IGNORED

Is Autechre relevant anymore?

Guest xpr

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they will always be relevant to producers who let their guard down enough to not be intimidated by the wizardry and instead are intrigued and curious about it. regardless of what criticisms people have Autechre is working at a very high level in a very abstract and unique place, as long as they continue this, the relevance of their music will last a while.

Well put. And agree.

Also, this thread is a lel

this thread is so much fun !!

about "relevant" i think it really depends on what this means nowadays, relevant for who ? is the question,

for people like us, the 30/40 generation probably, but for the kids not sure IDM in any ways will ever be something relevant

i played tac lacora on my brother's new stereo and he said "this is what the dubstep people are trying to make" (as in they try and fail) or something to that effect. Blasphemy but whatever I see the point. But he's not going to start listening to it any time soon

The music you choose to listen to isn't necessarily related to what you think is the best and most artistic, etc.

The music you choose to listen to isn't necessarily related to what you think is the best and most artistic, etc.

can you explain that a bit?

I specifically listen to the music that I think is the best. I wouldn't intentionally listen to music I think is "not very good".

I specifically listen to the music that I think is the best. I wouldn't intentionally listen to music I think is "not very good".

I don't even know what I meant anymore

I think the mona lisa is probably a pretty good damn painting. I couldn't make it and it took skill

But I wouldn't hang it in my house because I don't like pictures of people

I think the mona lisa is probably a pretty good damn painting. I couldn't make it and it took skill

i'm not sure you're talking just about skills but if yes i'd say that many people (today) have greater skills than da vinci and yet, they'll never be da vinci, although maybe avicii...

If you don't like pictures of people, doesn't it follow that you don't like the Mona Lisa?

You can appreciate the technicality of something without liking it, I believe.

For example I don't like most rock music but I can appreciate the skill it takes to play drums or a guitar.

does it matter whether or not autechre is "relevant?" relevant to whom? listeners just getting into electronic music? i don't think this thread is relevant really

Was talking to someone today, looked down and saw northface logo on their coat and ">look northface" popped into my head instantly. Had to violently contort my face to keep from laughing

This thread is good. Without quoting tons of shit I'll just say that I'd agree with the most of the thoughtful commentary from the past week. Autechre are enjoying themselves and even without 'popularity' they have a fair amount of recognition/respect. They're very relevant; even though the last few albums could've used a bit of editing (imo of course), they're doing whatever the hell they want that is always innovative in some way or another. Can't ask for much more out of a musician than that.

Archived