the XX

Neon Indian

The Knife

Deerhunter

and more!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whose more influential and/or relevant these days?

relevant to what? relevant is like if a news story is relevant to a particular community that it's catered to.. ae's music is catered the idm community, so of course it's relevant lol

ae not influential? .. probably the most influential in fact.

have you heard kanye's new album?

op's gotta be trollin..

Sony Records, American Eagle Outfitters & WARP presents:

WATMM RELEVANCE TOUR 2014

ft.

John Legend

Daft Punk

Snoop Lion

Boards of Canada

Of Monsters and Men

Four Tet

Burial

the XX

Neon Indian

The Knife

Deerhunter

and more!

lol

Kicking ass and being awesome is losing relevance. How will Autechre fare in these unenlightened times? Stay tuned for more.

Right question is this, is Autechre relevant to a culture of irrelevant music?

And here's the answer:

Autechre doesn't need to be a part of any social phenomena because they have accumulated an adult fan base who have assimilated the music into their lives over 2 decades

(going for a 'Best Answer by IOS' here)

After hard work and devotion, I've managed to set aside approximately 96% of my personal opinion, with the rest 4% saturating like fat whilst I type these words.

Your approach on the subject matter is rather 'irrelevant' (read: 'incorrect'). This is 2013 - It is not a question of whether Autechre's music is "relevant anymore"; the *real* question is whether today's Larger Cultural Context is any 'relevant' to (read: 'any good for') Autechre's music. It isn't.

(going for a 'Best Answer by IOS' here)

Automatically disqualified

:( Was it mentioned somewhere in the rules and I missed it?

Guest Rulohead32

ke$ha is relevant

i think

Don't worry man, its a bit of a baptism of fire here and it was quite a loaded opening gambit. I think IOS (despite being automatically disqualified) was closest to the mark. I think the term 'relevant' was the problematic choice of wording, were you getting at popularity (popularity in the mainstream, popularity in the electronic scene), cultural awareness, influence, aptitude ?

No i'm not trolling.

I'm apparently and legitimately this stupid.

Thanks everyone

dude, no worries (: it's all in good fun.. most watmmers are pretty hardcore abt idm artists and so it's kinda expected that ppl will be taken back if something negative is posted about say, autechre for example.. this board is very witty fyi.. nothing but love for fellow music lovers over here.

Guest earthportal

What people here on Earth don't realize is that Autechre have been headlining festivals for years back on the planet that they came from, where the extraterrestrials (who are far more intelligent than us), love every note and tone of Autechre's many excellent albums. It's just that most humans aren't smart enough to appreciate it.

mcbpete, I guess influence and aptitude are what I'm getting at (english not being my first language).

Sorry if I came off as arrogant. I just want a discussion of autechres place in a larger cultural context.

IOS makes a good point, but that is also the kind of thinking i want to challenge. My perception has been precisely that autechre exists in a place of their own (as awsome and necessary as that is), but that this also might have its down side. IF IT'S TRUE, that is. Hence me asking you guys your opinions. I think it's healthy for any sub culture to examine its place in a larger context. Existing in a bubble stifles creativity,and i don't think autechre does that but i am having a hard time understanding their place right now (even though i love their recent work).

mcbpete, I guess influence and aptitude are what I'm getting at (english not being my first language).

Sorry if I came off as arrogant. I just want a discussion of autechres place in a larger cultural context.

IOS makes a good point, but that is also the kind of thinking i want to challenge. My perception has been precisely that autechre exists in a place of their own (as awsome and necessary as that is), but that this also might have its down side. IF IT'S TRUE, that is. Hence me asking you guys your opinions. I think it's healthy for any sub culture to examine its place in a larger context. Existing in a bubble stifles creativity,and i don't think autechre does that but i am having a hard time understanding their place right now (even though i love their recent work).

Personally, I can't name another artist who does what Autechre does so well.

There are very few artists who are demanding as them in terms of listening to their releases, whether it be LPs or EPs.

I think that in itself, is an achievement, especially after 20+ years.

So I guess my answer is, their relevance will more than likely lie with the fans, outwith that, I don't think it really matters.

Archived