam-harper-vaporwave

This article had a surprisingly large impact on vaporwave as a whole. It's a really good read to be honest, but it also kind of killed it.

Also imo, vaporwave is the most aptly named genre.

Didn't they do a follow-up article where they use the genre name "Distroid" ?

James Ferraro and Fatima Al Qadiri are in that one.

I think I like Distroid more than Vaporwave, not as names but as genres.

Guest Zelmo Swift

Yeah, it's at a link at the top of the page, although nobody actually says "Distroid". "Future Bass" is the probably closest thing to what they are describing.

I'm all about the future bass

is future bass considered Unintelligent Dance Music?

I know what vaporware is. Not quite sure how this pertains to the music, too lazy to figure it out. Someone tell me please.

For me personally, it's like late 80s/early 90s influenced hauntology music in terms of aesthetic. The closeness to the term "vaporware" is apt. All of the dummy articles are pretty loaded in terms of analysis (including the distroid sub-genre stuff) to the point where I was dismissive of the genre intially.

This is the best summary I've seen. At it's best the genre has a far more engaging and visceral appeal in terms of nostalgia than most hauntological music but the quality is quite hit-or-miss.

I've not heard that much of this guys music and if I could be arsed would prob find it alright. but reading about his music and peoples opinions of it is more interesting to me than the music its self. Can't help thinking that's a bad sign

Vaporwave is a perfect name for the genre. It stems from chillwave (and other wave genres), and it's a perfect play on that and "vaporware". "Vaporware" brings up images of broken video games with half-finished graphics, and 90s-style websites with terrible gif text and 100% hyperlinks leading to 404 pages, the view counter maxed out, and text at the bottom that says "Last Updated: 09-10-1998". The fact that it's like the millionth "wave" genre only makes it better, and I frankly find it entirely fitting that the genre as a whole only really lasted a year.

but that's a re-appropriation (and a modern one) of what the term vaporware originally meant. Vaporware had and still has nothing to do(other than this new cultural trend) with 90s websites or half finished graphics. Vaporware was a term very specifically having to do with hardware products that were announced (many of them by videogame companies, computer companies) that had product pictures, screenshots, etc but never came out.

it may seem like the 'perfect' term now simply because it's lost it's original meaning. I don't subscribe to the new meaning of it personally, just like post Amon Tobin's Foley Room I don't subscribe to the use of 'foley' meaning any field recording.

yeah isn't vaporware just another term for development hell? wasn't the phrase coined by microsoft in the 80s? i don't understand how it has anything to do with "vaporwave", which is a fucking stupid name for a genre. almost as bad as idm.

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actuallyreleased nor officially cancelled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking. The word has been applied to a growing range of products including consumer, automobiles, and some stock trading practices. At times, vendors are criticized for intentionally producing vaporware in order to keep customers from switching to competitive products that offer more features.[1]

I take it that it's a subtle difference from "development hell" which is defined more by bureaucratic, legal, or financial setbacks and then slowly slips into a state of limbo. It's usually better documented and more transparent. Vaporware is a more specific form of development hell I suppose. Also development hell lends itself more to film industry examples.

I really can't think of a good genre descriptor honestly - chillwave was a Hipster Runoff joke. Witch-house was convenient term that was quickly latched onto by outlets like pitchfork. Vaporwave is a lame pun of vaporware but it's one that's actually kind of fitting to the genre itself - unclear and murky nostalgia based on vapid and superficial commercial aesthetics. The fact that the scene was so niche and close-knit to the point of imploding once the genre was noticed is fitting too.

Some vaporware goes hand and hand with the genre's general traits:

the-amiga-walker-pc.jpg

220936stereo10slide.jpg

AD2D5A43E21AD2E74D59636DFB5E_h498_w598_m

w1a-28288_2.jpg?resize=550%2C440

actiongamemaster.jpg

1990_Renault-Laguna_Concept_1990-02.jpg

still don't get it. i mean, i get what vaporware is, i just don't understand why a music genre is being illustrated visually. and those are all just late 80s/early 90s "future" designs, not really inherent to vaporware. all this leads me to believe, much like r plus 7, that this is a load of shit.

yeah isn't vaporware just another term for development hell? wasn't the phrase coined by microsoft in the 80s? i don't understand how it has anything to do with "vaporwave", which is a fucking stupid name for a genre. almost as bad as idm.

wait, i literally didn't know it was vapor'wave' until my wife just pointed it out. holy shit i must be autistic or something because this entire time i swear i was reading vapor'ware' wow

wait, i literally didn't know it was vapor'wave' until my wife just pointed it out. holy shit i must be autistic or something because this entire time i swear i was reading vapor'ware' wow

*dyslexic

Archived