IGNORED

IDM Goes Pop?

Lane Visitor

This new MIA piece...can't help but think of Ae - Latent Quarter when I listen to it. Whether this comparison is relevant to this thread, I leave to you.
[youtubehd]cCkIYkaLBGs[/youtubehd]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not Grantz Graf.

Pretty dope tough, is as the 'Phex said on some interview, acid techno is next.

I believe he said "Acid House", but either way. Both have already happened.

IDM is still relevant you guys, I also heard that happy hardcore is the next big thing.

This new MIA piece...can't help but think of Ae - Latent Quarter when I listen to it. Whether this comparison is relevant to this thread, I leave to you.

that sounds pretty f-in good :emb:

that sounds pretty f-in good :emb:

It does sound good. I quite like her sound but MIA's voice can be rather annoying though.

Hardcore is on the way back for sure.... I expect to hear lots more footwork/half time 172jungleish bits in the coming months as well.....IDM will never come back imo, maybe some of the glitchy drums but dubstep killed it off - made experimentation mainstream, which is wicked!..... i expect grime to peak early next year and start to die to be overtaken by 130bpm techno influenced bass music... house is on the way out - thank fuck.... it seems to me that the more free flowing you are with your snares/hats/perc the more popular you will become .... loops are dead!

Hardcore is on the way back for sure.... I expect to hear lots more footwork/half time 172jungleish bits in the coming months as well.....IDM will never come back imo, maybe some of the glitchy drums but dubstep killed it off - made experimentation mainstream, which is wicked!..... i expect grime to peak early next year and start to die to be overtaken by 130bpm techno influenced bass music... house is on the way out - thank fuck.... it seems to me that the more free flowing you are with your snares/hats/perc the more popular you will become .... loops are dead!

Wow, that's a pretty strong assessment.. I definitely hear the sounds of hardcore and jungle on the way up. It's funny because the happy hardcore stuff could honestly make a comeback in a major way, because it was so unqique, but if anything I would imagine it would die out quicker than dubstep did, as will probably be pretty gimmicky. Now, a jungle/dnb phase could last much longer. I think dnb/jungle will be the future of pop at this point, and elements of grunge as well.

it's hard to imagine turning on the radio and hearing justin bieber or flo rida singing/rapping over a glossy, nuvo, yet still grungey lo-fi sounding prodigy-esque beat. it can happen, and probably will..

this quickly sparked smooth jazz/disco/funk revival in pop music is also fascinating, it's almost as if JT and bruno mars got a secret peak into daft punk's recording files and figured out.. whoa, guys, the next thing is gonna be old school disco.. start making beats like that now! lol

i think pop will continue down the vein of trap/dubstep/dnb... pop people seem to be on a half step tip atm, so expect the dnb to be drumstep (or whatever it is called!)

I get sent a lot of music and send out a lot of music so know what journalists are thinking in regards to genres... got my first hint on grime the other day when a couple of big publications were like "im getting a bit bored of all this eski stuff now...." and also Big Dada just signed Tre Mission - now that could me grime will take off in the US or it could mean that it is going mainstream and therefore into the pan (Tho Wiley is releasing grime again now, so who knows....)

New Paul Woolford (Special Request) is right hardcore-y as was some stuff Pangaea released earlier this year

Not sure happy hardcore will come back, but i may be wrong... havent heard anything on the grapevines about that - would be funny!

Might see some techno/bass pop soon tho... especially in the UK

Well said! It kind of frustrated me that there was this little talk here and there of trip hop coming back, and it just bunked or maybe there were little isolated pockets of things here and there. Heard something about Kelis and Skream collabing on dubstep stuff a while back but also planning some trip hop-ish material... There was also a rumor about Photek working with Pharell (for better or worse).. Who knows where that could go! it's interesting how acts like xx have been so influential even in commercial rnb as far as the atmopsheric/minimal vibe. it wouldnt surpirse me if the whole bristol sound came back a bit.. that revival would be pretty exciting too, that is if it didnt get too hyped. mmm smokey beats. ahh the possibilites (:

Bristol sound never died i dont think, it just changed... anything deep and dark could be considered a spin off from trip hop... look at the stuff that gets in the end of year best albums lists... pretty much dominated by atmospheric techno/bass.... Like Vessel's album from last year... smeared, dark techno/dub from bristol.... Andy Stott, Haxan Cloak etc etc all in that vein.... maybe trip hop will come back tho (i thought it would when Portishead released their last album, Tricky close behind that as well, but to no avail).... look at the boom bap revival tho, the so called Beast Coast movement from NYC - new blood in a new genre -stranger things have happened.... so it could happen, am thinking the tempo would need to be upped tho and the drum patterns changed - so maybe a dark breaks revival perhaps.... Akkord have gone pretty breaky, their new album is out soon.... think that will be a game changer all round tbh, cant wait to hear it... The Young Echo album as well, the one that just came out 'Nexus' that is prety trip hoppy... lots of slower beats on there

Interesting, never thought of how all the atmospheric bass stuff is residue of the whole early bristol sound, but it makes perfect sense... seems like so many acts in the vein of sbtrkt have been popping out, doing that dark atmospheric sound but also in a soulful/housey way.. id love to hear more people really slowing it down as you mention. on the other hand, i could also definitely use some dark cold breaks but injected with a lil something something.. like some black sun empire with touches of jazz or dreampop or something. it seems like a lotta new electronic arts are staying in this safe zone, tempo and rhythm wise, like kind of a hybrid of grooves.. like kinda house but also kinda garagey but kinda this, kinda that.. i wanna hear some extremes, like go suuper slow and trip me out or go crazy fast and shatter my skull! lol

oops accidentally marked this post as "the best answer", didnt mean to do that everyone haha

IDM is not mainstream by any stretch, but to me, it seems very popular amongst new users of the internet who seem to be oblivious to the fact that the internet is mainstream in an of itself. case in point www.idmforums.com

there is a difference between something being popular and something being mainstream. IDM is most definitely "popular."

Wow, that's a pretty strong assessment.. I definitely hear the sounds of hardcore and jungle on the way up. It's funny because the happy hardcore stuff could honestly make a comeback in a major way, because it was so unqique, but if anything I would imagine it would die out quicker than dubstep did, as will probably be pretty gimmicky. Now, a jungle/dnb phase could last much longer. I think dnb/jungle will be the future of pop at this point, and elements of grunge as well.

it's hard to imagine turning on the radio and hearing justin bieber or flo rida singing/rapping over a glossy, nuvo, yet still grungey lo-fi sounding prodigy-esque beat. it can happen, and probably will..

this quickly sparked smooth jazz/disco/funk revival in pop music is also fascinating, it's almost as if JT and bruno mars got a secret peak into daft punk's recording files and figured out.. whoa, guys, the next thing is gonna be old school disco.. start making beats like that now! lol

Guys you have got me so excited for happy hardcore going mainstream again.

Watmm trip to the Hardcore Heaven Weekender next year?

Archived