IGNORED

Is Autechre relevant anymore?

Guest xpr

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, fuck you guys. bob and sam gets better as they go along. elseq was great. You all have just too many expectations, and you wanted him to stroke your "amber" cock, but that's not where they are anymore. Geezus fucking Krist, why is this a discussion? There are no real deep insights here, only vague gestures toward feelings and what you wanted out of the album and disappointment with the hype (which was just FUN, what the fuck is wrong with that, now?!) and it's SO TIRESOME. How about this? How about you do something? How about you just put things in their proper place? It's music. It's actually good music. It's actually really good music. I check up here every once and a while because I'm hoping to hear about some news, and this forum usually delivers, but so help me is this place becomes another xltronic. Get a grip, mutherfuckers. It's not like Autechre did a fucking cheesy, lame 180 and wrote songs about "slo-mo on the dildo.." or whatever FSOL did around 2002. His music always holds up. "Oh, I didn't like the cheesy lead on 13x0 step, or the mixing on foldfree casual" Fuck off. Get a life. Goddammit. You guys are better than this.

Very well said :)

• 5 weeks later...

autechre:

> check status

CAREER: 

> status: You are now relevant.

autechre:

> look around

CAREER: 

> You are standing in a very quaint bedroom. Quite British, innit?

autechre:

> i

CAREER:

> Inventory: You are carrying [sEAN'S KNIFE] "Cannot be used unless you are standing in an alley and CAREER is over". [MARMITE] "Find out who loves it or hates it." [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK] "An old notebook containing contact information of fellow musicians you have met during CAREER. Good to impress groupies with." [bULL WALLET] "I don't get it".

autechre:

> look west

CAREER: 

> This side of the room is filled with big beat making machines to make your big beats with. Your random music generator is currently rendering. Best leave it alone for now.

auteche:

> look east

CAREER:

> You see a table with Rob's laptop. A website has been opened. It seems Sean has been using Rob's account to aggravate a music making forum again. The moderators have been alerted. Best leave it alone for now.

autechre:

> look south

CAREER:

> You see a door with a lock. The lock has a Warp logo and a timer. The timer will end in 17 seconds, 47 minutes, 22 hours, 19 days, 8 months and 2 years. Best leave it alone for now.

autechre:

> look northface

CAREER:

> You see a closet where you keep your jackets of unspecified brand. They are crudely strewn on the floor. The closet door is slightly open.

autechre:

> examine jackets

CAREER:

> Crudely strewn. Blasphemy.

autechre:

> examine closet

CAREER:

> The closet door is slightly open. You hear wheezing and the air smells greasy.

autechre:

> open door

CAREER:

> A Skrillex appears! It looks like he means business.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CARREER:

> Skrillex has a circling hord of fans that prevent examining.

> Skrillex uses [bZZRRT] sound

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Popularity

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Press Attention

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Fans

> Skrillex damages you with -19.944 Popularity

> Skrillex damages you with -47.409 Press Attention

> Skrillex damages you with          -1 Fan

autechre:

> use big beat machine

CAREER:

> Your random music generator is currently rendering. Best leave it alone for now.

> Skrillex uses [WOB] sound four times

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Chance Of Mislabeling Other Music As Dubstep

> Skrillex damages you with -19.740 Popularity

> Skrillex damages you with          -7 Fans

> Skrillex damages you with +91.663 Chance Of Being Mislabled As Dubstep 

> <WARNING: STATUS [relevant] IS IN DANGER>

autechre:

> use laptop+google:autechre songs

CAREER:

> The moderators have turned on searchlights and released guard dogs. Best leave it alone for now.

> Skrillex pays [JOURNALIST] to drop the word "avant-garde" in an article.

> Skrillex gains          +17 Popularity

> Skrillex gains            +3 Fans

> Skrillex loses    -80.500 Credibility

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Angry Internet Threads

> Skrillex damages you with     -1.993 Popularity

> Skrillex damages you with -105.000 Internet Attention

> Skrillex damages you with   +79.000 Intellectual Embarrassment

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 24% Complete.

autechre:

> use [MARMITE]

> Skrillex seems to love it. His fans seem to hate it.

> You have damaged Skrillex with -150.000 fans.

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with smearing [MARMITE] on everything.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> His horde of fans have been diminished, but there are still plenty that prevent examining.

> Skrillex has depleted [MARMITE]

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 57% Complete.

autechre:

> use [bULL WALLET]

> Skrillex seems to get it. His fans don't. Skrillex tries to explain.

> You have damaged Skrillex with -149.982 Fans

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with bemusedly looking at printed ms-paintings and photoshops that are stashed in [bULL WALLET].

