IGNORED

Is Autechre relevant anymore?

Guest xpr

OP should be pleased as Autechre do seem more relevant now than when the thread began. Over the last 5 years they've found themselves a new audience & influence. You often used to get the sense they were treated as a more esoteric synonym for afx, but that afx:ae mentions ratio isn't as severe and is more nuanced than it once was.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fucking hell there's some proper ego-masturbation in this thread. "Music is only worthwhile if it is considered relevant by those who consider it on an intellectual level".

Fucking listen to it and appreciate how it makes you feel. If wider social context is in any way important your appreciation of music then you aren't actually taking on board the music, you are taking on board the opinions of others. Music is sound. Have your own opinions on that sound. Don't spend your life considering what others believe is critically important or not, that's the most self-sabotagingly shallow thing you can do.

well, I also believe that this thread was born as a joke, anyway, I agree that the fact that something is or is not relevant to others is totally irrelevant to me. Having said that, beyond the comparison with other things in terms of "better or worse", it is not even wrong to try to frame a phenomenon in its context. Wondering about the role or relevance that Ae (or anything else) have in the music scene today, and in what context, it can still be interesting and legitimate.

Yes yes, I know, I was pompous and formally rigid. When it happens I can't suppress myself  :cerious:

On 5/17/2020 at 5:02 AM, Roo said:

OP should be pleased as Autechre do seem more relevant now than when the thread began. Over the last 5 years they've found themselves a new audience & influence. You often used to get the sense they were treated as a more esoteric synonym for afx, but that afx:ae mentions ratio isn't as severe and is more nuanced than it once was.

When I say I listen to Autechre to other electronic fans (younger than most people here I'd assume) I often get a response along the lines of "Oh that band that sounds like Aphex Twin." Maybe it's my fault for talking with dumbasses, but I'd say that stigma is certainly still a thing especially within more general electronic music discussions.

Spoiler

It's actually why I really like WATMM over something like an electronic music discord server. Everyone here generally knows quite a bit about electronic music. Typically more than I do. Which is nice! It's fun to go thru old threads and get new info.

18 hours ago, timbre monke said:

Who said that? I'ma bitch-slap them.

This quote is specifically from a friend of mine, but I've seen similar statements from several individuals online.

10 hours ago, KingBo0 said:

When I say I listen to Autechre to other electronic fans (younger than most people here I'd assume) I often get a response along the lines of "Oh that band that sounds like Aphex Twin." Maybe it's my fault for talking with dumbasses, but I'd say that stigma is certainly still a thing especially within more general electronic music discussions.

Reveal hidden contents

It's actually why I really like WATMM over something like an electronic music discord server. Everyone here generally knows quite a bit about electronic music. Typically more than I do. Which is nice! It's fun to go thru old threads and get new info.

Oh certainly, but the tide is discernibly turning. It was even worse a decade ago. I'm surprised that ae are as well known in 2020 as they are, even if still niche.

8:04 PM
“Still relevant”

“Music is sound”

“Read the rules”

“All end or nothing”

“Your replies have been merged”

“Sean pls”

17 hours ago, KingBo0 said:

This quote is specifically from a friend of mine, but I've seen similar statements from serval individuals online.

Well what do you expect from Servals?

20 hours ago, KingBo0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Went to see Plaid on my birthday last year with a friend, wore my Aphex logo t-shirt, passed some dudes sitting outside the venue on the floor and one of them gave me a thumbs up and went "Yeeaah, Autechre!" My friend and I got a good chuckle out of that.

47 minutes ago, t yst r said:

You have to admit, the idm's are confusing. The Twin, the 'boys', the 'brothers'... no wonder people mix them up.

And that's not even counting the Jenkinsonsensens ... uh, I guess.

23 minutes ago, IDEM said:

And that's not even counting the Jenkinsonsensens ... uh, I guess.

Aye, and all those Andy's, Ed's, Chris's, Luke's, Tom's and Rob's. It's a madhouse :wtf:

1 hour ago, auxien said:

they should all do a round-robin and swap partners/aliases for a SKAM album or something

SKAM pls

this is a great idea. But only for duos. 
im thinking a mishmash of Ae/BOC/Plaid/Funkstorung/Phoenecia/mouse on mars/etc

Archived