IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gravity

Well, that was delightfully odd. Seems like the perfect time to finally dive into all his releases.

Love it. I think I saw a chopped up EPYX logo in there.

Aye, I noticed there'e also a variation of the Chrono Trigger logo modified to appear as - Chrono Endurance

The sound (and actually visuals in some ways) reminded me of Lifeforms era FSOL, especially the first half

I could easily imagine it appearing in the middle of this video -

Aye, I noticed there'e also a variation of the Chrono Trigger logo modified to appear as - Chrono Endurance

The sound (and actually visuals in some ways) reminded me of Lifeforms era FSOL, especially the first half

I like that evokes multiple things, I felt the same way about the album cover too.

It looks like a collection of banners that share the word Chrono, i.e.

"CHRONO"

"Chrono Crusade"

"ChronoShark: The Watch Deal A Day Site"

"Endurance Chrono"

"Chronotrack Systems"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronos

:cat:

I couldn't really be fucked to freeze frame and look at what all the other (non-Chrono ones) are but another theme might be "Cryo"? Both would fit the track title I suppose.

Guest jasondonervan

Seeing MTV logos in old videos like this make me both happy and sad. If there were any justice in the world we'd be watching the modern day equivalent of Toby Amies conducting an awkward interview with OPN as part of Alternative Nation.

I couldn't really be fucked to freeze frame and look at what all the other (non-Chrono ones) are but another theme might be "Cryo"? Both would fit the track title I suppose.

The first batch are Chrono-variants and the next say Crypt

http://warp.net/records/oneohtrix-point-never/r-plus-seven-september

however the new record is a major departure from previous work. Lopatin’s experimental inclinations lurk behind the scenes - in the concepts and procedures he adopts to create the tracks - while the music itself comes as close as Lopatin has ever gotten to anything resembling traditional song structure.

Hmm, so is gonna be more Ford & Lopatin than OPN ?

I don't think so, I hope not anyway, but I doubt he'd make a "OPN" album that was closer to Ford and Lopatin's sound. Ford and Lopatin and Games is straight-up pop made with vintage equipment with a lot of influences trickled in. I bet it's going to be OPN grounded with more structure and patterns in the compositions, maybe some percussion or singing.

Love the artwork, hauntological goodness (imo):

WARPCD240_Packshot_480.jpg

I don't know shit about art, but this immediately made me think of de Chirico.

Out of my depth:

Oneohtrix-Point-Never-R-Plus-Seven-608x6

I can see that, especially in the texture. Again, reminds me of many things:

- Futurist aesthetics (especially Russian futurism)

- early 3D computer graphics

- Edward Hopper, but that's probably just because I'm a fan

- 70s era animation color tones

Office_in_a_small_city_hopper_1953.jpg

- A plethora of late 80s/early 90s aesthetic - especially in video game settings, corporate and mainstream aesthetics in fashion and advertisements, etc. (Vaporwave fodder) - R Plus Seven seems to evoke this and older artwork of surrealism and futurism all at the same time. It's like a snapshot of inside the building of some minimalist world.

http://warp.net/records/oneohtrix-point-never/r-plus-seven-september

however the new record is a major departure from previous work. Lopatin’s experimental inclinations lurk behind the scenes - in the concepts and procedures he adopts to create the tracks - while the music itself comes as close as Lopatin has ever gotten to anything resembling traditional song structure.

Hmm, so is gonna be more Ford & Lopatin than OPN ?

I don't think so, I hope not anyway, but I doubt he'd make a "OPN" album that was closer to Ford and Lopatin's sound. Ford and Lopatin and Games is straight-up pop made with vintage equipment with a lot of influences trickled in. I bet it's going to be OPN grounded with more structure and patterns in the compositions, maybe some percussion or singing.

Love the artwork, hauntological goodness (imo):

WARPCD240_Packshot_480.jpg

I don't know shit about art, but this immediately made me think of de Chirico.

Out of my depth:

Oneohtrix-Point-Never-R-Plus-Seven-608x6

I can see that, especially in the texture. Again, reminds me of many things:

- Futurist aesthetics (especially Russian futurism)

- early 3D computer graphics

- Edward Hopper, but that's probably just because I'm a fan

- 70s era animation color tones

Office_in_a_small_city_hopper_1953.jpg

- A plethora of late 80s/early 90s aesthetic - especially in video game settings, corporate and mainstream aesthetics in fashion and advertisements, etc. (Vaporwave fodder) - R Plus Seven seems to evoke this and older artwork of surrealism and futurism all at the same time. It's like a snapshot of inside the building of some minimalist world.

suggesting other influences in r plus seven atwork like italian metaphysical art and magic realism (giorgio de chirico, carlo carrà, alberto savinio), looney tunes backgrounds and commodore cd-tv tones (dat psygnosis demos..). however the best part is the font used.

ArNl9qd.jpg

zs01MJp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pixelives

Hey Guys,

I've had a sneak preview of the new 0PN and it's probably his best work to date. A mixture of eccojams, Ford and Lopatin 80's glassy digisynths, Hecker and Lopatin postmodernist construction and sampling, and classic warm early era 0PN stuff.

Some super weird starts and stops within tracks where you don't know if it's a new track, which I kind of like and lots LOTS of choral vocal samples.

If Lopatin and Ferraro are in a competition of subverting pop samples and ideals into something extraordinary and experimental. Lopatin wins.

Guest pixelives

It's weird. But good and totally confounding. Very different process of composition from earlier LPs. Lots of weird 80's digi synth stuff coming and going a la the timbre of Ford and Lopatin, but done in a way that is super avant. Also lots of human choral samples. Tracks seem to fade away and you think it's a new song, but it's the same track you were listening to before. Less jammy, more constructed.

Serious next level shit. This, the Holden LP and BoC LP create some weird meta-narattive of our current times.

Guest bitroast

sounds excellent.

it sounds a little like the live show, but... the live show definitely had some abrasive moments that threw me off. i'm half hoping the album is a more pleasant, weirder experience : )

I really dig both artists (OPN moreso) but for the life of me I just can't get into that (Tim) Hecker/Lopatin album at all, dunno maybe I'm doing it rong so I'll keep trying I guess

Stoked for this by the sound of those website loops and plixel's description of the goods :music:

Archived