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> His horde of fans have been diminished, but there are still plenty that prevent examining.

> Skrillex has depleted [bULL WALLET]

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 74% Complete.

autechre:

> use [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]

> Skrillex freezes, stutters, sweats and shakes as he is overjoyed with excitement to finally have the personal information of his favourite musicians in his hands. His fans have no idea who any of these fucking old guys are and start to realize he's a dork.

> You have damaged Skrillex with -142 Fans

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with franatically copying every information from [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]. He is currently at Aphex Twin.

> Skrillex damages himself with -112 Fans.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with franatically copying every information from [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]. He is currently at Boards Of Canada.

> Skrillex damages himself with -89 Fans.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> His horde of fans has been greatly diminished, but there are still a few that prevent examining.

> Skrillex is preoccupied with franatically copying every information from [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]. He is currently at Venetian Snares.

> Skrillex damages himself with -17 Fans.

> Skrillex has no more fans.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> He seems rather frail.

> Skrillex has depleted [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 96% Complete.

autechre:

> push Skrillex

CAREER:

> Skrillex falls over and sheds a single tear before he hits the ground and shatters into a thousand pieces.

> CONGRATULATIONS. You have defeated Skrillex. You gain some of his experience.

> you have gained +300.000 Fame

> you have gained +150.000 Marketing Manipulation

> you have gained +100.000 Hairstyle Inventiveness

> you have gained           +4  Producers

> you have gained           +1  Experience.

> CONGRATULATIONS. You have gained a level. Check your status to see your progress.

> CONGRATULATIONS. You have saved CAREER. For now.

autechre:

> check status

CAREER:

> You are now L-Event.

bump for best post on the i n t e r n e t

I’m not drunk you’re drunk

To be fair, you have to have a very high iq to understand they've released around 14hrs of new material since then.

But yeah, it would be nice to have a new 'album' album

yeah.. totally aware of that.. just thinking.. about the normal routine of album -> ep etc..  el seq is something else of course.. "we don't know what it is" or something. 

• 7 months later...

autechre:

> check status

CAREER: 

> status: You are now relevant.

autechre:

> look around

CAREER: 

> You are standing in a very quaint bedroom. Quite British, innit?

autechre:

> i

CAREER:

> Inventory: You are carrying [sEAN'S KNIFE] "Cannot be used unless you are standing in an alley and CAREER is over". [MARMITE] "Find out who loves it or hates it." [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK] "An old notebook containing contact information of fellow musicians you have met during CAREER. Good to impress groupies with." [bULL WALLET] "I don't get it".

autechre:

> look west

CAREER: 

> This side of the room is filled with big beat making machines to make your big beats with. Your random music generator is currently rendering. Best leave it alone for now.

auteche:

> look east

CAREER:

> You see a table with Rob's laptop. A website has been opened. It seems Sean has been using Rob's account to aggravate a music making forum again. The moderators have been alerted. Best leave it alone for now.

autechre:

> look south

CAREER:

> You see a door with a lock. The lock has a Warp logo and a timer. The timer will end in 17 seconds, 47 minutes, 22 hours, 19 days, 8 months and 2 years. Best leave it alone for now.

autechre:

> look northface

CAREER:

> You see a closet where you keep your jackets of unspecified brand. They are crudely strewn on the floor. The closet door is slightly open.

autechre:

> examine jackets

CAREER:

> Crudely strewn. Blasphemy.

autechre:

> examine closet

CAREER:

> The closet door is slightly open. You hear wheezing and the air smells greasy.

autechre:

> open door

CAREER:

> A Skrillex appears! It looks like he means business.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CARREER:

> Skrillex has a circling hord of fans that prevent examining.

> Skrillex uses [bZZRRT] sound

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Press Attention

> Skrillex damages you with -19.944 Popularity

> Skrillex damages you with -47.409 Press Attention

> Skrillex damages you with          -1 Fan

autechre:

> use big beat machine

CAREER:

> Your random music generator is currently rendering. Best leave it alone for now.

> Skrillex uses [WOB] sound four times

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Chance Of Mislabeling Other Music As Dubstep

> Skrillex damages you with -19.740 Popularity

> Skrillex damages you with          -7 Fans

> Skrillex damages you with +91.663 Chance Of Being Mislabled As Dubstep 

> <WARNING: STATUS [relevant] IS IN DANGER>

autechre:

> use laptop+google:autechre songs

CAREER:

> The moderators have turned on searchlights and released guard dogs. Best leave it alone for now.

> Skrillex pays [JOURNALIST] to drop the word "avant-garde" in an article.

