IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest jbartee

sorry to revive this thread, but I wonder if any of you folks who own this on vinyl could help me out.

I've gone through two copies of this now, and on each copy the first half of side C is pretty badly distorted. It's particularly bad on the bass notes in Along —loud crackling distortion in both channels. I actually recorded each copy digitally to compare, and the distortion is in fact identical, crackle-for-crackle, across both copies. The distortion will actually flange if you play them at the same time.

I'm wondering if this run was just pressed from a bad master, or if there's something the matter with my setup. Can anyone confirm this problem? I can upload some samples somewhere if necessary.

It's weird. several months later and several focused attempts at appreciating this album and I still think it's pretentious rubbish.

=/

f u alco

lol alco as in alcoholic?

Not anymore. Thanks though?

I get it, not all music is for everyone, I won't drop by the thread just to bash it anymore. It could just be something I need to come back in a few years. I can live with that for sure. I didn't get autechre my first time around either. :happy:

sorry to revive this thread, but I wonder if any of you folks who own this on vinyl could help me out.

I've gone through two copies of this now, and on each copy the first half of side C is pretty badly distorted. It's particularly bad on the bass notes in Along —loud crackling distortion in both channels. I actually recorded each copy digitally to compare, and the distortion is in fact identical, crackle-for-crackle, across both copies. The distortion will actually flange if you play them at the same time.

I'm wondering if this run was just pressed from a bad master, or if there's something the matter with my setup. Can anyone confirm this problem? I can upload some samples somewhere if necessary.

i downloaded a vinyl rip of "along" from a certain website, sounds perfectly clean.

Guest jbartee

i downloaded a vinyl rip of "along" from a certain website, sounds perfectly clean.

okay, thanks! I guess that means there are at least some good copies out there. Maybe there was just a bad batch recently.

Or maybe there is something going wrong with my system. But it's strange to hear completely identical distortion on two copies. Implies to me there is something the matter with the original plates.

okay, thanks! I guess that means there are at least some good copies out there. Maybe there was just a bad batch recently.

Or maybe there is something going wrong with my system. But it's strange to hear completely identical distortion on two copies. Implies to me there is something the matter with the original plates.

Mine sounds fine, I'm playing the C side right now.

Guest jbartee

Mine sounds fine, I'm playing the C side right now.

If you don't mind me asking, when / where did you buy your copy?

Here's what I'm hearing btw:

It alternates copy 1 and copy 2 for the first four repetitions. Then repetition 5 has both copies playing simultaneously.

It's weird. several months later and several focused attempts at appreciating this album and I still think it's pretentious rubbish.

=/

I don't think it's pretentious rubbish but I don't get it at all, same with Replica. I love Returnal though :psyduck:

If you don't mind me asking, when / where did you buy your copy?

Here's what I'm hearing btw:

It alternates copy 1 and copy 2 for the first four repetitions. Then repetition 5 has both copies playing simultaneously.

From Bleep, reasonably sure I pre-ordered it too.

Just to be sure I checked again after hearing your clips, but mine doesn't crackle that badly anywhere in Along or that whole side for that matter.

Maybe you're on to something and it's a worn stamper on later issues, or it could be your stylus mistracking the loud basses I guess.

Guest trananhhung

Just came from the Oneothrix gig at the Union Chapel and I've got to say it was one of the nicest concerts I've seen in years.

totally not related to your question, but shit dude do you have one of those NES eurorack things? How are they?

. Implies to me there is something the matter with the original plates.

that would be the most likely possibility, and maybe Warp repressed it without making it too obvious somewhere along the line which is why some copies dont have it

only 90's kids can listen to this

its an interesting statement. For decades Tangerine Dream was considered kind of cheese ball and not electronic music to be taken seriously like Kraftwerk or Cluster, and this is the case with most of the people I know who are my age, kids of the 80s. I always thought it was weird though since TD evokes such extreme nostaglia becaue of all the 80s movies they scored. Anyways I would credit OPN for making that style of sound (masturbatory but good sounding minimalist synth arpeggios) cool again, now Tangerine Dream is sort of respectable again, and for kids of the 90s, probably none of them had any built in hostility towards Tangerine Dream, its a perfect fit. The newer stuff (r+7) is arguably equally as evocative of a different era of 'cheesy' new age synth music post analog synthesis, as Alco pointed out its very Claude Larson, but also playing off other tropes like Art of Noise vocal stabs, Kate Bush's productions.

Guest jbartee

totally not related to your question, but shit dude do you have one of those NES eurorack things? How are they?

. Implies to me there is something the matter with the original plates.

that would be the most likely possibility, and maybe Warp repressed it without making it too obvious somewhere along the line which is why some copies dont have it

That's what I'm thinking. I wrote Warp about it the other day, I'll post back here if I get a response.

re: Ming Mecca, I'm actually it's designer! So I would say it's quite good but I'm obviously pretty biased :p

Guest jbartee

Thanks! Analogue Haven has all the stock right now. If you're ever in santa monica you could probably demo one if you dropped by the store. Would be good to shoot Shawn an email first though, since it's on the esoteric side they may not have one set up in the demo rig by default.

Archived