IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's playing out here at SF at one of the most bro-y generic clubs imaginable. Interesting booking to say the least, but I can think of about 10 other venues that would have made a lot more sense. The sound will be good, but the vibe is going to be weird as fuck. venue: 1015 folsom

Alright, the jokes over guys. I'm calling everyone out on it.

OPN is a kitsch-kosmische social-wave litmus test. Who cringed first? I don't know. I know we all have by now. The trick is we can have a serious avatar to make people think we "get it," meanwhile our faces are in agony from muscle strain. It takes more muscles to frown than smile, so imagine how many it takes to cringe.

DELETE THIS THREAD NOW

he's playing out here at SF at one of the most bro-y generic clubs imaginable. Interesting booking to say the least, but I can think of about 10 other venues that would have made a lot more sense. The sound will be good, but the vibe is going to be weird as fuck. venue: 1015 folsom

He played at a 'Hip Hop' club here in Vancouver. Like you said, sound was great. The people who came out were there to see him. There wasn't any regular club crowd there that was confused or wrecking the vibe.

that's good people were there to see him. In SF sometimes these big clubs like 1015 folsom attract a lot of dot-com or in general richer people who drop $30 on a cover charge without having any idea about what type of music it will be. The bro-vibes in 1015 folsom feel more like a college dorm than an electronic music club.

Guest Gravity

Found some more videos... lovely reworks of Chrome Country & others. Surprised I haven't seen them until now. Kind of annoyed I couldn't see him near me back in October... in a church too!

chrome country

americans

problem areas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just thinking about my last post in this thread, I was really annoyed by this whole album / artist, but for some reason the weird music I get most annoyed by later turns out to be revolutionary / fresh / brilliant. Heard Replica in a recordshop while really hungover and the music was so comforting. Then after totally rinsing that album for a while I finally bought this yesterday and I must say, this should've been in my top 3 of 2013. Amazing.

Guest jasondonervan

I was just thinking about my last post in this thread, I was really annoyed by this whole album / artist, but for some reason the weird music I get most annoyed by later turns out to be revolutionary / fresh / brilliant. Heard Replica in a recordshop while really hungover and the music was so comforting. Then after totally rinsing that album for a while I finally bought this yesterday and I must say, this should've been in my top 3 of 2013. Amazing.

Definitely a grower of an album, so not surprised to read it's gone up in your estimation. For me, that was Replica... took a little while, but I got there. I expected the same with R+7, but it immediately clicked with me within my first few listens.

I personally don't understand why people here dislike him so much

I must just not "understand" r plus seven. I think it's a terrible album. I think it's less terrible now that i've listened to it a few times. But I don't understand the appeal.

Maybe it will click someday.

Guest Ron Manager

Easily the best release of 2013 for me. This was my first OPN, I'm now fairly familiar with his catalogue but this one is still far and away my favourite (the albums collected on Rifts are growing on me quickly though). Really looking forward to see where he goes from here - the Commissions tracks sound great too. Hope to see something else on the horizon in the near future...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A. modern indie-cool musician getting all sorts of critical accolades

B. doesn't sound like oldskool idm

C. in fact sounds like a lot of what was considered gauche in the days of oldskool idm

I mean I can totally understand why someone wouldn't like him or think his experimentation is pretentious or that the hype train is undeserved. Obv I disagree because OPN is one of the baddest muthas in the game right now, but I understand

http://em15.ca/en/news/609-day-by-day-performance-schedule

he's playin mutek next month but i haven't listened to any of the other people booked, not sure if I wanna lay down 160 bucks. What say you, WATMM-Os, is that lineup worth it?

I must just not "understand" r plus seven. I think it's a terrible album. I think it's less terrible now that i've listened to it a few times. But I don't understand the appeal.

you dont have to like it tho. it's not a requirement for life or anything. if you don't like it you don't like it.

I like the Rifts compilation more, but this is probably a close second with only Eccojams and That We Can Play EP competing for the next spot. Okay, so maybe that's not really "only". I really like Daniel Lopatin.

you dont have to like it tho. it's not a requirement for life or anything. if you don't like it you don't like it.

I like the Rifts compilation more, but this is probably a close second with only Eccojams and That We Can Play EP competing for the next spot. Okay, so maybe that's not really "only". I really like Daniel Lopatin.

Obviously I don't have to like it. Sometimes it's hard for an avid music listener such as myself to see universal acclaim for something that they don't understand.

My post is an invitation for someone to explain the appeal of it. Sometimes people enjoy learning about new music; learning what is likeable about it. Surely you've had albums that didn't make sense on first listen?

Why do you like it? I found 90% of it to not even be music. It was just snippets of sound like someone flipping through different radio stations. None of the songs seem to settle anywhere or have a focal point or melody/rhythm etc that bring the whole song together. It's like 40 seconds of some noises, and then 40 seconds of some other noises.

I liked Americans (specifically the last 2 minutes of it), but that was about it.

Edit: that's a lie. I liked "Along". Was the only song that seemed to develop from beginning to end. Beautiful production on that one too.

I just bought a ticket to see him at some super artsy thing in Brussels, on Record Store Day, and I'm going alone to boot. This had better be good or I'll never forgive myself for going.

Obviously I don't have to like it. Sometimes it's hard for an avid music listener such as myself to see universal acclaim for something that they don't understand.

My post is an invitation for someone to explain the appeal of it. Sometimes people enjoy learning about new music; learning what is likeable about it. Surely you've had albums that didn't make sense on first listen?

Why do you like it? I found 90% of it to not even be music. It was just snippets of sound like someone flipping through different radio stations. None of the songs seem to settle anywhere or have a focal point or melody/rhythm etc that bring the whole song together. It's like 40 seconds of some noises, and then 40 seconds of some other noises.

I liked Americans (specifically the last 2 minutes of it), but that was about it.

Edit: that's a lie. I liked "Along". Was the only song that seemed to develop from beginning to end. Beautiful production on that one too.

Understandable. I guess I could see why you would see it as "40 seconds of some noises, and then 40 seconds of some other noises", but to be honest that's sort of what I like about it. The jarring changes and random feel of it are part of what makes it what it is. It's postmodern, so it's supposed to have that mish-mash, amalgamated feel. It reminds me of browsing through the internet and looking at twelve different pages at once, each with ads popping up everywhere. Very much like the fast paced, ADHD culture that exists today. In this way it feels broken and lost, empty in some way. Also, it could help to think of even some of the punchy parts as actually being ambient, like the second half of Boring Angel; like if you consider ambient to be like landscapes, this kind of ambient is like landscapes with a bunch of circa-1985 3D rendered polygons floating around. It is also ironic in a sense; many of the sounds are purposefully silly or cheesy - as Cryptowen stated, it's somewhat gauche. It's very similar to other artists in that sense, like VHS Head, which is made of cut up VHS samples from really low budget horror films.

edit:

reworded some shit

Does it remind of you of prefuse 73 in some ways? I found his albums to be like that. I like your description of it, likening it to ADHD. It's funny you say that because when I'm on WATMM, I'm usually clicking back and forth between this, my homework, my e-mail, and facebook an unreasonable amount of times. It's actually disgusting and even though I know I'm doing it, I can't help it.

You've possibly given me new vantage point to explore when I re-listen to the album, thanks.

It's similar to Prefuse's Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian album in how it changes randomly, which is also one of my favorite albums ever. Although this album has more dynamics and fades in and out frequently, whereas Apmexian is an all-out assault on the ears for the most part, which is good for different reason.

Archived