IGNORED

Is Autechre relevant anymore?

Guest xpr

Guest WNS000

...even though the last few albums could've used a bit of editing (imo of course)...

Absolutely agreed. A lot of huge potential on Exai that could stand out after a bit of editing.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...even though the last few albums could've used a bit of editing (imo of course)...

Absolutely agreed. A lot of huge potential on Exai that could stand out after a bit of editing.

i think know what you guys mean but that type of editing is something everybody else are doing now.

but ae's way of editing is on completely diff levels cause it's not editing editing sake but more uniquely engraved to the story of a track, without making tracks overly polished. imho

I meant editing in the sense of leaving some tracks out...there's been a fair amount of tracks from the past 4-5 years that I think were weak, and that sort of thing waters down the experience for me.

Sent using magic space waves

I meant editing in the sense of leaving some tracks out...there's been a fair amount of tracks from the past 4-5 years that I think were weak, and that sort of thing waters down the experience for me.

Sent using magic space waves

I agree with you.

And I meant editing in the sense of shortening some tracks or leaving out some parts of those tracks. Not for shortening sake, but for letting only the best content of those tracks on the album (which is not the case with Exai, in my opinion). There is a bit of underdeveloped, underwhelming moments on Exai that are in a huge contrast with its best moments. There are also some compositional "mistakes", in my opinion, that are not evident with the first listening. Exai can be sometimes quantity over quality, in my opinion. Quaristice, on the other hand, was edited very well in most cases. Same goes for Draft - also very well edited.

oh those kinds of editing! youuuu, native english speakers, are speaking it overly well... :wink:

regarding the contrast, imo, music is all about contrast. in frequencies, in timbre, loudness/dynamics, attack/release, timing, melodically/harmonically ~ moods, and even in quality in some sense. it's easier to perceive something by contrasting it. lots of subjectivities, i know... but if it wasn't for objectivity art wouldn't be possible at all.

p.s. it looks like i'm opposing you much, jev, but i'm not. i (we) just like to philosophize much, right///? :beer:

oh those kinds of editing! youuuu, native english speakers, are speaking it overly well... :wink:

regarding the contrast, imo, music is all about contrast. in frequencies, in timbre, loudness/dynamics, attack/release, timing, melodically/harmonically ~ moods, and even in quality in some sense. it's easier to perceive something by contrasting it. lots of subjectivities, i know... but if it wasn't for objectivity art wouldn't be possible at all.

p.s. it looks like i'm opposing you much, jev, but i'm not. i (we) just like to philosophize much, right///? :beer:

Looks like you're doing English pretty damned well there mate :flower:

Agreed on the need for contrasts. On my Quaristice playlist, I've got Tankakern going straight into Perlence losid 2: stereo fun and quality then goes (without skipping a beat) into that low dulled eq-ed out sound, the tonal change gets me every time.

That's an odd example, I know, but everyone really needs to listen to that transition. It's killer.

xox, you are right with the contrast thing. I just don't need contrasts of quality in Ae's music. I want only their absolutely best. There is a huge amount of shit music around us so I don't need Ae to do that. Luckily, they have never released shit music.

• 1 year later...

Looks like there's pretty much the same descending trend with Squarepusher, Aphex Twin & Boards of Canada too - guess it's just a result of the rise of a bajillion other artists over the years has diluted things. Nobody is L-Event anymore

idm is so hot right now

Artificial Intelligence reunion tour coming to a football stadium near u

And I am coming! And the three other IDM/Ae fans here in Ruhrgebiet!

Ae are 100% relevant for me. Minus Quaristice.

• 3 months later...

I'm definitively in the later AE is better camp; latest AE is best. Elseq is a masterwork. Nothing else like it.

As good as early AE is, it doesn't "break" and rearrange space like later work. Also: have you noticed that earlier AE has a tendency to relish in melancholy-ish harmonies and melodies (key signatures)? Newer AE is always monstrous and never melancholy IMO

So AE is more relevant now as they create and explore uncharted territory.

Archived