IGNORED

who should play the next Doctor Who?

Rubin Farr

Hopefully Capaldi's Doctor will be more serious, mysterious, and dare I say "darker" in his determinations...

I'm intrigued to say the least.

Capaldi apparently had a role in Dr Who in 2008.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Caecilius_Iucundus

I'm curious if they'll work that detail into the script or completely avoid it.

Btw, I'm not really a big Dr Who fan, but I like Capaldi.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another:

Why is the CG so terrible. Even after all this time with the new doctors, i watch some mini clip and they remind me yet again why i don't watch this. The CG is hopeless and they don't seem to care, makes me think that everything else about it will suck. It's funny cause they went to all the trouble of making that nice costume, but then the flying daleks are so ridiculously animated omG, they look like a bad gif and move like they're in 2-d space.

Here's another:

Why is the CG so terrible. Even after all this time with the new doctors, i watch some mini clip and they remind me yet again why i don't watch this. The CG is hopeless and they don't seem to care, makes me think that everything else about it will suck. It's funny cause they went to all the trouble of making that nice costume, but then the flying daleks are so ridiculously animated omG, they look like a bad gif and move like they're in 2-d space.

i guess nothing more than budget. they haven't got much of one.

isn't one of the tropes of Doctor Who incredibly bad special FX? even in the 80s, Star Wars and Star Trek had good looking aliens, while Who's monsters looked ridiculous.

nope. Bad CG is one of the worst things imaginable. They should all be crucified outside the BBC offices as a warning to any and all hoping to fill the now vacant positions.

'here stands CG artist number 12, he spent more time having liquid lunches down at the pub than studying lighting effects and polishing his models, his lack of passion for his role and overall unprofessional bumbling boobery is what finds his corpse now rotting in this position'

Hopefully Capaldi's Doctor will be more serious, mysterious, and dare I say "darker" in his determinations...

they dont really care about that, karen gillan was on the show before she was companion.

they dont really care about that, karen gillan was on the show before she was companion.

I doubt there's any need to address it. Now that The Doctor will be starting a new life cycle (rumours are he dies at the end of the Christmas special, and is brought back to life by the crack in time that was the Series 5 story arc) and his search for Gallifrey now that it's been restored and avoided destruction in the Time War.

It will be interesting to see what the long-term consequences of his actions to undo history will be...

Guest disparaissant

Just to showcase my nerdery, Romana II was played by Lalla Ward, who had previously played Princess Astra in the episode "The Armageddon Factor." Romana regenerated, and the fourth Doctor even made a joke about her choosing to look just like Princess Astra. (The real reason this happened was because after her first appearance on the show, Tom Baker and Lalla Ward ended up bumpin' uglies for a few years. And now she's married to Richard Dawkins.)

Also, Colin Baker was in the Peter Davison episode "Arc of Infinity," before he played the Doctor. So, they have a long track record of not giving a shit.

Just to showcase my nerdery, Romana II was played by Lalla Ward, who had previously played Princess Astra in the episode "The Armageddon Factor." Romana regenerated, and the fourth Doctor even made a joke about her choosing to look just like Princess Astra. (The real reason this happened was because after her first appearance on the show, Tom Baker and Lalla Ward ended up bumpin' uglies for a few years. And now she's married to Richard Dawkins.)

Also, Colin Baker was in the Peter Davison episode "Arc of Infinity," before he played the Doctor. So, they have a long track record of not giving a shit.

And, Karen Gilian was in The Fires of Pompeii (which also featured Capaldi), and she returned as the 11th Doctor's most annoying companion.

photo-7552.gif

And, Karen Gilian was in The Fires of Pompeii (which also featured Capaldi), and she returned as the 11th Doctor's most annoying companion.

See also Eve Myles as http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Gwyneth_(The_Unquiet_Dead) and Eve Myles as http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Gwen_Cooper and whatever Russell T Davis thinks "Spatial Genetic Multiplicity" means.

• 5 weeks later...

Truly awful episode and a cheap regeneration.

I really like it - thought it was a great sendoff for Matt, and I really, really like Capaldi - "Any chance you know how to fly this thing?" and those eyes - most expressive since Tom Baker!

I doubt Jenna will be around for much of Capaldi's first season as The Doctor - can't see modern Who going for the "much older guy with young pretty female assistant" vibe for long, or they introduce a male companion to take the love interest role. I do like the fact there was a "transitional" companion this time - it will be neat to see how she deals with the loss of her Doctor and getting used to this one.

Maybe this Doctor will finally come out.

Well, he did say he had to deal with (and create) an android boyfriend at one point in the episode... didn't quite say it was his. I doubt they'll make the character gay - it's about as self-serving to the overall narrative as his post 2005 sudden infatuation with women (versus the classic series, that never implied anything of the sort).

Archived