IGNORED

New Audio Format: High Fidelity Pure Audio

Joyrex

Universal Music Group is attempting to launch a new audio format to appeal to audiophiles:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/04/high-fidelity-pure-audio

In short: 24-bit 96KHz audio on Blu-Ray discs - aka Super Audio CD for this generation. They still think physical formats will sell in this digital age.

lead-1372964173.jpg

the sad thing is that this shit is being released because there are probably enough morons who still buy this kinda of stuff.

Apparently classical music is a niche that propels this kind of stuff into the mainstream, where it dies a quick death due to the lack of interest.

Essentially, this is .FLAC on disc - so I suppose this is a way to get higher quality recordings if the label doesn't offer FLAC downloads or similar...

Essentially, this is .FLAC on disc

Nope, that's a CD

:cisfor:

No, RTFA - CDs are 16-bit/44KHz, and these are 24-bit/96KHz - I thought the whole point of FLAC was to offer higher-fidelity audio with MP3-like compression?

Essentially, this is .FLAC on disc

Nope, that's a CD

:cisfor:

No, RTFA - CDs are 16-bit/44KHz, and these are 24-bit/96KHz - I thought the whole point of FLAC was to offer higher-fidelity audio with MP3-like compression?

nope, the whole point of FLAC is that it is a lossless format. FLAC files can be any bitrate and any sampling rate. FLAC is absolutely not MP3-like compression, which is lossy.

this is retarded for countless reasons. here's one. they are probably still going to squash the shit out of the audio that they put on these things with waves L2 or whatever limiter they use to ruin stuff these days. you don't need a high bit depth if all of the information is squashed into the top 10dB of it.

although i wouldn't put it past them to master these differently, without squashing them, so that when people hear what a little dynamic range sounds like they might be like 'wowwy wow wow these things DO sound better!'

yes thats right, i will bitch about it if they squash the audio on these AND if they don't. these dicks can't win with me. not after hearing remasters of stuff like pink floyd albums that have digital clipping on them. pretty sure it wasn't supposed to sound like that, dicks! it's funny that they've put themselves in a situation where just not screwing with stuff as much as they do would be perceived as an improvement, and they could actually do that as a marketing tactic.

the sad thing is that this shit is being released because there are probably enough morons who still buy this kinda of stuff.

those are the same morons that bought beats by dre

Universal Music Group is attempting to launch a new audio format to appeal to audiophiles:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/04/high-fidelity-pure-audio

In short: 24-bit 96KHz audio on Blu-Ray discs - aka Super Audio CD for this generation. They still think physical formats will sell in this digital age.

lead-1372964173.jpg

I went to school with Ben Grosvenor

Super Audio CD for this generation.

'cos they did amazing ! :lol:

Raster Noton have been doing this for a bit now - http://www.raster-noton.net/main.php?action=products&dat=189

Man, I had the chance to buy that when it came out.

Now the £50 one on discogs mocks me.

Oh yeah sorry, thread topic....ummm, yes. This is hilariously irrelevant.

Next!

Reinventing music!

16 bit / 44.1k is good enough for 99,999% of music. The 0,001% or less goes for symphonic crushendo moments at 120 dB loudness/difference in the signal but try listening that at home...and let me see you buying speakers for that first.

Reinventing music!

16 bit / 44.1k is good enough for 99,999% of music. The 0,001% or less goes for symphonic crushendo moments at 120 dB loudness/difference in the signal but try listening that at home...and let me see you buying speakers for that first.

this

I don't see how this audiophile version of tracks will work as people seem entirely happy listening to crap mp3s on the crappy speakers of their smartphone/laptop or their crappy headphones.

it's weird that I feel I can't even relate with dvds or cds in this day and age. I just fumble around with them like an ape. I legitimately purchased a dvd this week and had to sit through about 12 trailers before getting to the main deal which, on top of all that, shat itself midway through (scratched region?).

I wonder what the goal is if they're targeting this at the FLAC/audiophile crowd..?

Archived