> Skrillex gains          +17 Popularity

> Skrillex gains            +3 Fans

> Skrillex loses    -80.500 Credibility

> Skrillex gains +150.000 Angry Internet Threads

> Skrillex damages you with     -1.993 Popularity

> Skrillex damages you with -105.000 Internet Attention

> Skrillex damages you with   +79.000 Intellectual Embarrassment

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 24% Complete.

autechre:

> use [MARMITE]

> Skrillex seems to love it. His fans seem to hate it.

> You have damaged Skrillex with -150.000 fans.

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with smearing [MARMITE] on everything.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> Skrillex has depleted [MARMITE]

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 57% Complete.

autechre:

> use [bULL WALLET]

> Skrillex seems to get it. His fans don't. Skrillex tries to explain.

> You have damaged Skrillex with -149.982 Fans

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with bemusedly looking at printed ms-paintings and photoshops that are stashed in [bULL WALLET].

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> Skrillex has depleted [bULL WALLET]

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 74% Complete.

autechre:

> use [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]

> Skrillex freezes, stutters, sweats and shakes as he is overjoyed with excitement to finally have the personal information of his favourite musicians in his hands. His fans have no idea who any of these fucking old guys are and start to realize he's a dork.

> You have damaged Skrillex with -142 Fans

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with franatically copying every information from [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]. He is currently at Aphex Twin.

> Skrillex damages himself with -112 Fans.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> Skrillex is preoccupied with franatically copying every information from [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]. He is currently at Boards Of Canada.

> Skrillex damages himself with -89 Fans.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> His horde of fans has been greatly diminished, but there are still a few that prevent examining.

> Skrillex is preoccupied with franatically copying every information from [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]. He is currently at Venetian Snares.

> Skrillex damages himself with -17 Fans.

> Skrillex has no more fans.

autechre:

> examine Skrillex

CAREER:

> He seems rather frail.

> Skrillex has depleted [CRUSTY NOTEBOOK]

> >>>WARNING<<< Skrillex is preparing [THE DROP]. Cresendo 96% Complete.

autechre:

> push Skrillex

CAREER:

> Skrillex falls over and sheds a single tear before he hits the ground and shatters into a thousand pieces.

> CONGRATULATIONS. You have defeated Skrillex. You gain some of his experience.

> you have gained +300.000 Fame

> you have gained +150.000 Marketing Manipulation

> you have gained +100.000 Hairstyle Inventiveness

> you have gained           +4  Producers

> you have gained           +1  Experience.

> CONGRATULATIONS. You have gained a level. Check your status to see your progress.

> CONGRATULATIONS. You have saved CAREER. For now.

autechre:

> check status

CAREER:

> You are now L-Event.

Truly a post to aspire to.

• 4 weeks later...

Autechre are the only musicians left that I look forward to their next release 100%. They're all puzzles that are a joy to try and solve. Music is becoming more ephemeral in nature now and their latest releases have been not only acknowledging that but finding a niche in it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2015 at 2:14 PM, dr lopez said:

This thread is funny and I don't want to be a downer-mcfrowner over here and harsh the vibe. But I probably will anyway.

I really *really* HATE the "the music is relevant to me/important to me so who cares if it is to anyone else" argument. Because it's not an argument. It's not anything. It's just covering your eyes and ears and saying I LIKE AUTECHRE over and over. This is especially frustrating when one person, regardless of how they went about asking, was trying to start a discussion not about how you don't care, but how you believe Autechre are perceived culturally, collectively, and socially. That is an interesting and important question, ignoring HOW INCORRECTLY THE WORD RELEVANT OMG is used. This "I don't care what others think", the neckbeard argument, is so disrespectful and unhelpful and anti-intellectual I believe it has actually caused a wide-spread lack of critical analysis of this music that we all love and that frankly is so unique, challenging and forward-thinking it deserves a strong critical, formal analysis by important and talented music critics. Whether that is Anthony Fantano or not is another issue.

If you think that discussing the perception of Autechre's music by a wider audience is unimportant, not necessary, or even that Sean and Rob don't think about it (which is such a lol because they do) then I ask why are you on a social message board about discussing Autechre's music? If you truly think it's important just to you and "who cares" about what others think then leave and listen to ae in your room please and don't bother the people who do want to have a discussion.

ANYWAY

I think Autechre are some of the most brilliant musicians in the last 20-30 years and certainly exist on the limits of musical invention and innovation. They quite simply made music that had sounded like nothing before it. OP you asked about their perception in a larger sphere of electronic music. I think Autechre are pretty much flag-bearers of electronic music and and ranked fairly high and understood to be important by fans of techno, house, IDM, ambient. Their reputation is secure.

I think if you moved your scope outside of the tiny niche that is "electronic music" and tried to place Autechre in the LONG LONG trajectory of "music" or "western music" I think Ae surpass every single electronic musician ever and belong on a short list of formal innovators of music like beethoven, charles ives, the beatles...

Technical innovations, as with most art forms, drive stylistic and formal changes in the music. This is no clearer than in the 20th century. The invention of the saxophone certainly stands out as a technical innovation that eventually lead to its adoption in jazz bands in the 20s and the rest is history. But often historical narrative and critics respond best not to the innovators and inventors but rather the creative artists who understood their potential and used them as part of a larger musical context that can be understood by nontechnical listeners. Coltrane played what many would call completely random notes or even just gestural sounds on the tenor which alone would not add up to much. Maybe him just warming up. He put these gestures inside the musical context of a post-bob jazz quartet and listeners are able to make that conceptual leap with him - ok so this jazz is less about fitting fast notes into a series of pre-determined scales but rather a using sound shapes and gestures to express a mood or emotional movement. Ornette Coleman does this best with Lonely Woman. There are sections to the piece, there is jazz drumming, some recognizable bass - but he's mostly his sax sound to quite literally evoke the piece's title. less about a series of notes, more about sound and timbre.

I think Brian Eno, with his use of "the studio" and studio production techniques as something not just to alter, edit and improve a recorded instrument but to function as an instrument itself sits on the same trajectory. Studios can not only create songs or pieces of music but they can create musical spaces and sound landscapes, that don't obey traditional song structure or length. They theoretically don't even have to end - they could loop or change forever. That to me in an incredibly fascinating formal shift in musical thought that was brought on by technical innovations in recording techniques and sound synthesis. Eno however always fit this music into a larger musical context - fantastic soundscapes like In Dark Trees were placed next to quite traditional songs like I'll Come Running - allowing listeners to connect with both and understand the formal contrast between the two. If he had just cranked out Ambient 4 without drawing attention to what he was doing I think very few would have noticed, cared or understood.

I so often get frustrated at experimental composers and experimental electronic musicians who just take one technical innovation and pursue it down a rabbit hole. A lot of Lucier, Wolff, Braxton is like this - almost a crazy for crazy's sake without taking the effort to really assemble the music back into a somewhat understandable and legible musical context. So many early electronic music experimenters are like this too. Random assemblages of electronic sound with very little structure or cohesion.

Not only does Autechre represent a certain pinnacle of deconstruction and disassociation from the traditional timbres and sounds of instruments as instruments, which as we all know is the one of the main technical innovations of electronic music, but Ae's later work is even a disassociation from synthesizers as "note-playing" instruments in favor of pure, elemental sound creation. Syro was fucking great but it's all about the synths playing notes. Gantz Graf is.... something else entirely.

Now you can say sure, but merzbow is all these things - timbre over tone, sound over harmony, soundscape over song, but I think it's Autechre's incredible ability to ride that fine line - they always give us a larger musical context and that we understand so we can begin to comprehend their genius. We understand their work as "music" and not as assemblages of random sound which are then labelled as music. Autechre come from the techno tradition (lol but yeah) as opposed to the classical western composition tradition like early electronic music composers like cage and xenakis, their musical structure derives from repeated rhythms as opposed to harmonic progressions. I believe this to be crucial and what sets them apart not only from their contemporaries but also earlier innovators. I don't know any other music group that uses rhythm in such an innovative, creative and emotional way. Ipatial Section is a good example. It's just in 4/4 time but the syncopation and interplay between the rhythmic elements in that first 3 minutes is enough to give any drummer a massive sweatpants boner. Presciely because we understand it's rhythmic structure as 4/4 time is why to me Autechre are complete geniuses and a very talented drummer like Glenn Kotche performing an hour-long free-form drum show isn't.

Innovative, emotional rhythmic work combined with technical sound wizardry and an abandonment of traditional musical song structures and harmonies? Sounds like a fuckin winner to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok i'll shut up now lol this is such a rambling post.

*listens to v-proc*

Autechre are certainly creative, but I think you're giving them a little too much credit here.  They weren't the first to use electronic sound the way that they do; the timbres that they utilize come largely from their influences.  Compare to a piece like Eleventh Vortex by Curtis Roads or Things We Never Had by Coil, and it's very clear how these pieces helped to steer the Autechre sound in the directions that it went over the following decade.  The sonic overstimulation, too, of Gantz Graf can be heard in Xenakis' Persepolis or maybe in Dolden's L'ivress de la Vitesse.  Autechre are notable for their fusion of cutting-edge electronic experimentation with hip hop rhythms, but it's grossly inaccurate to act as if they invented the genre of computer music.

Archived